Protecting Valuables

Gypsy Traveler

I was curious what everyone does to protect your valuables, firearms, birth certificates, SS cards, stuff like that. I have a safe at the house, but a 100lb safe isn't feasible for FT.

Thanks.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Fire is more probable than theft in an RV. I would protect against the greatest risk. To that end, I keep copies of my most valuable documents in my bugout bag so I can grab it on the way out the door every time I go out that door. The only time it doesn't go out the door with me is when I'm staying in camp or when Dave is there to grab it for me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Paper stuffs I only keep certified copies in my rig, and another set it my TV. The originals are in a safe deposit box. For personal property.... INSURANCE, insurance, insurance. :lol:

Extreme valuables are individually identified/documented on my policy.

Different items, differs solutions. For physical stuff like fire arms, jewelry and such you just need to make sure they are covered under your insurance. For a few documents you can get certified copies, like birth certificates, and keep the originals elsewhere. Other documents you can scan them into PDFs and copy them off site. We use both iCloud and our financial advisor also has a secure site to store electronic documents. Just depends on the type document.

Different items, differs solutions. For physical stuff like fire arms, jewelry and such you just need to make sure they are covered under your insurance. For a few documents you can get certified copies, like birth certificates, and keep the originals elsewhere. Other documents you can scan them into PDFs and copy them off site. We use both iCloud and our financial advisor also has a secure site to store electronic documents. Just depends on the type document.

I never thought of asking my Financial Advisor about that! Thank you for that idea!

Some motor homes actually have a safe installed as standard equipment. My '93 Foretravel, for instance, has a pretty decent sized safe. I'm not saying where it is. :D

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

A hidden safe might work for theft but it would be iffy during a fire. Have you ever seen how fast a RV burns? You wouldn't have time to get to the safe, open it, grab other things, and get out of there.

Like Linda Sand above, we always kept a portable fire box close to the door to grab quickly. We also took it with us during any repair facility visit. It's easy to grab fast. Of course, included were just copies of things and a small amount of cash to get us started in an emergency. The originals were stored on disk at daughter's house and we carried a disk, also.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks for the ideas. I wish I could do a safety deposit box but that means we'd have to return to where the box was located. I don't have any family and my husband doesn't have reliable family so I'm stuck on that one. I currently have a fire-proof box so I guess I'll keep that for paperwork.

Just keep your fireproof box locked and the key out of it so it can't get bounced open during a fire and it should do a decent job. We got one with a good fire rating and a gasket so it was water-resistant fairly cheaply at WalMart.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We did the same as Stanley for the box. We kept ours when traveling near the entry door but out is sight to be able to grab it in an emergency and in a space with outside access, on the opposite side from the refrigerator and well clear of the furnace & water heater when parked for extended periods. We also had/have a safety deposit box at our son's bank and he is also a signer and that is where the vehicle titles and critical papers are located.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a 2 drawer fireproof file cabinet in my MH.

Inside the top drawer there is 2 small fire proof safes.

The file cabinet's are not cheap.

I inherited mine from my mother.

It would take at least 2 thefts to carry it out.

After they figure out how it is bolted down, if they can. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Good question, and good answers...

Agree on taking copies of originals (notarized) .. as well as good hiding places..(tough to come up with)

As far as firearms, if hand guns specifically, take the time to get the right CCW's and just carry them with you all the time...

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I had planned on installing a fire resistant lock box in the trailer, and this thread has removed any lingering doubt about that. That is fine and well for documents. Firearms are another animal. Every state has different requirements, a CCW is not always reciprocal to where ever you might be and in most (all?) cases you have to be a resident to even apply for a CCW. I have found this site to be very helpful in planning if we are going to take firearms on a trip with us or not. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

You don't want anything that goes bang in with your important documents! They might survive a bit of charring but not a confined space explosion or the top being blown open.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks for the ideas. I wish I could do a safety deposit box but that means we'd have to return to where the box was located. I don't have any family and my husband doesn't have reliable family so I'm stuck on that one. I currently have a fire-proof box so I guess I'll keep that for paperwork.

You can engage a local attorney or other agent to access your safe deposit box for you, if need be. I would talk to your bank to see what they recommend, but it's very doable. Some banks provide services in-house.

My credit union has my key and has a limited power of attorney on file in the event I need to have original documents forwarded to me.

You can engage a local attorney or other agent to access your safe deposit box for you, if need be. I would talk to your bank to see what they recommend, but it's very doable. Some banks provide services in-house.

My credit union has my key and has a limited power of attorney on file in the event I need to have original documents forwarded to me.

Thank you. I will do that!

Archived