Truck wrap

jambro

Has anyone vinyl wrapped their truck, I got a price of 6200 for 3m wrap. It would be wrapped to match the camper but I think it's a little pricey. They say it will last about 8 years but paint is forever. Any pros, cons or input?

John & Mariann

2014 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB3

2004 Volvo 630 W/ smart car hauler bed

2015 Smart passion

Have been thinking of doing a partial of the top only. Have not priced anywhere. Did get a ball park of $20,000 to repaint from an acquaintance who I knew did truck painting. I know others here have actually had their trucks repainted and some who were talented enough to do it themselves.

Vinyl or paint it's all about the preparation and finish or so I have been told.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Wrap no but my paint started at $6000.

For three Colors I got carried away and it went up over $13,000 for semi show quality.

Send a PM to Allen F he is the resident painter and sure has a lot of experience with wraps.

Seems like a simple white paint job and you could contact your trailer manufacture for matching decals that it would be much cheaper.

I went through this last year with my trailer. Ended up having it painted here locally. Well under $15k for full body paint with three coats of clear. Job was good but not great. Priced several of the "known" trailer painters in Indiana and cheapest was $16,500 plus $1,000 to remove old caulking (didn't know why that would be a separate charge). Looked into the wrap as we have a place that does that locally. Would have been $5-6 k but was told was good for only about three years before fading.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

You should be able to get a truck painted with a good job for a little more than that. Very little.

Precision has done several semi trucks to match the trailers they were painting and I thought the work was well above average quality. Prices are highly dependent on what you want done, but expect in the 8K+ range for a good job.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You should be able to get a truck painted with a good job for a little more than that. Very little.

Precision has done several semi trucks to match the trailers they were painting and I thought the work was well above average quality. Prices are highly dependent on what you want done, but expect in the 8K+ range for a good job.

I Agree with jack, precision painted my truck, 4 colors and 3 clear coats and they replaced my doors. (I supplied the doors) they also painted the drom box. All for 12,500.00. They charged 2500.00 to change the doors. So for 10,000 you could get one hell of a paint job that lasts for ever. Or less depending on your needs and wants.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I had my trailer as well as the front of the truck done in Calgary coming up on 2 yrs ago. It was done to cover up over 100 nicks done by sloppy removal of existing decals by a firm in Calgary. Decals were a lot less than paint. Total cost was 35oo$ using a 3m product. SL Graphics did the decal work. Bonnie and Brent are the owners. Best to spend some xtra time and remove what moldings you can first. I didn't and will now have them removed and replaced by wider to cover the transition.

The price included purchasing the original decal from the web, modifying it significantly, prep and installation and a couple of modifications and changes later.

Send me an e-mail and I can provide more pics if you want.

Roger

If you are handy at all, it is not that difficult to do the work yourself.

Any good sign shop with up to date computers should be capable of helping you with the design, as well as making the wraps...

I have done several of my vehicles over the years, and with a lot of patience, some help, and obtaining the basic (simple) knowledge you can do it very easily.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

There is NO decal material, which is what a wrap is made of that will last anything like 8 years. Anyone who quoted that is not giving accurate information. After about 2-3 years it will be difficult to remove and after about 5 it will look bad enough you will want to replace it. Wraps are intended for temporary advertising themes, not a long term solution replacing a paint job.

I had my cabover painted in 2011, I disassembled everything that could be unbolted, and handed those pieces to the shop who painted them and the rest of the cab. The truck was out of service for 3 weeks and $7000 by one of the best shops on the east coast, Ross Body and Frame Allentown PA who is good enough to do work for Mack truck on an OEM basis.

One color, base coat/clear coat Imron( or its Dupont aftermarket product, Imron is actually only put on new vehicles OEM). The paint is now 4 years old and still draws many compliments. Don't skimp on this, Between repainting an 11 year old truck and putting in a Reman engine are the 2 smartest things I have done in 40 years of trucking.

We pick up new trailers at various manufacturers. One of them, Wabash in Lafayette IN takes the trade-in at that location. They have a special shop for "de identifying" old trailers, usually they are 6-10 years old, some wrapped, mostly company logos and various graphics. It is an expensive and very labor intensive process, and that is just on the plain flat aluminum side of the 53' road trailers. The biggest issue is removing the remaining adhesive, which over time does not cleanly peel off the aluminum.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

There is NO decal material, which is what a wrap is made of that will last anything like 8 years. Anyone who quoted that is not giving accurate information. After about 2-3 years it will be difficult to remove and after about 5 it will look bad enough you will want to replace it. Wraps are intended for temporary advertising themes, not a long term solution replacing a paint job.

I agree on about 3 years on the wrap. The only way I think you will see 8 years out of wrap is if the truck is garaged when not in use. I have a5x8 trailer I use for trade shows. The wrap is about 8 years old now. Still looks good but the trailer is stored in a dark garage when not in use. On average the trailer is only visible to sunlight/UV rays about 30 days a year.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

What if one were to go with a single color white Wouldn't look too good on my Gold I'm sure but may last longer.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived