Loading dead Smart car.

rdickinson

I may have to move someone's '05 Smart from Vancouver to Victoria for repairs if the Dealer figures they can fix it. Anyway, thinking about the best way to load it on the truck. There is no bar on the back of the dead car to hook onto with the winch. I could use both my towing eye and hers as well but pulling them on an angle could damage the car. Probably too heavy to push up that steep an incline.

I am thinking of doing what Ian did with his MDT shipped from Vancouver to Nova Scotia. Get a tilt deck wrecker, pull it onto the deck, back up to drivers side of my truck then push it on. Blocks of plywood or 2x material to make up any difference in height between the deck levels.

Input??

Building a bar would be far cheaper and easier if you already have the eye inserts for yours. Any welder can easily build the bar. See my truck pictures for what it looks like. You will have to put the eye in the right location for your winch - I forget where yours is. I "think" it is close to mine. Pics start HERE.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For a one time load a single tow eye hooked to your winch should suffice. Remember Smart only supplies one with the car so they must think their frame can handle it. If you feel you need to build a bar you can do it without paying a welder. My present one is bolted together and took less than an hour to fabricate. Will post a pic if you need to see it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Jack, I could take my bar, it has a second hole to the left of the one used on my car. Maybe it was a mistake or meant for Gen 2's. I'd need to know specific tools to re and re on both. No sense generating an expense for a single use item.

Suite, Good point. I have the eye from mine as well but maybe a single eye would be better. It would still be pulling on an angle.

This lady is plenty upset. Seems several have had a go at it possibly making things worse. It would be a big pick me upper for her if this could be pulled off. I should post pics.

R

I loaded our '05 with a nylon strap between the eye bolts and hooked to the winch for more than a year before the aluminum bar the tow eyes thread into started to deform. Should be no problem for a one time load.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

'05 Diesel, original owner, all service work done, woman owner is original owner.

Below is what she sent to me. Service records plus this were sent to 3 Point in Victoria.

The lady has been hung out to dry, hate seeing that so I figured I would stick my nose in it to see what could be done. I'm no gearhead but I know those who are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car will not start.

Prior to it no longer starting there was a gradual decline in the performance of the vehicle. The car became very sluggish and had trouble going up hills, sometimes you felt you wanted to help by pushing.

Starting would be harder where you would turn the key and it would take a while to catch. And then one day it just would not start. Sluggish decline happened over a period of a few months.

There's a valve, I would have to look up the name, but it's EGH or something like that. The part was replaced but the car still would not start.

The oil filter was looked into however that did not help anything. And then there was a turbo something that was replaced and it still would not start.

I don't know that I can spend as much as some have on it but I guess That is yet to be seen. I'm the original owner of the vehicle, a 2005 diesel and it was 25,500 when I purchased it.

It has had its regular maintenance and with the exception of one recommendation all work has been done. I don't recall what it was that I chose not to do however the mechanic said it would only impact me if I had a problem on long drives outside of the city.

Repair was part of a larger package recommendation and it was either 3000 or 6000 to do all of the work. I did the first 50% that was deemed the most important.

Thank you will send the other emails in a moment

LL

Strange, from everything I have seen and my dealings with him long distance, Eddy at Flying Tiger is a pretty straight shooter.

If I had to guess, and this is strictly a guess, it sounds like a "dusted" diesel engine to me. Gradual loss of compression until there is not enough to run. Seen fairly often on industrial applications with a lot of dust and leaks in the air intake.

Dennis & Nancy

Our Travel Blog

Not really enough info in her email to make an educated guess, so I'll refrain. Doesn't sound cheap, however. Eddie is recognized as the west coast go-to guy. If she has any intention to sell, I may have a buyers contact info.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It is really a guessing game. Engine compression is easy and cheap to test which will tell you if engine is got a major problem. Do these cars have a lift pump? That could be going bad and not enough pressure to the injection pump. The output pressure of the injection pump can be tested, high pressure, but cold crack fuel lines to injectors to see if you are getting any fuel to them. Injection pump usually cooled by fuel flow so if something in tank or lift pump is bad could destroy injection pump. Multiple bad or plugged injectors could have them POP tested or replaced. Plugged or plugging fuel filter and the one that can really reek havoc is getting gasoline put into the tank instead of diesel!!! Multiple ways for that to happen and not even the the owners fault.

I think I ran out. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

My high pressure fuel pump was leaking a little so it was able to be repaired before total failure. I have also been cautioned not to run the fuel down low. When it gets to 2 bubbles start looking for fuel. Something about a wire to the fuel pump over heating and causing failure. I will have to look that up. We should be so lucky to have that be the problem. It is a $500 fix.

Every time I see the discussions about hook/eyes and spreader bars---all I can think of is an old horse drawn single tree...post-9595-0-71281300-1420562590_thumb.jpg

So would the "Smart" thing to do be to call up a local Amish guy??? :P

As far as troubleshooting...it sure sounds like a low compression issue. Have the compression tested before replacing anything else.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Don't take it to Victoria.

Eddy at Flying Tiger in Richmond on Westminster Hwy East of knight st is the best, not just the best for the money but the best.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Every time I see the discussions about hook/eyes and spreader bars---all I can think of is an old horse drawn single tree...attachicon.gifsingle-tree.jpg

So would the "Smart" thing to do be to call up a local Amish guy??? :P

As far as troubleshooting...it sure sounds like a low compression issue. Have the compression tested before replacing anything else.

Ha! That's great Jeff, and exactly what they look like - what's old is new again!

Dennis & Nancy

Our Travel Blog

I would say Bob has it about right. I have a 99 Dodge Cummins and that is exactly how it died. Lack of fuel flow from the lift pump slowly did in my injection pump. The truck felt so sluggish I thought I was losing my tranny as the engine still "Sounded ok" but wasnt.

Archived