Greasing the wheel bearings

GR "Scott" Cundiff

Yea, I was a little surprised by it. It not a noisy job and is general maintenance. Our next move will be under a 100 miles. I'll repack it then. This park in right in middle of oil refinery country. There are more construction workers here than anyone else. Curious how all this works out. Most are not as "considerate" as us. I probably shouldn't have asked. Had never been turned downed though before.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 3 weeks later...

I just called my local RV shop yesterday on the topic of replacing and/or repacking my wheel bearings. The RV has been parked in the back yard for about 3 years (our business is booming).

Was quoted a price of $100 per axle plus parts. I think the bearings are about $25 each so should be about $300 plus taxes (2 axles x 4 bearings). I also will have them inspect the suspension and the brakes since they have the wheels off so probably another $50 or so for that, assuming no issues.

If I can get out the door with piece of mind before moving the RV about 200 miles to the coast in a couple of months, I'll be a happy camper. :D

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

TXCowboy, Unless you have some bad luck or a lot of miles on the rig the bearings should still be good, the brake drums may be a bit rusty but the shoes and magnets should still be fine too. Hopefully all you will need is a set of new seals and a can of grease.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

TXCowboy, Unless you have some bad luck or a lot of miles on the rig the bearings should still be good, the brake drums may be a bit rusty but the shoes and magnets should still be fine too. Hopefully all you will need is a set of new seals and a can of grease.

Stan, I certainly hope that is the case. I visually inspected the interior wheel areas and they all look clean.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

It's been a year and over 6K miles since the wheel bearings on my 5ver have been greased and I want it done again over the winter before we start another longer loop. It's beyond the scope of this post but I'm going to need to have it done this year. Does anyone have any tips on getting this done? What would be a reasonable price?

If it matters we're just east of Houston - but I'm looking for more general information here.

Thanks.

On the west coast, I go to a Tire Shop called "Les Schwab" and they do the complete wheel/bearing inspection, packing or replacement. They also do a complete check on the brakes and electric magnets. I suspect any shop that sells "Good Year tires" or Firestone tires can do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

don't pay anyone to change the shoes if required when doing bearings.BUY complete NEW backing plate assembles as their only 60$ per wheel and takes less time than changing out the shoes.

X2

I replaced all mine with self adjusting brakes-takes very little time to do it. I do my own repacks. If you try to do it yourself use a good high temp grease and make sure not to overtighten your bearings when you put the drum back on-a tight bearing will fail quickly. Good luck

Archived