is a on demand water heater worth it

ganto

is anyone using an on demand water heater in there rv. I have heard more bad than good about them. I hear there power hogs wich I can agree to!! but I also heard that they only raise the water temp about 40 degrees so if its 40 out that means i'll only have 80 degree hot water :ph34r: . I so much would rather have a tankless system than a tanked water heater

The biggest problem with tankless/demand water heaters is when the hot water faucet is opened, an incredible amount of energy, be that gas or electric, is required to instantly heat the water flowing. That is the problem in an RV, which has limited energy sources. Most RVs, except for the rare unit that has two 50 amp cables for electric, don't have the ability to heat water that fast, gas or electric. The common RV water heater is still the best option for hot water.

People with PrecisionTemp on demand propane hot water heaters seem to be happy with them. Other brands of propane on demand hot water heaters, not so much. This subject has been covered many times on this forum.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We installed a Precision Temp Tankless in our new Phaeton, and are pleased with it. There is a learning curve for satisfactory use of a tankless. The tankless uses MUCH less propane than a 10Gal tanked heater. Does not use 115V at all, and uses 12V very sparingly. We were not willing to go all electric to get an Aquahot!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

We have a tankless water heater and I don't like it at all! I'd switch it out for a 6-gallon regular RV water heater in a heart beat! There's no way I'd ever have another one in any other RV. (It is not a Precision Temp.)

I don't see how they can be an energy hog, though. It uses propane only when a hot water faucet is turned on and, while I don't know any numbers, I know it doesn't use much 12-volt power...I'm sure we'd notice the batteries going down with use, especially when taking a shower, if it used a lot of 12-volt power.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The biggest disadvantage I see is that you can't use free campground electricity to heat your water as you will only be able to use propane as a heat source for your hot water. Since I spend more time hooked up than I do dry camping this would be an unnecessary expense to gain the unlimited hot water option.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

Bill, I have a Precision Temp and I assure you that you will use very little propane with one. I go all summer on one 40# bottle using it for both cooking (range and gas oven) and hot water. That argument just doesn't hold (hot) water. :D

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Bill, I have a Precision Temp and I assure you that you will use very little propane with one. I go all summer on one 40# bottle using it for both cooking (range and gas oven) and hot water. That argument just doesn't hold (hot) water. :D

I go year around Full Time with my water heater on electric only. Last year used 8.0 gal LP total for cooking & heat.

The year before that 9.8 gal. Always use campgrounds with electric included, even on monthly stays.

Use 15K heat pump & a couple of 1500W set on 1200W space heaters for heat if needed.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Another problem with instant water heaters is many tend to use more water than a tank when first started. If you dry camp or stay in a park without sewer connections, you will be filling your grey tank with the water that runs through the system until the heater "heats".

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Obviously, each person's use is often quite different from that of others. "This salmon is wonderful" is not something one will ever hear from a person that does not like fish. This does not mean that it is not good advice. Just that it is useful to only some other people.

Context is everything and while I and a few others want long hot showers and unlimited hot water for bath and clothes these are not important talking points for others. We live in "Our RV" and to continue to be comfortable in it, together. This means that we both must continue to be satisfied. Having to depend on external tasks and altered behavioral states like laundromats and navy showers doesn't always make for a comfortable fit for everyone. They sure don't for us and so we have addressed it.

As often stated, Full Time RV life is not just extended camping. It is an ongoing home life, not an endless vacation. Whatever one does within their means to "make it so", rewards with peace and harmony for all.

Choose well.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 2 weeks later...

Back when we had an RV with a small water heater we never seemed to have enough hot water for both of us to take showers without waiting a long time in between. I researched and planned on installing an electric, tankless water heater in the cold water feed line to the onboard water heater. Thus, (1) we'd only have extra hot water when we had electric available and (2) we'd have instantly available hot water coming directly from the onboard heater and would just be pre-heating the water going into that heater. That way, the onboard heater wouldn't have to raise the water temp quite so much so replenishing the hot water wouldn't take so long.

Just as I was preparing to install the tankless heater we upgraded our RV to a newer unit that has a large water heater that provides plenty of hot water for 2 showers, thus, negating the reason to install the tankless heater.

If anyone installs, or has already installed a tankless heater that accomplishes the above described pre-heating goal please let us know how that is working out.

Does pre-heating the incoming water really enable the onboard water heater to recover faster?

How much faster?

2005 Dolphin 5342 LE Motorhome

2011 Honda CRV

Yes preheating enables faster recovery, how fast depends on the incoming water temp, the flow rate and the output temp of the tankless heater. If the tankless is getting the water to 110 degrees and you have the tank running both water and electric elements you should have zero recovery time, if you feed it colder water your time will go up a bit but still be way faster than heating cold outside water.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Guest ticat900

We installed a Precision Temp Tankless in our new Phaeton, and are pleased with it. There is a learning curve for satisfactory use of a tankless. The tankless uses MUCH less propane than a 10Gal tanked heater. Does not use 115V at all, and uses 12V very sparingly. We were not willing to go all electric to get an Aquahot!

I thought the 2015 Tiffin came standard with one? Why did u order a 2015 without one and then have to go to the Trouble to install one especially in a new unit?

Guest ticat900

One thing to mention is the LPG tankless water heater is designed to give you continuous hot water and not just for certain time/quantity period like a tank water heater does

that's the beauty of it plus your not having to have the LPG constantly kick in/out as water cools off in the holding tank.The LPG only fires when U demand hot water

I thought the 2015 Tiffin came standard with one? Why did u order a 2015 without one and then have to go to the Trouble to install one especially in a new unit?

Tiffin no longer offers the Tankless. The only way to get unlimited hot water now, at least on Phaeton, A-Bus, or Zephyr is with Aquahot, on an All Electric coach. All electric is not available on Allegro or Allegro Red. (And tankless wasn't available on these) We didn't want all electric because the 2 burner electric cooktop that Tiffin uses will not work on 30 amp service, which we spend 3-4 months a year attached to. Also, the electric cooktop does not simmer. As fulltimers, we cook a lot, and simmer is very important to us.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Guest ticat900

Tiffin no longer offers the Tankless. The only way to get unlimited hot water now, at least on Phaeton, A-Bus, or Zephyr is with Aquahot, on an All Electric coach. All electric is not available on Allegro or Allegro Red. (And tankless wasn't available on these) We didn't want all electric because the 2 burner electric cooktop that Tiffin uses will not work on 30 amp service, which we spend 3-4 months a year attached to. Also, the electric cooktop does not simmer. As fulltimers, we cook a lot, and simmer is very important to us.

should have gone aquahot (although Tiffin does not show as a option in 2015 specs?) works great as its tankless HW and hot fluid radient heat I have it and its great

Out of curiosity why would the 120V cooktop not work on 30 amp service?

I think Tiffin dropped the Tankless system because they had a lot of problems with the system

should have gone aquahot (although Tiffin does not show as a option in 2015 specs?) works great as its tankless HW and hot fluid radient heat I have it and its great

Out of curiosity why would the 120V cooktop not work on 30 amp service?

I think Tiffin dropped the Tankless system because they had a lot of problems with the system

Because it's a 240V cooktop. It is true that Tiffin dropped the Tankless due to the fact that Bob was having to replace a number of them due to customer dissatisfaction. He could have saved a lot of trouble if he would have dropped Price Pfister as the vendor of kitchen faucet fixtures. They are known for having flow issues, and Tankless heaters need a good water flow to work correctly. We put a tankless in our 08 Phaeton, and had issues with it until i changed the kitchen faucet to a Moen! Aquahot is definitely an option on the 2015 Phaeton and standard on the Bus and Zephyr. It is not available on Allegro, Allegro Red or Breeze.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

• 4 weeks later...

Installed a Gerard tank less HWT in my new TT. My TT did have a 6gal. I went on one work trip and decided it wasn't for me. I love the endless hot water coming into my TT. You will need to play with the BTU knob. The water temp and flow of the water will determine where you will need to set you BTU knob. I use my camper for work and travel all over the US. When I camp I have full hook Ups so I'm not concerned about my holding tank levels.

• 2 weeks later...

We do not have a tankless in our rig yet but I have extensive experience with them in our home here in Mexico. I have had a number of them (4 different ones over 15 years). My first had a small 4 gallon tank and worked great. The next had a 6 gallon tank and was terrible with low water pressure so I changed it to a tankless made by Bosch. It was horrible with low pressure as the burner kept going off then you had to shut the tap off and back on to restart the burner.

This past week the Bosch packed it in after about 7 years and I purchased a new Rheem from Costco for about $250 and it works perfect. It is small and may fit into many RV's. It is propane only and only uses 2 D batteries for ignition. Might be worth taking a look.

Archived