Laundry

norton83

Thank you for all the input!!! I myself am leaning towards a washer and dryer simply because I like the convenience. Besides, when I have had to use laundry mats in the past, I tend to turn into an "unhappy camper" just having to lug it back and forth not to mention the cost. I,too, want to have a drying rack so that most things can be hung out to dry. Since we have not started full-timing yet this is our learning curve and your experience helps us. Again, thank you!

Mark & Darcy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for all the input!!! I myself am leaning towards a washer and dryer simply because I like the convenience. Besides, when I have had to use laundry mats in the past, I tend to turn into an "unhappy camper" just having to lug it back and forth not to mention the cost. I,too, want to have a drying rack so that most things can be hung out to dry. Since we have not started full-timing yet this is our learning curve and your experience helps us. Again, thank you!

Mark & Darcy

Do be aware that some parks won't let you put your drying rack outside so get one that fits inside somewhere if you always want to be able to use it. Plus, some places are so dusty you won't want to dry clothes outside anyway.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We never had a drying rack as such but we had what we thought was a good substitute when we wanted to give our bedding some fresh air. We'd put the awning out with the tube set as high as possible and run a nylon rope back and forth between the support legs. Not sure how that would work with some of the fancy new style awnings though.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Put us in the "for" group. We started out with our Sears Stackable in 1996 and are still using it today. For me, it is well worth it as I can do laundry any time and do as little or as much as I want. I also like that I don't have to lug everything to the laundry room and back but that is just for me. The convenience of having them onboard is super and they sure have paid for themselves over more than once. I had room for them and for the few things I prefer to hang to finish drying, the shower is right across the way and is very handy. I just use a twist out rod that fits perfectly and makes it easy to hang things. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

We bought a used Cameo fifth wheel 3 years ago that came with a stacked washer and dryer. The first time we used the washer, it ran over and flooded the up and down stairs, what a mess. I removed both units, sold the dryer and built shelves in the closet. After a year we found a combo Harier unit for sale on CL and gave it a try which allowed us to keep half of the closet shelves we had gotten used to. The wife loves it and she does a load every other day on her schedule. We use a portable drying rack either inside or outside and rarely use the dryer. We full time and about half the time laundry facilities are available which we use readily to preserve our unit. Note: Last April/May we hosted at Edisto State Beach SP in SC and the nearest laundry was 30 miles inland. The Harier unit was worth its weight in gold that 2 months.

Greg

Everyone has their priorities. I do not have a drier in my current immobile abode, so It will surely be low on the list when space and weight become of prime importance in a mobile rig. I currently air-dry everything (except our heavy comforter). The sun is the best disinfectant there is, and a clothes line is more gentile on our clothes than a drier, making them last longer. For the extra weight, space and money I save by not carrying a washer & drier with me that's an extra battery and/or solar panel can add to make my rig a more capable and comfortable boondocking rig (not to mention the extra space freed-up.)

This leads me to consider a small, water-efficient, zero electric consumption, hand washing machine like the Wonderwash http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/The-Wonderwash for doing small loads when boondocking, saving the major loads for laundry mat days, when I must go to town to take on water, victuals and to haul off trash and dump. This seems the most efficient use of time and resources, since I'm already wasting half a day, burning fuel going into town. If in a RV park or CG with a laundry mat (as I plan on staying in maybe 1/2 the time) I will simply go there, timing my machine usage to odd hour, low use times, using their driers sparingly, and finish drying my clothes hanging them inside. If the park laundry is unacceptable, for whatever reason, I can always use the closest commercial laundry as a back-up.

The cost of doing so will be slightly offset by the cost and depreciation of an inside washer/drier, and the electricity and gas it would use. Reducing drier use will save even more. Sure, in the long run it will prove a little more expensive than owning one's own equipment, but the added space and carrying capacity makes me think it's a good trade off. Plus 50% of the time when I'm boondocking, the onboard washer/drier will just be dead weight when there's little water and electricity to spare for washing clothes. This would double the payback time on an onboard washer/drier combo too, making the economic viability and practicality of an onboard washer/drier less for us than for those who rarely live off-grid. Those boondocking for extended periods with an onboard washer/drier must still go into town to use the laundry mat, or move the rig and pay for a night at an RV park (an even more expensive option) anyway, right?

Chip

Those boondocking for extended periods with an onboard washer/drier must still go into town to use the laundry mat, or move the rig and pay for a night at an RV park (an even more expensive option) anyway, right?

Not necessarily. See my second post above.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Not necessarily. See my second post above.

Thanks, Rif. I've got a few questions.

What brand and model washer do you use? How many gallons does your washer take to wash and rinse a load? I guess the next question is how much laundry can you fit in a load? Enough to get by with 1 load/wk or must you do multiple loads/wk?

This is valuable info that I'm sure many here, including me would benefit from hearing, as I'm still in planning stages. I just thought that running a washer off an inverter for a 20-30 minute cycle of wash/rinse would burn up a lot of battery power. I'm sure I could still get by without a drier though. What do you think about the mini-washers/spin driers?

Chip

sushidog, on 18 Nov 2014 - 9:13 PM, said:sushidog, on 18 Nov 2014 - 9:13 PM, said:sushidog, on 18 Nov 2014 - 9:13 PM, said:

What brand and model washer do you use? How many gallons does your washer take to wash and rinse a load? I guess the next question is how much laundry can you fit in a load? Enough to get by with 1 load/wk or must you do multiple loads/wk?

This is valuable info that I'm sure many here, including me would benefit from hearing, as I'm still in planning stages. I just thought that running a washer off an inverter for a 20-30 minute cycle of wash/rinse would burn up a lot of battery power. I'm sure I could still get by without a drier though. What do you think about the mini-washers/spin driers?

Chip

you'll probily have to run the generator when you run the washer and dryer!! I don't think the batteries would even handle that load

What brand and model washer do you use?

We have a Whirlpool front loader. I can't find the model number but since it is a few years old the number has probably changed anyway. It is the 24" wide model that is also only 24" deep. I think its rated capacity is 2 cu. ft.

How many gallons does your washer take to wash and rinse a load?

I have never actually measured it, and it does vary depending on the amount of clothing and which cycles (pre-wash, extra rinse, etc.) are selected. The amount of water used is automatic in that the washer puts in the amount it needs depending on how much clothing you put in it.

My fresh water tank holds 90 gallons. When full we have done 3 loads of laundry and the gauge still reads above 2/3, but usually less. My best guess is that it takes 10 to 15 gallons of water per load, depending on the aforementioned variables.

I guess the next question is how much laundry can you fit in a load? Enough to get by with 1 load/wk or must you do multiple loads/wk?

Over the years I've learned that there are many different approaches to doing laundry. Some folks toss everything in together. Others sort laundry into several categories. Some folks use regular bleach in some of it and color safe bleach in another. Some folks use no bleach at all. The same goes for fabric softeners. Whatever works. We usually do 2 to 4 loads per week. We do a load of whites, a load of non-whites, a load of sheets, and a load of towels and robes. Often something gets combined with something else so we end up with only 2 loads. If we are washing white sheets they will often go in with the other whites. It's also not unusual for us to go 2 weeks between laundry days, depending on our activities and the climate. We don't have a regular laundry day. We wash when we have enough to make it worthwhile or when necessary.

We don't usually do all the laundry the same day. There's no real reason to. Since we choose to use a dryer instead of air drying our laundry it works better for us to use the generator for only an hour or so each laundry day. We often take advantage of the generator running to do other things that require a lot of power at the same time. By doing only one load each day it gives us a way to spread out the generator use through the week. For example, if it has been cloudy and the batteries have not been getting a good solar charge we will take advantage of the generator time to bulk charge the batteries while running the dryer.

This is valuable info that I'm sure many here, including me would benefit from hearing, as I'm still in planning stages. I just thought that running a washer off an inverter for a 20-30 minute cycle of wash/rinse would burn up a lot of battery power.

I expected it to also but I was surprised to discover that these front loaders just don't use all that much power except on the spin cycle, and even that's no a lot. I have a monitor on my Magnum 2800 watt pure sine wave inverter that lets me see how much 12V electricity is being used. (By the way, I tried to run the washer off my previous Freedom 458 modified sine wave inverter. It would not work.) The washer only requires a 15 amp 120V circuit and actually draws far less than that, and most of the time during the cycle it is drawing almost none. As the tub turns I see perhaps 20-40 12V amps being used for a few seconds. Then it sits a few seconds and the tub makes a few turns the opposite direction, again using 20-40 amps. (In actuality I rarely ever see any power taken from the batteries because my solar panels supply plenty, and we normally wash during the afternoon when the batteries are not able to take all the power the solar panels can generate.) During the spin cycle I can see as much as 60-80 12V amps being used by the inverter, but that only lasts a couple minutes and is less than half what my microwave uses.

If you prefer not using a dryer that is great, but I though I'd pass along our experience with our dryer as well. We have a Kenmore/Whirlpool front load 120V dryer. It matches the washer. There is no way I would try to run it off the inverter as it has a large electric heating element and the drum turns continuously. I did however discover that it runs just fine on the Honda 2000i generator. I found I don't necessarily have to fire up the big Onan.

I'm sure I could still get by without a drier though. What do you think about the mini-washers/spin driers?

Chip

I have no opinion about them since I have no experience with them.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if I missed anything or if you have additional questions.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

you'll probily have to run the generator when you run the washer and dryer!! I don't think the batteries would even handle that load

I plan on having a large battery bank so I shouldn't have problems running a washer, through an inverter, though it will probably impact my use of my solar heat pump for a day. I won't be using a heated drier, but this little spin drier should shorten my clothes drying time on the line. http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/Mini-Countertop-Spin-Dryer It only draws 82 watts for 2-3 minutes. Or this one: http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/Spin-Dryer I just think the more I can reduce my power use for non-essential items, the more I will have left for comfort. I would rather tumble a load by hand in a Wonderwasher for a five minutes once or twice a week, if I can save a few gallons of water and a few ah of battery power. Just think of all the money I'll save on Gym memberships getting all this exercise! :D

Chip

We purchased one after about 8 months on the road. The negative things are mostly true. They do smaller loads, take longer, etc However they are very handy. We do small loads sometimes two or three times a week. I mean you put in some liquid push a couple of switch's that's it. we have rarely used public laundry facilities in cities but do use facilities in campgrounds when needed. I am sure there are filthy facilities out there even though it would be poor business not to keep the campground facilities clean. We have not yet seen a laundry facility we would not use. We use the facility here in our winter campground to do big loads or bulky loads.

We are in the must have group in fact the splendide is running now doing our Disney costumes for later on.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Thanks for your detailed answers Rif, I really appreciate it! The power draw doesn't sound bad for the convenience, plus it sounds like you use your generator very efficiently. 10-15 gallons of water/load is about what we both use to bathe - not an insignificant amount for a smaller tanked rig, but less than I thought - not bad considering, though I'm sure it's twice what a Wonderwasher would use. That's a lot to think about. Thanks for the info.

Chip

I plan on having a large battery bank so I shouldn't have problems running a washer, through an inverter, though it will probably impact my use of my solar heat pump for a day. I won't be using a heated drier, but this little spin drier should shorten my clothes drying time on the line. http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/Mini-Countertop-Spin-Dryer It only draws 82 watts for 2-3 minutes. Or this one: http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product/Spin-Dryer I just think the more I can reduce my power use for non-essential items, the more I will have left for comfort. I would rather tumble a load by hand in a Wonderwasher for a five minutes once or twice a week, if I can save a few gallons of water and a few ah of battery power. Just think of all the money I'll save on Gym memberships getting all this exercise! :D

Chip

GET out of my head LMAO!! I won't have a large battery bank starting out though I will build it up over time along with the solar panels as well as a solar heat pump. i was thinking of getting one of them spin driers like you mentioned and a folding clothes rack and putting a fan or a heather in front of them to help with drying em!! you might be interested in this washer i dunno http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-Portable-Washing-Capacity/dp/B00AW04ZMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416432060&sr=8-1&keywords=panda+washer&pebp=1416432080616. this looks interesting and it seems like a pretty good buy.

Thanks for the link, Ganto. I guess great minds think alike. :rolleyes: Indeed it looks interesting, but consumes quite a bit of power and looks, complex and easy to break. The manually operated Wonderwasher looks simpler and more durable, though the Panda brand has been around a while and has good reviews. The second spin drier I posted a link to handles a 13.8 lb. load while the combo you linked to only spin dries 3.5 lbs., so I don't think it would do bed linen, ( I think one pair of our jeans exceeds that - not to say DW is heavy, but... ;) ) making it impractical for all but the smallest loads. I think the stand alone spin drier matches better with the Wonderwasher's washing capacity. If they made a washer the size of this spin drier that washed, rinsed and dried in the same tub, that would be ideal for someone wanting to completely automate their laundry in a compact, economical package. I would still prefer the versatility of separate units though.

Chip

sushidog, on 19 Nov 2014 - 2:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the link, Ganto. I guess great minds think alike. :rolleyes: Indeed it looks interesting, but consumes quite a bit of power and looks, complex and easy to break. The manually operated Wonderwasher looks simpler and more durable, though the Panda brand has been around a while and has good reviews. The second spin drier I posted a link to handles a 13.8 lb. load while the combo you linked to only spin dries 3.5 lbs., so I don't think it would do bed linen, ( I think one pair of our jeans exceeds that - not to say DW is heavy, but... ;) ) making it impractical for all but the smallest loads. I think the stand alone spin drier matches better with the Wonderwasher's washing capacity. If they made a washer the size of this spin drier that washed, rinsed and dried in the same tub, that would be ideal for someone wanting to completely automate their laundry in a compact, economical package. I would still prefer the versatility of separate units though.

Chip

your welcome for the link!! yes great minds do think alike!! I thought it was interesting but I didn't look at the specs either so I didn't think that it used to much power :blink: . I have never heard of the panda brand but everyone gives it great reviews. I have always been curious about the wonder washer and seeing if it washes as good as people say it does. but you'll still be doing your bedding at the Laundromat!! and don't say your gonna invest in a bucket and a plunger to wash your bedding in :D:blink: ROFL. i would probily go residential units front loading when i get my washer and dryer. it's amazing all the toys these rv's have em them today :blink: everything from big screen TV's to central vacs

• 3 months later...

Ours are separate, the Wonder Wash sits in the bathtub, and the smart dryer hangs from our rear ladder. We use a laundry mat occasionally for larger things, like when our dog wet the bed last summer, and we had to fix that in a hurry. Lol This system works great for us, and we almost never camp where there is electricity.

I've researched the laundry issue. Some swear by an onboard unit, some swear by laundry mats because they don't want the extra weight of the unit on the trailer. I opted for a combo unit in our 5er. I figure I can do the big stuff like sheets at the campground. I just want the convenience of an onboard washer. We are still 3 weeks away from full timing so we'll see how this all works out on the road.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I've researched the laundry issue. Some swear by an onboard unit, some swear by laundry mats because they don't want the extra weight of the unit on the trailer. I opted for a combo unit in our 5er. I figure I can do the big stuff like sheets at the campground. I just want the convenience of an onboard washer. We are still 3 weeks away from full timing so we'll see how this all works out on the road.

We do sheets in our combo unit every week, it just requires two loads. I do hope you got a vented model.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I've been full-timing for only about 6 months now, but I knew I hated laundromats. Expensive, who knows what was the last thing washed, have to bother finding one before the last of the clothes is dirty, have to kill time there waiting instead of at home doing something I want to do, etc.

I looked for a 5th wheel with a stacked washer and dryer. The one I finally found had a Splendide combo (with a deep freezer stacked on top of it). For me, it's great. I'm really happy it turned out this way, because I enjoy having a decent size freezer. I run a load every 2 or 3 days and I am able to just start them and walk away, doing things I like.

If my wife and 6 kids were living in the 5th wheeler with me ????? I do believe the stackable units would be better. However at that level, maybe you would have to fall back to a laundromat anyway? Generally, I think if a 5th wheel is big enough, then a combo unit would be big enough. Just MHO.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Some of the best social encounters I've made have been in coin laundries,, both in campgrounds and in town. Don't rule them out. I do laundry twice a month all at once in multiple machines, It's a huge time saver and I don't have to haul around machines and water. Incidnetally I really like those dye absorbing sheets. If I have a mixed load, I don't have to separate whites and colors. Janet Groene

We do sheets in our combo unit every week, it just requires two loads. I do hope you got a vented model.

I did get vented. I can do sheets? Now I AM excited!!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Archived