Avera Health Insurance

We are needing to acquire new health insurance. We have a SD domicile. We are 62. We are fulltimers and need a policy that works nationwide. We talked to an agent who recommended Avera. Have not been able to find much info on this company. Is anyone familiar with or use this company? Thanks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AM Best has these two listings:

http://www3.ambest.com/ratings/entities/SearchResults.aspx?URatingId=0&bl=0&AltSrc=1&PPP=&AltNum=0&Ext_User=&Ext_Misc=

If they don't come up right away put Avera in the search box and then they will.

Who is AM Best:

A.M. Best Company is a global credit rating agency with a unique focus on the insurance industry. Insurance professionals, brokers, regulators and consumers refer to Best's Credit Ratings as an opinion of the financial strength and creditworthiness of risk-bearing entities and investment vehicles. Watch a video to learn more about A.M. Best's corporate mission and values.

We applied yesterday. We will see how it goes. I did find out that Avera does now offer a PPO that will cover rv'ers that are domiciled in SD. Anyone seeking info try RVerHealthInsurance.com Kyle was very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I am finding out. Our "coverage" started 8/1 and today received notice that they are reneging on their out of network coverage. Not good news for us and I am sure many other fulltime Southdakotans. I took them all of 29 days to screw us over. Not exactly sure what we will do now. I do not understand what is different in SD that the insurance companys will not play the ACA game. We have had SD as our domicile for14 years. It looks like that may have to change. Not looking forward to all the crap we will have to go through to change everything. Thanks Avera, ACA and SD.

I have never been domiciled in SD so have no experience in the health care issue there, but there have been others who reported similar experiences to yours. I believe that Jack Mayer is one of them. I hope that you can find a solution. Keep us posted on what yu find if you will be so kind!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

we signed up for Sanford Health Insurance (in South Dakota) through the ACA last November effective in January 2014. They dropped us after 30 days when we could not provide proof of a permanent residence in SD. They wanted a copy of mortgage, lease agreement, utility bills, tax bills etc. none of which we could provide since we only used a popular RV mail service in SD for our address. Shortly after Sanford dropped us and several other RVers Avera popped up saying they would gladly provide RVers with a National plan through the exchange even with a mail service address. I was pretty skeptical of them since their policy was a HMO policy and not meant to be used "out of network" except in extreme and isolated incidents. We went ahead and switched all of our residency from SD to Texas (Escapees in Livingston) and signed up for BCBS and were never questioned about our address. Looks like we made the right decision as now, per Kyle at RVhealthinsurance (via facebook), they are dropping all RVers in SD who do not have a sticks and bricks address.

Phil

http://workinrvers.blogspot.com

2002 Winnebago Journey DL

2010 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

2007 Dodge Dakota

Barb, Fortunately we have not had any claims to worry about. As to how can they renege on a contract, they simply tell you they are changing the contract and I guess if you don't like it, get a lawyer. We are the only one that must uphold a contract. Insurance companies, IMHO are licensed thieves I guess I better leave it at that

Phil, How difficult was it do do all the changes? I am dreading going through all the hoop jumping. Hopefully the Escapees will be able to help us make seamless transfer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Start your move with this booklet from the main Escapees site:

http://www.escapees.com/mailservice/Docs/texan.pdf

We really appreciated South Dakota when we were full time since we had legal issues that ruled Texas out but today I'd use Escapees and either Texas or Florida as my domicile.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Barb, Fortunately we have not had any claims to worry about. As to how can they renege on a contract, they simply tell you they are changing the contract and I guess if you don't like it, get a lawyer. We are the only one that must uphold a contract. Insurance companies, IMHO are licensed thieves I guess I better leave it at that

Phil, How difficult was it do do all the changes? I am dreading going through all the hoop jumping. Hopefully the Escapees will be able to help us make seamless transfer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

wasn't hard to do, just research it through the link provided by Stanley and it's pretty straightforward. We got our registrations changed by mail and had everything in hand before walking into the BMV once we got to Texas and it worked out well.

http://workinrvers.blogspot.com

2002 Winnebago Journey DL

2010 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

2007 Dodge Dakota

It took us one day to do all the changes, including getting the license, etc. We later went back and got Class A licenses (a year later). That took a week - the driving test appointment was the long pole on that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Does anyone know if any of the insurance companies who provide Medicare supplemental policies (not Advantage policies) in SD are trying to do anything like this? Medicare supplements have always been national in scope rather than being tied to regional networks, but I believe pricing is by State and it's conceivable that an insurer could argue it wanted to exclude people who weren't actually in the state for much of the year. Our Medicare supplement is through my previous employer so it isn't affected, but I wondered about the impact on others.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 1 month later...

I will be dropped from my former employer's retiree coverage 11/30 because I will be Medicare eligible 12/1. That being said I will enter into a Medicare Supplemental reimbursement program that is sponsored by my former employer through a specific insurance agency. When I signed up I chose a Wellmark BCBS plan and all looked great until I received a letter in the mail today from Wellmark asking for "Proof of Residency" in the form of a tax statement, property liability/casualty insurance statement, monthly utility statement, or a copy of a signed lease agreement. It appears we will be jumping through hoops over the next 6 weeks to establish a new domicile in either TX or FL. :(

When I signed up I chose a Wellmark BCBS plan and all looked great until I received a letter in the mail today from Wellmark asking for "Proof of Residency" in the form of a tax statement, property liability/casualty insurance statement, monthly utility statement, or a copy of a signed lease agreement. It appears we will be jumping through hoops over the next 6 weeks to establish a new domicile in either TX or FL.

Where do you domicile at present? This shouldn't be a problem in TX but a lot depends upon the company that you do business with.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm just speculating, but my guess is that SD just doesn't have a large enough population to support a diversity of health insurance carriers that can provide the kind of options that domicilers need.

On top of that, it seems none of the carriers that do serve SD understand that the state has many laws aimed at accommodating RVers who are only domiciled in the state. In other words, the health insurance corporations are unable to recognize this slice of the market. Or, it is just too small for them to bother with in SD.

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out that DakotaCare, with whom we've had health insurance for a year, is now dropping nationwide-network PPOs for full timers (with PMBs only in SD). Our policy ends 11/30 and we're in the middle of a multi-month course of treatment, so this is suddenly serious for us. My SD agent actually recommended "moving" to Texas! We've been domiciled in SD for all of two years, and we chose SD for what seemed like very good reasons at the time. But now it looks like Texas BCBS is about our only option for a PPO, that allows nationwide-network providers to be used. We're already SKPs but now have to get the Livingston PMB as well. And of course we'll be paying higher premiums for a plan that has a substantially higher annual deductible. Not complaining; just happy to find suitable coverage! Texas here we come!

We will have to get TX DLs, but so far the info I've received suggests we can keep our vehicles registered in SD. Not so sure about that one...

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Well, it turns out disaster is averted for at least the next year. My agent called me this morning to let me know after he looked more closely at my account, he realized my plan expires BEFORE the end of the year, unlike 90% of his other clients. Apparently that changes the game at DakotaCare. After speaking with their Dir of Mktg he informed me that we are able to keep our same plan for another 12-month period. Whew!

I'll find out early next week what the new premiums will be; I'm sure they'll go up at least 20%, but the Texas BCBS premium quoted me was 24% higher and with a higher annual deductible as well.

I guess Texas will have to do without us for another year...

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

You are lucky. I am still waiting to hear something from Avera.The last I heard, they were trying to work something out with the state. It would be nice if something was decided so if we have to make a change, we will have some time to do it. I would still like to know what exactly the problem is that the PMB thing is creating. Oh well, I guess a clear explanation of a very confusing topic is just asking too much. I am going to contact Avera later this week and see what they have to say. I will post anything I find out. Wish me luck.

After speaking with Avera this afternoon, it appears there is no hope of this issue being resolved. I had kept hoping that something could be resolved, but I guess not. No one can satisfactorily explain the reason they are denying coverage other than we do not have a real address. So,I guess it is "adios" to South Dakota. I am not looking forward to all the changes, but do not want to give up the lifestyle. I will cancel our plans of going to southern CA this winter and head for TX to get everything changed around. Anyone else having to do the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I just went full time last April. Changed everything to South Dakota in May. Drivers license, 3 vehicle registrations and all my insurance. Use a mail forwarding service as my address. Went with Avera for health ins. Now am being told my policy won't renew after the 1st of the yr. Ins agent and mail forwarding service recommended that I go thru Escapees and get a TX address. Waiting for Nov 15th open enrollment so I can get quotes on new health insurance and will have to go to TX to get a drivers license and change everything to TX including the mail forwarding. Wish I had just gone with Escapees first.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived