Chimacum Waiting List

garyb1st

The Chimacum list is about half as long as it was when we paid our lot deposit just over two years ago. This is good news but it also causes some concern. The good news is, we will likely be able to purchase a lot this year. When we paid our deposit, the waiting list was over 150 and I expected it would be 5 or 6 years before we could purchase. As of February 11, the list is only 83. Does anyone know what has happened?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same thing happened at Timber Valley a few years ago. Root cause stated was the aging population in the park. Many of the original SKPs have moved on the assisted living, nursing homes or died.

Timber Valley is a few years older than Evergreen is.

I have noticed that the list is moving at a rate of about 10 spots per month. When we signed up in May 2012, the rate was about 3.5 per month. Could be April or May for us.

It looks like the list was also cleaned up recently. Perhaps people had forgotten that they had signed up several years ago and are no longer interested.

One problem that Evergreen is experiencing is an aging septic system. Future assessments are a good possibility that could be scaring a few away. It is still worth it to us.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

The septic assessments at Evergreen Coho are definitely part of the answer, with more coming, The aging population can also be very resistant to raising maintenance fees and any other changes. With some turnover that will change. I also know people who decided once their name made it to the top of the list to drop off, much like lasttruck implied. Evergreen Coho is still a bargain, but not to those barely making by with the old costs.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I think that Jim has it pretty accurate. We first started to look at the coop parks about 10 years ago and nearly all of them had very long waiting lists. Over the years that list will surge in length and then slowly shorten again. We saw that in particular with Evergreen-Coho and Lone Star Corral which are the two we have watched most closely but there was a time when Park Sierra had no wait list at all. I've not heard any report on that recently. Saguaro has no available lots at present and The Ranch has about a dozen lots immediately available.

There are many things that play into the number of available sites. Since the parks were established and most first leased out all at the same time, the population all aged together and those issues tend to cause surges in the number of available lots. Over time the age span of the residents is probably becoming more diverse. No doubt the current economic conditions has had at least some impact also with the number of people seeking lots but it also might cause members already there to choose not to leave. I'd not be surprised if the flood at The Ranch is part of the reason for so many available lots there, but really don't know. If Marge is reading this, she could probably correct or confirm that thought.

We eventually withdrew from the wait lists we had been on because we wanted to have a more permanent structure than an RV or park model. We found a place that operates similarly to the coop parks but allows for a home as well as the RV cover with structures limited in size and living space limited to 900 sq. ft & two people. All of the co-op parks are more restricted than that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Many coop lists are short or there is no list. The list at Rover's Roost (Casa Grande AZ) is now quite short (29 a few weeks ago when we visited) and friend's got a lot a Jojoba Hills (Aguanga CA) in January within a couple weeks of getting on the list.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Unlike the other forums I post to, I was not alerted when a response to this post was made. Is there something I need to do to make that happen?

Usually when you post in a thread you automatically become subscribed to it, and then get email updates whenever someone adds to it. At the top of each thread is a small light blue shaded box on the right side that says "Follow This Topic". Click on that box and you will get updates.

Make sure the "Follow this Topic" is checked at the top right as a first step. Second check your spam foilder to see if your mail provider dumped the message there, alsdo some systems reject mail from Escapees once in a while.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

There will be more openings soon in Chimicum. Look, the following comments are honest representations of what I personally saw when I visited last summer AND what friends who live there told me told me. I don't mean to be vindictive in any manner, but my personal experience at Chimicum:

1. The place is beautiful, but I was very suprised to see so many "park homes". Trailers that have been fixed up to look like chalets or log cabins. I was also surprised to experience a stronger-than-expected sewer odor throughout much of the park.

2. My friends who live there plan to leave this summer b/c they told me that the in-fighting has soared out of control. Apparently egos have ballooned, and the back-stabbing and bitchiness has become intolerable, with residents pressured into choosing sides and becoming involved in petty arguments and control issues. I don't know this as fact, but my friends told me that it's the primary reason why they're leaving this summer.

3. Again, according to my friends, my understanding is that RV parks are limited in the number of "mobile homes" or "park homes" that can be on-site before they lose some kind of tax exemption or tax exclusion. ??? Honestly, I don't remember the specifics, but I just remember that the number of mobile or park homes on site has the potential to create problems with the town or the county and it's enough for my friends to want to get out soon.

Hopefully the issues can be addressed and the park can be restored to an attractive place to stay. But in the meantime...be forewarned and do your homework!

Joe

Peaked roof park models are allowed by Jefferson County, but they must be RV type, not mobile home structures. I wonder if there is a limit in number or percentage.

What I do know is that the septic system is getting to the end of it's useful life span and is needing replacement. That will probably lead to assessments to cover the costs.

There had been a problem items being put down the toilets that should not have been and that has led to some hard feelings. Hopefully, time will help with that.

We spent several hours looking at the bylaws and meeting minutes (available in the clubhouse) and have noticed nothing in there that is not common in a fairly run community. Some of the Home Owner Associations and Condo Associations out there are pretty scary.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

We're wintering in the area again this year. Though not at the SKP park, we are good friends with a couple who moved in there a few months ago. I'll see if I can get some inside dope!

FX

John & Diane, fulltiming with Lincoln the guard cat.

2002 Dutch Star 40DP towing our 2004 Honda Element

Escapees, FMCA, Good Sam, FCOC, NKK

We had a lot at Chimacum and let it go based on the same reasons Joe has outlined. We were never able to spend any time there but were inundated with emails about the good guys and bad guys and asking us to take sides in polls and surveys. We were also informed that the septic system was in bad shape and needed to be upgraded at large expense. We do not want this type of environment and opted out.

We had spent a month there in two different years (5 years ago) and thought it would be great place to spend our summers. We were sorry to see it deteriorate.

Dave O

I imagine that there are still quite a few of the original lease holders/builders in the park and can see that as a them v. the new comers.

Wonder how much that has to do with any infighting?

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Any time you stay for an extended time in one park, year after year, you become part of a community. A community has both good features and bad. There will inevitably be busybodies who like to stir things up. My short stay at Chimacum was very pleasant [although it would be nice if the Wifi were park-wide] but I prefer to keep moving as long as I can afford the gas. Signing on for a community is not my style.

RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

Having lived in three townhouse communities in the past, I am unwilling to own anything again run by an association of owners. I'm very happy to rent and let others deal with management. That way I can move on when one or more board members become power crazy. Having served on such a board I can tell you it WILL happen. The best association we had was one that hired a professional manager then let him do his job.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have been on their list for about 10 months. I was shocked today to see how much we had moved up. We visited the park in 2009 and were impressed with the area. I too would like to hear from someone who is currently a member.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up.

We received our "#10 on the waiting list packet" yesterday (and an email today saying that we are now at #9 with 3 pending, so much not time to go.

Has anyone heard any news lately?

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

There were a couple hundred on the list when we signed up. It took 6+ years to get a lot last spring. We stayed there last summer and sold it in September. We didn't like the politics of the park and with the drainage fields failing we could see big expenses. Since we left many others have left. The wait list is in the 80's right now.

However, if I were you, I'd take the lot and at least try it out for a season or two. Things and people change all the time. You'll regret not trying it if you had your heart set on it all this time. You're not out any money by turning it back in if not satisfield. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We will be taking a lot when it becomes available.

Politics seem to be a given in any association and we are well aware of the septic system needing upgrades. We do understand that some are unable to absorb any assessments, but we pretty much planned on that when we went on the list. 25 years seems to be about the time for major upgrades in many set ups like the park.

Going in eyes wide open :)

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Just notified that we're number 3 on the list and are supposed to call Monday AM to see if a lot is available. When we placed our deposit 2 1/2 years ago I expected the wait to be at least 4 or 5 years. The infrastructure and management issues that we've been reading about are a concern but not to the point of passing on the opportunity. However after recently purchasing a motorhome and toad the timing couldn't be worse. Also, we still have the S/B in Southern California and have no immediate plans to sell. My gut tells me to wait and see. Quite honestly, at the rate the list is moving it might not be much more than a year before we're near the top again.

. When we placed our deposit 2 1/2 years ago I expected the wait to be at least 4 or 5 years. The infrastructure and management issues that we've been reading about are a concern but not to the point of passing on the opportunity. gut tells me to wait and see. Quite honestly, at the rate the list is moving it might not be much more than a year before we're near the top again.

Keep in mind that the co-ops operate on a majority rules basis, so if there have been a high number of membership changes then the management is likely changing as well. An influx of members usually means a change in the board of directors. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

Just want to update this thread. We are on the list getting close to the top. The board just voted to increase Evergreen Coho's annual fees from $1354 to $3300 a year! They're in the midst of a massive septic system upgrade project and now they're making up for having to dip into the reserves. Wondering if anybody else out there is keeping tabs on the situation from within the park. Any readers out there members at Coho in Chimacum? Anybody visiting there soon? Thanks.

Archived