Chimacum Waiting List

garyb1st

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did and have been lease holders since the beginning of May. We were able to get a lot along the back row, near the herb garden and with a green belt behind the lot. We really like our location and if we had waited, were not sure what we would get.

We went in aware of the increases in the annual maintenance fee. The way I look at it is, the original lease holders, mostly the creators of the park, paid their dues. Now it's our turn.

Unfortunately, some of the lease holders could not absorb the increase and had to leave. Some did not want to pay or invest any more. Either way, there is a large turn over occurring.

We are looking for a larger RV or park model right now and are looking to relocate our home base in the near future. With the rallies that I am involved in and life in general, it may take us a bit.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

• 1 month later...

We have spent some time at Evergreen Co-Ho this summer and past summers. When we first stayed, in 2011, visitors were

invited to come to the ice cream socials and happy hour and folks were friendly. This year is not the same. Visitors are not included in any activity in the club house. Really do not feel very welcome. I don't know if this happens at other co-ops

but a fair number of residents are locals, not former or current rvers. Some have only joined Escapees in order to be able

to lease a lot. I imagine that it can be considered a relatively inexpensive way to live. Does this happen at other co-ops!

Also I was told that the county has recently inspected the club house kitchen and it did not pass. A commercial stove has tobe purchased and I think commercial refrigerators and freezers also have to be purchased. Along with the sewer situation

looks like costs are going up in the future.

Safe travels,

Karen

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

I think there was a similar issue in Pahrump with local non-RV folks buying in, not sure about elsewhere.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have spent some time at Evergreen Co-Ho this summer and past summers. When we first stayed, in 2011, visitors were

invited to come to the ice cream socials and happy hour and folks were friendly. This year is not the same. Visitors are not included in any activity in the club house. Really do not feel very welcome. I don't know if this happens at other co-ops but a fair number of residents are locals, not former or current rvers. Some have only joined Escapees in order to be able to lease a lot.

That is sad to hear as that was our first experience with a coop park and lead to our preference of staying in them. We have not spent any time at that one now since 2009 so were not aware it had changed, but we spent 6 weeks there in 2000, our first year on the road and will always have fond memories of that experience. It had a lot to do with our becoming more active as participants in the Escapee programs. With the parks being self governing and those who sell needing to get their money back, I can see how that can take place.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are at Evergreen Coho right now and people have been friendly. We have been visiting family and not doing any activities, but don't do many activities anyway. They had a wine tasting event a few days ago, bring a bottle and a glass. Our neighbors went and had a good time.

I agree that too many park models are coming in and the recent assessments will probably make that worse since the price is harder for people only spending a few months here to stomach. Unfortunately the local government now has this place on its sites and is looking deeply at everything. My mother-in-law has a lot here so we do hear some of the scuttlebutt.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Changes have been hard to accept by some and the back log of projects and needed repairs has finally caught up to the park.

"Inquiries", possibly by the disgruntled, to the local government has brought in added scrutiny.

We are going in eyes wide open. We are hoping that the park will continue to thrive and if it takes some shaking up to accomplish that, so be it. We do not have deep pockets, but do understand that facilities do need upgrading and repair and using temporary patches is not the way to do it.

We are bringing in a park model. Mainly as we use a small, hard sided, folding travel trailer that would not be suitable for full-time living. $40k for a stick built park model vs. $? for a large 5th wheel plus $? for a new tow vehicle does not make economic sense to us.

What we see is an opportunity for lots of travel with our Chalet and F150 with a secure home base. We are looking forward to participating and becoming good members of the co-op.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

If a person owned a lot & wanted out does he have to find a buyer or is he off the hook by just turning it back in? Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

If a person owned a lot & wanted out does he have to find a buyer or is he off the hook by just turning it back in? Dave.

There is a waiting list. The lot owner does not find the buyer, it is a co-op. First choice is the current lot owners get a chance to trade, then they start on the waiting list.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

….. we will likely be able to purchase a lot this year. ….

I'm sure you know this but just to avoid confusion, you don't actually purchase a lot in these co-ops. You actually pay a one-time lease payment to use the lot until you no longer want/need the lot. Then, assuming someone is willing to pay the lease, you basically get that person's one-time lease payment. At least that's how I understand it - if I'm wrong please correct me.

…. One problem that Evergreen is experiencing is an aging septic system. Future assessments are a good possibility that could be scaring a few away. It is still worth it to us. ...

We own a condo in HI. Several years ago the state passed a law that required all condo associations to have professionals estimate the life and cost of replacement or repairs for all of their fixed assets that were owned in common. The law also required them to accumulate, over a few years, the monetary reserves to cover these expenses as they accrued. Ongoing monthly fees must be set high enough to maintain this reserve and meet current expenses. This was painful for current owners who incurred large increases in association fees to build-up these reserves. Prior owners had essentially had a "free-ride", paying lower fees while the fixed assets depreciated. But, after it was implemented and in-place it then avoided the problem of getting huge one-time assessments. In my opinion this is the right way to run an association or a co-op and I personally would avoid buying/leasing into property that is not run this way.

Personally I don't think we'll ever again own or live in a property that has an association. Renting sounds pretty good to me. It avoids all the politics and issues of joint liability for association property. And, like full time RVing, it's much easier to move when you don't like your neighbors.

You don't own a lot and you can't "turn it in" and get your original lease payment back unless there is someone willing to pay that lease to occupy the lot you have leased. As we can see, things change, some developments that used to have long waiting lists are now actively recruiting new residents. It's in their interest to do this because if there isn't a list waiting to get in there will be a list of those waiting to get out.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

It has been our experience and observation at multiple SKP coops that if you lease a lot and want to move on, you return the lot to the coop.

When and only when someone else leases the lot do you get your money back. The whole process can take weeks if there is not a high demand for the lot.

We have never seen this happen, all our experiences and observations have been where there is a demand (waiting list/hot list) for lots and the process moves along pretty quickly and you get your money.

We had a lot at Chimacum, saw all the problems coming and got out about three years ago. We now have a lot at Saguaro after about 6 years on the hot list and are quite happy.

The two parks are completely different in all respects, I think the issues and people problems at Chimacum have been identified in this thread so folks can make an informed choice.

Dave O

We spent a week at an old Airstream park in Wisconsin. Similar set up to Escapees. They have no waiting list. One owner waited 4 years to sell their lot. If Chimacum doesn't get turned around and address their deficiencies, they could face the same lengthy wait. That was one of my concerns when I decided to wait.

The waiting list keeps dropping and that's scary and sad. As of June 25 on their web site there are 67 on the wait list. Many of those have gotten to #1 and didn't want a lot so they were put at the bottom of the list so they're not all new names on that list. Now you could probably get to #1 with only a year wait because the #1 person goes back down to the bottom.

As I stated previously, when we put our name on the list there were approx. 250 names on the list. It took us 6 years to reach the top. We took a lot and after one summer of seeing how that park was run, we returned our lot.

We had another lot in a wonderful co-op for 10 years. It was run nothing like Chimacum. We really hope they can get it all together. It's in a beautiful area with lots of things to do and that's why we wanted to be there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Anything run by a committee of "equals" can run into the common problem of the political "clique". A combination of disinterest in politics among some members and a desire to run the place according to their own agenda by a more politically astute group (sometimes a family) can turn a nice place into turmoil hell.

New buyers (or "members") are often unwitting of the issues and it may take them a while to clue in to what's goin on. Then, of course, it's too late.

We bought a lot in AZ and as long as the real estate developer was in charge of the place it was all roses. As soon as the community was turned over for "self government" things started to take a turn for the worse. New rules, higher assessments, committees to approve everything from the height of the grass to the color of the doors on houses. Fortunately for us we are pretty sure we are covered under the original agreement; even if we're not they only way they can actually enforce their covenants (covenant agreements to which we were not signatories) are by litigation and it seems likely that none of them could agree long enough to hire and brief an attorney.

Camping clubs were another scam with bankruptcies and "lifetime memberships" canceled ("but wait... you can continue that membership by investing only another $1,997.95 with the new owners"). The DW's parents were enmeshed in that nonsense a couple of decades ago.

So we'll continue to "camp" on the lot that we were promised we could camp on and see what happens. But you never can tell. Like Linda Sand (and others) have said in this thread, we're a lot smarter about this stuff than we were.

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 4 weeks later...

We were over there this past Wednesday to put some items in our shed and talked with Lot Management about placing our trailer on the lot.

Now, I tend to be skeptical (too much sometimes according to my wife) and I do form my own opinion from what I see and hear.

That boost in annual maintenance fees was partially due to the park not keeping up with the times and allowing the contingency fund to be depleted by septic evaluations among other things. A large chunk was converted to an assessment for septic replacements which is added to the lot value.

The initial septic system had not been constructed as well as it could have. New knowledge and practices are being put into the new systems that are being installed as needed. That should help prevent future failure, mainly caused by object being flushed down the toilet that should not have been. Screens/filters should help prevent future problems.

Septic systems do and will fail over time. We were lucky at our house that the city installed a sewer system as our septic was failing. We were getting our tank pumped out on a bi-monthly basis because of drain field failure. Evergreens were designed at a time where it was not expected that there would be many who would stay there full-time and flush towelettes and diapers down the toilet.

It looks like assessments will be used for the septic replacements and those will be added to the lot value. Pay now for the lot and assessments later or pay for a lot later that have the assessments included. Either way, it works out.

We are looking forward to becoming a part of the co-op and contributing to the park.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreens were designed at a time where it was not expected that there would be many who would stay there full-time and flush towelettes and diapers down the toilet.

Anyone moving into a community that is on a septic system should receive instructions on how to properly use it! I'm speechless that they are given such instructions!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Just a heads up. Currently we are 19 on the wait list. At least that was our number as of August 29. On the may 21st list, we were number 62. The park notified us Sept 12, that there were several lots available if we were ready to own right now.

Wow! This is amazing. That used to be one of the parks that had a long, long waiting list - 6+ years. We know. We were on it. Then we got in and saw the problems and were out immediately. It's a shame it reached that point.

As for as the towelettes - those things should be outlawed. Period. Even places without septic tanks are having problems. Wastewater treatment plants are having problems. Even with instructions, folks are not going to dispose of them properly.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 1 month later...

Not trying to hijack the thread, but they are not the only one with issues. We have had lots at 2 different Co-op's. We sold both for several reasons. One has to realize that these were built back in the mid 80's. Most RV's of the time had 20-40 gal holding tanks. One co-op had 500 gal tanks for 4 sites. That was great back then. Now with 2-4 park models with full size washer/dryers the system is just too small to handle that much liquid. Next is the electrical. Back then a 50A rig was a exception. We had 7-8 lots fed by 220vac with 200A breakers. That is 25A per leg on a 50A service. Now put 4 park models on the feed, total electric and you have a problem of low voltage and overheated plugs.

The co-op's were designed to be temporary stops and a home base for rigs with 30a service and no washer/dryer's. Now the demands on the infrastructure is such they were never designed to support.

Now we have a double wide/manufactured home we own on a rented lot. It is in a gated community, they keep the yard mowed as part of the rent, and being gated is relatively secure. We can leave for months at a time and come back to a 1,500sf house with a large double garage and nice covered deck. We have no association or board to deal with. The owners of the land make the rules, you know what they are and either agree with them or don't buy in there.

http://springfieldfarmsmo.com/

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

Now we have a double wide/manufactured home we own on a rented lot. It is in a gated community, they keep the yard mowed as part of the rent, and being gated is relatively secure. We can leave for months at a time and come back to a 1,500sf house with a large double garage and nice covered deck. We have no association or board to deal with. The owners of the land make the rules, you know what they are and either agree with them or don't buy in there.

Whenever you park a large vehicle that cannot be moved easily (or at all - depending upon laws) on real estate controlled by someone else (whether it's a group or an individual or a municipality) you are exposing yourself to potential issues. Whether it's an entrenched board of a co-op park looking after their own interests and ignoring real issues that impact the entire community or an incompetent manager of a privately owned mobile home park or an elected City Council with little desire to have what they may view as an "eyesore" in their community, you are trapped if you cannot pack it up and leave. No one wants to buy into a nest of worms.

There is a lot to be said for simply renting a place with a casita (with a bathroom and small living area) and sleeping in the RV. Besides, I really like the bedroom in our motor home. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived