The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

Lee, We saw the ISS last evening...I'd never seen it before or at least didn't realize what it was. Very cool! It appeared out of nowhere, traveled for about a couple minutes and poof...it was gone mid sky. I used that web site of yours to locate it by plugging in our location. I also signed up at the NASA site for getting email notifications whenever it flies over an area that we're at. http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/index.cfm Of course, you have to change it everytime you move your pin!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the ISS way back just after they put it up. Thought it was a really slow UFO !!

Also remember one time looking for a comet (Kahoutek?) that was passing by us , I saw a fireball traveling towards me and was really excited .....until it got closer and I realized it was one of the P-3 Orion sub hunters from the Navy base just behind me with their landing lights on!

Now Thatsk Embarraskin" :wacko:

Edited by rvpopeye

stay tuned

popeye

Roger:

If you have a smart phone go into the play store and download the free Heavens-above app. It will use you gps to keep tabs on where you're at and change all the data to display the correct times and positions to wherever you are at the time you open the app. The home page has a link for what is happening tonight and also links for each of the more interesting objects like the ISS and Iridium flares. It's really handy.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Drats Lee! We have an old smart phone loaded with version 2.1 software. As we are finding, we can't load many of the apps nowadays. The one you mentioned needs 2.3.3 and up. We're grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan as long as we don't accept one of their "free phones". When ours craps out we'll just get a refurbished one on our own so, we can stay on the unlimited. We tether our laptop to the phone for internet. Not looking forward however to forking out $400-$500 for that but, still cheaper in the long run!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

What do you know the northern half of the sky cleared up and the ISS was right on schedule shinning brightly until it went behind a cloud bank just before it would have vanished in the earth's shadow anyway. I'll go out again later and see if there is anything else interesting out there. There is another ISS pass tonight at 19:41:27 at mag 0 but it will just skime the horizon and my not be visible anyway.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Lee, I'm going to try and see it tonight. its' going to be visible here at about 6:47pm. Now if it doesn't cloud up. <_<

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Yipee! I saw the space station tonight. It was on time and I was able to observe it from horizon to horizon. Pretty bright too! Now all the baaaaaad whisky I had to drink waiting for it was worth it. hic! At least it was calm and no clouds, so it was easy to see. B) Steve

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

I just came in from watching the ISS go over. Boy it's cold out there. 33 now but NOAA says it will hit 17 Degrees tonight. I sure hope they are true weathermen and are wrong as usual. Much more of this and I'll be going to Q before I get ready with a long stop over in Organ Pipe National Monument. I went to Wally world this morning and got a few more things for my little trailer. I bought one of those Little Buddy heaters. They are either on or off. I don't think I'll be using it much except in the mornings.

I just got a notice that Steve posted and said he saw the ISS too. So I guess we were out there freezing together. Now that AZ is on the same time as NM the times are not much different. He probably saw it much highter in the sky than I did because here it came up in the NW and went across the western sky to go into the earth's shadow in the SSE. Congratulations Steve Your now an official Space Head like me. Hummm that don't sound so good. There is a nice Iridium flare tomorrow night a little after 6. Give it a try. there is a nice one in the early morning too but it can stay there I ain't going out to see it.

Not too cold here, about 50 degrees and no wind so it was fine for satellite watching. They do have a cold warning out for tonight, I think in the 30's so I guess I'll turn the heater on, No snow though. :lol:

Hmm, space head, oh well, I've been called worse! It builds character I've heard.....

Edited by Steved44

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Great view of the ISS last night! Think we may have also seen an iridium satellite but missed the flare part. Blame it on the moon or the cranberry juice...LOL!

What's with all this cold weather? Doesn't look like it's gonna get better for awhile either. Was gonna get an inside propane quick connect installed at Q but, now I'm looking to do that sooner when we move to Yuma on Monday. Also I'm having a mobile Aquahot tech come out there because one of my pumps crapped out on our brand new $10K unit. Good thing it's got a two year warranty and shouldn't cost us anything. Still, I have to wonder...is there a cloud following over us? I am soooo over all of this repair stuff!! :blink:

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Great view of the ISS last night! Think we may have also seen an iridium satellite but missed the flare part. Blame it on the moon or the cranberry juice...LOL!

What's with all this cold weather? Doesn't look like it's gonna get better for awhile either. Was gonna get an inside propane quick connect installed at Q but, now I'm looking to do that sooner when we move to Yuma on Monday. Also I'm having a mobile Aquahot tech come out there because one of my pumps crapped out on our brand new $10K unit. Good thing it's got a two year warranty and shouldn't cost us anything. Still, I have to wonder...is there a cloud following over us? I am soooo over all of this repair stuff!! :blink:

Roger

You have had more than your share of bad luck with repairs. I'm hoping it's not contagious because I'd hate to catch something like that. However, with the New Year just around the corner maybe your luck is going to change. I certainly hope it does for you.

PS - Steve - I just moved my marker.

Edited by Wanderin'

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

http://blog.willywagon.net

You have had more than your share of bad luck with repairs. I'm hoping it's not contagious because I'd hate to catch something like that. However, with the New Year just around the corner maybe your luck is going to change. I certainly hope it does for you.

PS - Steve - I just moved my marker.

I like that positive thinkin' Jeri...can't wait for the New Year! :D

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Roger

Roger, Sorry to hear you're having issues again. :( It has to go the other direction for you soon.

Sounds like a lot of pin movement in the next couple of days. Hope to find a good spot in the desert today and then be able to see ISS and flares. Some of you experts will have to educate me.

Hopefully it's chilly now and warm next month.

Travel safe everyone. :)

Jeff

Go Broncos!

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Hey Lee, I downloaded that Heavens-above app the other day. Last night I was outside spinning around trying to figure it out trying to get things lined up and such. From afar I must have looked like a lighthouse LOL!!! I finally got dizzy and went inside, maybe a short class on the proper use is in order at Q.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Roger

Dang Roger, maybe we need to perform a group exorcism on you guys while in Q.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Dang Roger, maybe we need to perform a group exorcism on you guys while in Q.

I'm just about ready to try anything Dave...maybe we could get Lee to play the "high priest" !!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Lee - When you thinking of starting your trek west?

Jeri: I'm thinking about leaving here sometime between the 15th and 18th of January. If I get there too early they'll kick me out of Plamosa Rd before the Get-To-Gether is over. I hope I can get the oil leak on my truck fixed before that date. These Holidays are not helping in that respect.

Roger: Maybe I can get the pope to lend me his little beanny cap and scepter. That's why I like my stick and tin trailer. I can fix just about anything with a roll of Duct Tape and a can of WD-40. And if I can't fix it I can just buy a new one for about the price of your Aqua Hot.

Hey Lee, I downloaded that Heavens-above app the other day. Last night I was outside spinning around trying to figure it out trying to get things lined up and such. From afar I must have looked like a lighthouse LOL!!! I finally got dizzy and went inside, maybe a short class on the proper use is in order at Q.

Dave: I'd be glad to answer any questions and to point out the major Constellations with my Lazer pointer when we are at Q. Knowing the Constellations makes it much easier to find your way around while looking at the Sky. I'll also bring my Telescope and let anyone who is interested to a peak at a few of the interesting things up there. In the Heaven-above app. when you click on the date of something your interested in. It will bring up a map of the sky with a line showing the path the object will take and in the case of Iridium flares the time line as it goes across the sky and the point at which it will flare. Hold the map over your head then it will look like the sky at the time of the event and allow you to get an Idea of where the object will be at a particular time so you can be looking there when it happens.

Dang Roger "CUT IT OUT" no more maint issues! Lee call the pope and get the equipment. We can do it!! Dave spinning around will create a popepopular vortex and cast the evil maint spell away. :o

I saw Jeri, fast move!!

GO PACK!! :D

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Roger: Maybe I can get the pope to lend me his little beanny cap and scepter. That's why I like my stick and tin trailer. I can fix just about anything with a roll of Duct Tape and a can of WD-40. And if I can't fix it I can just buy a new one for about the price of your Aqua Hot.

I'm startin' to come around to your thinkin' Lee. Anyone want to buy a "slightly used" MH? I say slightly used because it feels like I've replaced most of it's parts with new ones! :rolleyes:

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Roger

When and if you find that quick connect propane thingie in Yuma, let us know. We need to buy a propane tank and a quick connect for our Mr. Heater. We cannot find such in Casa Grande.

Mind you we are all going to do all this cold related stuff and then it is going to warm up and it will all be in vain. Hopefully!

We will arrive in Yuma (Pilot Knob) sometime on or before the 4th. We are making a spot at Painted Rocks for a few days of solitude. Then our friends Jack and Bianca are meeting us at Pilot Knob for 4 or 5 days. Lins' Buffet for sure.

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

Dave: I'd be glad to answer any questions and to point out the major Constellations with my Lazer pointer when we are at Q. Knowing the Constellations makes it much easier to find your way around while looking at the Sky. I'll also bring my Telescope and let anyone who is interested to a peak at a few of the interesting things up there. In the Heaven-above app. when you click on the date of something your interested in. It will bring up a map of the sky with a line showing the path the object will take and in the case of Iridium flares the time line as it goes across the sky and the point at which it will flare. Hold the map over your head then it will look like the sky at the time of the event and allow you to get an Idea of where the object will be at a particular time so you can be looking there when it happens.

That will be fun Lee. Thanks.

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png