DC shunt size

GlennWest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figure the loads you expect to have at any given point in time. Go worse case scenario here. All inverter loads, plus all the DC loads possible at the same time. Pick the next largest shunt. If close to the next largest, go 2 sizes bigger. Make sure the meter is capable of dealing with the shunt size you're buying, if they're not a matched set.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you are going with the 4448 and a Magnum monitor, get the Magnum BMK shunt kit, allows you to read everything on your monitor, and you do not have to buy any other meters.

https://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-battery-monitor-kit.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9F0fY35sUMO5fT80eePs8TnUl9UcTSRdc3kV6yy0XuU9bv-PH7y6rIaAl5IEALw

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Any meter that indicates amperes. They measure the voltage drop across the shunt and the scale is shown as amperes. Could be a common dash meter showing charge discharge or a complicated battery monitoring device such as Victron. The small meters have the shunt inside the case. Battery Monitors measure higher amps and have a external shunt. Shunt is a resistor placed on the negative battery cable.  https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-battery-monitor/

On 12/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, GlennWest said:
On 12/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, GlennWest said:

ok, my monitor, ME-ARTR.  Understand. Never heard it called that before. 

Glenn, the ME-ARTR won't do it alone. You also need the BMK to be able to read amps in--amps out on your Magnum monitor. Other well known brands are the Victron 700 series and the Bogart Trimetric. The benefit of using the BMK with the Magnum monitor is that then you don't need a separate indoor monitor. I went with the Bogart as that is what jack mayers was recommending at the time I put my system together but I now see the advantage of just staying in the Magnum family. The Victron 712 is the latest and greatest in those types of amp measuring monitors. As you probably know with lithium you are really much better off relying on amps used rather than voltage as voltage is not a reliable indicator with lithium due to the flatness of their discharge curve.

Dave and Lana Hasper

2 hours ago, Daveh said:

Glenn, the ME-ARTR won't do it alone. You also need the BMK to be able to read amps in--amps out on your Magnum monitor. Other well known brands are the Victron 700 series and the Bogart Trimetric. The benefit of using the BMK with the Magnum monitor is that then you don't need a separate indoor monitor. I went with the Bogart as that is what jack mayers was recommending at the time I put my system together but I now see the advantage of just staying in the Magnum family. The Victron 712 is the latest and greatest in those types of amp measuring monitors. As you probably know with lithium you are really much better off relying on amps used rather than voltage as voltage is not a reliable indicator with lithium due to the flatness of their discharge curve.

Read my 2 posts previous to yours. Posted a link to the video with the BMK connecting to the ARTR. As he is going all Magnum, probably the best method. I have all Victron in my coach, but am setting up the same system as his [with 5200 watts solar] in my S&B except with the ARC-50 instead of the ARTR. But I have read on other forums, that the Magnum battery monitors are not as accurate as Victron when used on Lithium systems, not sure why.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Years ago I definitely preferred the Bogart Trimetric over the Magnum BMK. They were far more accurate at the time. Now, for most people with a Magnum system I'd say just put in the BMK. The unified remote is nice. I've had them both and the technology of the BMK is sufficient for most people. Personally, I prefer the Victron at the present time, because I like the remote features, especially the bluetooth. The cost is in the same ballpark.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

48 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Years ago I definitely preferred the Bogart Trimetric over the Magnum BMK. They were far more accurate at the time. Now, for most people with a Magnum system I'd say just put in the BMK. The unified remote is nice. I've had them both and the technology of the BMK is sufficient for most people. Personally, I prefer the Victron at the present time, because I like the remote features, especially the bluetooth. The cost is in the same ballpark.

What I don't like about Victron is their larger size also no 230v units. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, Sehc said:

As for a Li battery monitor, Balmar has a new "self learning monitor". Part number Balmar SG200.

Done a search on Balmar SG200 vs Magnum BMK and didn't come up with much. What your opinions on this. Price is a washout.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I still have the original Balmar on my coach. It did work on my LA batteries, but not on LI. Now it is  basically a voltmeter. The new one appears to use a shunt, unlike the original. But would still use the Magnum setup, one less wire to run, and one less gauge to mount.

Question about wiring it. I have buss bars connecting my 3 battery packs together. Using 2 Magnum Pae inverters. I should only need shunt on ground on master inverter, correct?

I cannot comment on the Balmar except that I have heard about it but not read any reviews. I did want to mention though that when looking at these items also look at their secondary functions. Some come with the ability to monitor the voltage on a second pack, they have the ability to set alarms and the ability to control the shutdown of the system under preset conditions. As Jack said the Victron has the bluetooth function so you can program and monitor from a chair rather than fussing with dials. I have been VERY satisfied with the accuracy of the Bogart Trimetric. I do think a learning technology is the next logical step for these monitors. I just don't know whether Balmar has achieved that without hearing more first hand information. I think with the names that have been put forward it is hard to go wrong. 

Dave and Lana Hasper

18 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Question about wiring it. I have buss bars connecting my 3 battery packs together. Using 2 Magnum Pae inverters. I should only need shunt on ground on master inverter, correct?

Shunt should be between battery common negative and all other equipment including solar. This allows shunt to actually see what is going into, and going out of, batteries.

ok, my common dc negative bussbar has my three battery negatives to this bussbar. Post are there for 3 inverters,, solar controller, dc/dc converter with some left over. So I will have up to 3 (starting out with 2 and add if needed), grounds from each inverter to this bussbar. Do I need to connect inverter grounds together before this common bussbar for the shunt to work or will it work on just 1 inverter ground with all connecting to common ground? 

Edited by GlennWest

So all battery grounds to a bussbar then to common bussbar. Inverter calls for 2/0 cable. So 2 2/0 cables from this bussbar to my common bussbar to carry load? Don't want to mess with 4/0 if possible.  Also while we on wiring, I got my DC/DC converter in. It is 48-60v to 12v. Basically 5 feet between battery compartment to DC connection cdnter. Run 5 feet 48v or 5 feet 12v? I thinking run 48v long but would like all in a common place.

Edited by GlennWest

The only way a shunt based monitor works is if all the negatives return through it. I have 3 x 12 volt battery banks. Each negative goes to the shunt. The shunt then goes to a bus bar. The bus bar has a connection to the chassis and the negative from all other devices. All the power from the whole battery bank returns through the shunt to the bank negative.

Here is a link to how the Balmar SG200 monitor works. https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200-self-learning-battery-monitor/