DC shunt size

GlennWest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn. I don't have 48 volts or LiFePo battery.  I have six golf cart battery. Configured as three 12 volt battery. I have three negative 2/0 cables to one side of my 500 amp shunt. The other side goes to a bus bar. I have had this set for two years with no problem. I do six month maintenance including inspection and measuring voltage drop at each connection. I had the same problem. I wanted another shunt, but not enough room.  I use these; https://www.bluesea.com/products/2104/PowerBar_600A_BusBar_-_Four_3_8in-16_Studs  There are smaller; https://www.bluesea.com/products/2303/Common_150A_BusBar_-_Four_1_4in-20_Studs  

I have a pair of those bussbars. They do take up right much room. That is why I didn't want to add a third. Thanks for letting me know you use 3 negatives to your shunt with  no problems. That is what I will do. Do believe I will need two 2/0 cables off of that shunt to bussbar to suppert two 440 watt inverters though. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 10 months later...
12 minutes ago, Westsailor said:

Curious about shunts. Aside from different amperage ratings is there any difference between shunts from different battery monitor companies? Can I use a shunt from manufacturer 'A' with a digital display from manufacturer 'B'?

Not generally.  Magnum and Victron come to mind specifically.  You cannot interchange the shunt Magnum uses with a shunt Victron uses or vice versa.  Magnum has a separate brain that connects to the shunt while Victron has a brain built into the shunt.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

38 minutes ago, Westsailor said:

Can I use a shunt from manufacturer 'A' with a digital display from manufacturer 'B'?

Welcome to the Escapee forums. The best answer is, maybe. Problem is that to know for sure you need data from the manufacturer that they don't usually supply and perhaps an engineering degree to then figure it out. To try it would be pretty risky as the wrong shunt might damage your display. There is no standard input to those displays. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

44 minutes ago, Westsailor said:

Curious about shunts. Aside from different amperage ratings is there any difference between shunts from different battery monitor companies? Can I use a shunt from manufacturer 'A' with a digital display from manufacturer 'B'?

One only needs to know the resistance of both shunts to know if they're interchangeable. The system simply measures the voltage drop across the known resistance to calculate the amperage. If the two shunts are of different resistances, you'll get an inaccurate interpretation of that data. Jay