Winter stay in San Angelo TX

Don_T

Does anyone know of a decent RV park to spend the winter at in San Angelo TX? My wife, travel nurse, has a chance to take a job in San Angelo for the winter but we need a place to stay before we can plan much.

Same question for Abilene Tx.

Thanks all!

Edited by Don_T

Not sure what you mean by "decent."  Pretty much any place in that part of the country is going to be fairly barren, especially if you're not used to it.

I've stayed at the KOA and Spring Creek Marina, both out by Lake Nasworthy (which historically is known as Lake Nasty Water).  Spring Creek has a more trees and is on the water, but that could mean recreating weekenders, depending on the time of year.  The KOA is a little closer to town, and a little more barren looking than Spring Creek.  You won't need the shade in the winter, but you might appreciate the aesthetics.

Which hospital has the position?  If it's Shannon downtown, you might consider the RV park on the north side of town--Concho Pearl RV Estates.  I've never stayed there (and think the name might be stretching things a bit) but it's closer to Shannon than the ones by the lake.  If she'll be working on Knickerbocker, the KOA will be only a couple of miles away.

Those are the only RV parks I know of.  There are RV parks springing up outside of town, but I'm pretty sure they're all man camps for the oil fields.

The new retail development in town is where Sherwood Way (Highway 67) and Loop 306 intersect.  The new H-E-B grocery store there is fancier (organic food, craft beers) than the one just two miles away at Sherwood Way and Avenue N.  There were fears that they would close the one at Avenue N, but according to some local knowledge I got, they're going to keep both open, serving different demographics.

The north side of San Angelo is not traditionally considered the ritzier part of town.  For example, that's where the fairgrounds is.

Plan on buying your drinking water in jugs or getting a reverse osmosis water system for the RV (if you don't already have one). San Angelo has some of the worst-tasting water on the planet.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

You'll get a bit of winter there, so you want to give some thought to how you will deal with freezing temps there.  I use this site to get an idea of typical weather for places I plan on visiting.  http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=36227&cityname=San-Angelo-Texas-United-States-of-America

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We have stayed at the state park in San Angelo and never had an issue with water quality.  In west Texas water tends to have more minerals, so you will get some mineral deposits.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 8/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, Second Chance said:

Plan on buying your drinking water in jugs or getting a reverse osmosis water system for the RV (if you don't already have one). San Angelo has some of the worst-tasting water on the planet.

The water there tastes awful, but reverse osmosis isn't necessary.  I found that just using the one-filter drinking water thing that came on my RV made the water taste fine, and for the life of me don't understand why everybody who lives there doesn't just use one of those.

Thanks all. She is looking at Hendricks Med Center for work. We are on a waiting list for the Whistle Stop RV park nearby. For now, if she takes the job, we have a spot at a small place called Gentle Breeze RV Community in Clyde.