99 Volvo Instrument cluster replacement??

INWsters

Continuing to have problems, replaced the headlight switch, ignition switch, checked cab grounds.   Open the cluster and inspected for obviously cold solder joints didn't see any.  Still generally wont crank over, random behavior of dash during boot up, now speedo has stuck.  When I had the cluster out and replaced burned out bulbs, found that battery warning light was missing - put one in and its stuck on.  Appears a prior owner got tired of looking at, so rather than fix it, took out the bulb - see no evil I suppose.  Has new alt, guage says plus or minus 14v, batteries not going dead so do t think I really have a charging problem.

Cluster has obviously been out, tamper seals are broken, other parts of dash missing screws, etc so I think someone has chased and failed to resolve this b4.  If I take it to Volvo, I'm sure I'll get told they wont do anything unless they  Replace the cluster which they want to $2000 plus 3 hours of labor to do. I've had it in-and-out in 20 minutes -  2 screws 5 connectors and 2 airlines.  They say new - will have to be programmed and that's why it takes so long, Seems BS.

So considering a used cluster which is $450-$650.   However I don't know if it really does have to be programmed or if you can take a generation one cluster and install it in the dash and it will work just fine except that the odometer will show its mileage.   Have a friend that's an independent mechanic but hes not equipped to do Volvo computers.

Have also seeing the rebuild services that will put new motors in the gages at cetera but they don't look like they're specific enough to be able to check the function and circuitry of the cluster, So I'm not sure that would be productive.

Any advice on a path forward would be appreciated.

Edited by INWsters
Yr and Make

Years ago we had our instrument cluster repaired by a firm in Canada, maybe Alberta? You sent your cluster to a US address and they would come aross the border, pick up all the packages, go back to Canada and repair them. Reverse for sending them back. I think our cluster was gone maybe 2 weeks. I don't recall the $ but you might want to do some Googling and look for them.

qualit_lv4199mj@members.ebay.com this is the guy on eBay I used and mine has worked fine since last year. 150.00 bucks or a little less. He has a very deep European accent. Did a good job. I got my cluster back. He just rebuilds them. Very pleased but he is a little gruff to deal with. Kept hammering me with emails for a review which I ignored. Upon reviewing my order I actually paid 170.00 turn key. shipping is slow. JB

Edited by bags

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/

This is the guy I used to repair mine. If I recall someone told me he doesn't do older model Volvos (Gen1) but I am not sure. Worth a phone call..

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo