Weak brakes on 5th wheel

If all electric, check your grounds and the plug and socket for poor connections, I have seen the inside of sockets and plugs turn green from water and moisture intrusion, this would also affect the hydraulic brakes as the hydraulic controller would see a weaker signal and weaker output would be the end result.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

I have all electric brakes. 

I looked into my ground wires and I think I found part of the problem. If the trailer is not hooked to the truck and I pull the breakaway the brakes don't activate. I think the brakes are only grounded through the truck, shouldn't there be a ground for the brakes to the trailer?

TIA

Rick

4 hours ago, Rick & Janet said:

I have all electric brakes. 

I looked into my ground wires and I think I found part of the problem. If the trailer is not hooked to the truck and I pull the breakaway the brakes don't activate. I think the brakes are only grounded through the truck, shouldn't there be a ground for the brakes to the trailer?

TIA

Rick

The break-away system grounds through the trailer onboard wiring.  Poor/inadequate brake wiring is by far the most common cause of poor braking. Many trailer mfgrs IMO use too-small wire gauge and inadequate connectors. Keep in mind over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.  Rather than duplicate, I refer you to this website for proper wiring and wire size.

All the above assumes your magnets are in good working order, if they are worn beyond limits, or fail electrical testing, replace them before digging into brake wiring.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray beat me to the wiring diagrams. If your magnets are weak, or the brake shoes are worn, don't piecemeal it. It is far cheaper to buy complete backer plated and magnet, shoes, springs etc. About $90 each. Don't forget to check if they have adjuster screws to manually adjust them. Here are examples of all new assemblies:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/towing-hitches-jacks-chassis/wheels-brakes/electric-trailer-brake_96-7002

https://www.bing.com/search?q=troubleshootung+ele%3Atric+fifth+wheel+brakes&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Sorry Derek, I somehow had 2 tabs open for this thread, I was editing one in tab while you replied on the other, my bad.

I agree with you, spend $35 for a magnet when the entire backing plate assy is $90 is a no-brainer for me too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Another thought would be to use a dc ampmeter to test each wheel assembly to test what is happening at each wheel. If you have a hub off you can test the magnet operation with the ampmeter.to make sure it is working before you install the wheel agin. I think the amp draw with controller should be about half what it will be with emergency system in operation. I think the amp draw is about 1.7 amps with controller. I think.

Just a thought,.  Vern

IF you decide to replace your brake assemblies, or just replace your pads, have your drums turned also.  Cheap insurance, I think I paid $7 per drum.  I did mine and found out they were slightly out of round, happens when they get too hot at one time or another.  It will also cause brakes to not operate correctly.  I did not look at the links above but if I may, get the assemblies with self adjusting.  Like mentioned, I would also do a very good check on your brake wiring.  Corrosion from salt air, salt on winter roads, age, all possible.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived