Broken hinge mounts on Dometic RM1350 doors DIY FIX

I just wanted to share a solution that I came up with for our Dometic RM1350 reefer. The doors are mounted onto peg like plastic bushings. The cylindrical bushing slides into the corner of the reefer door which is simply molded plastic. Well after years of bouncing and jostling these plastic corners start to break apart leaving the doors just barely hanging on.

On some models there is actually a hinge repair kit but when I called a well known Dometic parts dealer they told me that the repair kit wasn't available for the RM1350(4 door model). Their solution was to buy new doors at about $400 dollars each before freight.

Basically what I did was create a new corner out of 24g steel. I then drilled a hole for the pin and bushing to go through. The only way to attach this to the door is with screws drilled into the door frame itself. The ones on the bottom will never be seen but I painted the ones on the top black so they aren't very noticeable.

Here are three PICTURES of the before and after.

The repair is much easier if you remove whatever insert you have on the front of the door to lighten them up. A second set of hands is very helpful when reinstalling.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some folks.

I did the same for an older two door dometic several years ago.  The refer door broke and a simple piece of aluminum flat stock worked great

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Thanks, good to see American ingenuity at work. Hope I can remember your solution when/if I need it.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived