How the HDT forum saved me a Bundle

jkennell

Haven't been on here much recently as I"m just too busy to think of vacation ..  in fact trying to sell the rig.  But had to share this:

I still farm our family farm, sorta my hobby any more.  I have a '97 Volvo HDT w grain trailer to haul to the elevator in the fall.  SO yesterday I get home from work and head to the field with combine and semi, combine a 80000 lb load and head to the elevator....get about a mile down the road and.....suddenly every light on the dash comes on, the gauges drop to nothing, the engine cuts out...and then everything comes back like normal.  Ok, thats weird---and then it does it again and again and again...but its random, not regular.   Stopped as soon as I could...trucks trying to get around me, tractors and wagons..(If you have not been in farm country during harvest you won't believe how busy little country roads can get.)   It's sorta running, so I limped the 2 miles to the elevator, and managed to get dumped and the truck where I can pop the hood.    I'm thinking bad connection--so I spent 15 minutes wiggling connections (I did find a few loose!) but no help.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a truck service company & pay for a field service call...probably be down at least a day during harvest (Losing a day at harvest time can = big loss.) Then I remember all the horror stories on here about the low coolant sensor.   Undid one wire to the sensor and ......everything smoothed right out and it hasn't died since.   Hopefully that was it!   So you all saved me some major $$$ and headaches.

But MAN--why wouldn't you just flash the "check engine now" light....why kill all the gauges and engine for 1 second--with absolutely no warning at all????    Whoever designed that was...obviously not a driver.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Last night the only way I could get the motor to stay running was disconnect the coolant sensor.  This morning I started up the truck and the "Engine fluids"  light came on and then the engine shut down.  I had to cross the coolant sensor wires before it would run.   What the....   That's just opposite of last night!

AGGGHHH.

Rick:  Hope your harvest is better than mine....we looked great but the "big yields" aren't.    Looks like a losing money year.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

g'parent's farm in OR, harvesting last two weeks, really good yields this year vs. last few. He went all in this year too and planted all the normally fallow land this year. We emptied the full silos and then filled all of them back up. China's been dumping 2013 wheat on the market since harvest started in full a few weeks ago, so driving down the price and also lots of spillover pricing pressures from corn and soybean last couple of weeks because of the size and health of the harvest this year. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I am in Northeastern Nebraska. We just finished silage. Soy beans are getting close. There are a few guys rolling on beans now but not many.  Depending on who you talk to the are making 60 to 74 bushels per acre.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I wish ALL you hard working guys a great yield this year.

I have a friend with corn, beans and a small wheat crop.

Four combines, semis and grain trailers.etc. You gotta love the land.  I tell him he is a Vegas gambler and just don`t know yet.

Hope the best for ya`all

Archived