My take on "review" videos

Just now, sandsys said:

Although I don't like the word shill in this usage, I don't watch videos so you are safe from my other feedback on this one. :)

When I see that they have NEVER given a negative review, not even a lukewarm review, shill is the perfect word. This is what was called "payola" in older times, when record labels were being given all sorts of gifts to play the artists from a label in heavier rotation than the others. 

Obviously, if they don't play ball, the stream of free stuff will stop, so they will always give positive reviews. I used to write tech for a small newspaper, and I NEVER kept anything I was sent to review. Routers, software... I would review it, and send it back. In a few cases when I was impressed, I bought the item. With that kind of integrity, a reviewer can never be questioned.

4 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

I used to write tech for a small newspaper, and I NEVER kept anything I was sent to review. Routers, software... I would review it, and send it back. In a few cases when I was impressed, I bought the item. With that kind of integrity, a reviewer can never be questioned.

How do you know the reviewers you are denigrating don't have the same policy? Nick Russell reviews products but he warns the manufacturer up front that he will tell it like he sees it. Some then never send their product. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

How do you know the reviewers you are denigrating don't have the same policy? Nick Russell reviews products but he warns the manufacturer up front that he will tell it like he sees it. Some then never send their product. 

Linda Sand

Um, I asked?

Now go ahead and get the last word in as you insist on doing. You remind me why i love being single.

12 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

When I see that they have NEVER given a negative review, not even a lukewarm review, shill is the perfect word. This is what was called "payola" in older times, when record labels were being given all sorts of gifts to play the artists from a label in heavier rotation than the others. 

Did you ever read any of the RV reviews in either Motorhome Magazine or from Trailer Life Magazine? Both of them occasionally concede that something is less than perfect but no bad reviews are given and the articles always seem to appear in a magazine that also has a full page ad for that particular RV? It is exactly what the RV Consumer Group are trying to avoid. 

When I was still building our webpage I tried taking some paid reviews there but I quickly discovered that if you only advertise products or businesses that you have used and recommend, you get very few advertisers and you make little money for the effort. I removed all of it after about 3 months. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are good reviewers on YouTube, but it takes watching a few videos to realize who is honest and who is not.  I have been looking at stand mixers and have been finding who actually runs the mixer though its paces as opposed to those that do an unboxing and rattle off specs and ad copy.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 5/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, eddie1261 said:

Single, married, single, married, single, married, single......

You remind me of a single friend of ours. He was married 3 times and says never again. The reason he doesn't consider it according to him is that he studied all 3 women that he was married to and concluded that the only thing that they have in common was marrying him. He thus has concluded that he is not husband material and has stopped dating. Seems like one of the more honest men that I know. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived