MDT Registered as RV in CA (possibly AZ)

Twitch

Thinking of buying a 1995 F800 that currently has a flat bed on it.

I am going to be mainly using this to just drive around town like a normal truck and tow my PERSONAL Recreations Use off-road truck on a trailer a couple times a year (it mostly gets towed behind my motorhome)

I am purchasing it out of state and would like to register in CA as a Recreation Vehicle to minimize the cost of insurance and registration.

From my understanding I need to do the following. 

- Comply with this "A vehicle where any FOUR of the following SIX items. 1. Toilet 2. Sink 3. 110 volt AC power 4. Heating and or A/C 5. Cooking facilities 6. Refrigeration"

- Remove all air connections for trailer (suggested by someone to avoid any questions)

- Have an inspection by CHP

- Weigh Truck

- Go to DMV and register as RV when I put title in my name. 

THOUGHTS:

- Can I just frame a quick camper  out of 2x4's and plywood on the flat bed that has the four of the six items listed?

- I have some family in Arizona I was wondering if it would be easier to get it titled in Arizona as a RV then bring it to CA the following year?

Any help is appreciated, thank you. 

43581251551.455431628.IM1.02.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg

You will not be able to register that truck as an RV in CA.  CA does not allow trucks to be converted to an RV (to do the title conversion in CA).  Most states will not allow a truck like that to be converted to an RV.  Without a sleeper, it will be very difficult to meet the RV requirements (if not impossible).

I don’t believe AZ allows it either.  If memory serves me, I believe AZ only allows private truck registration (but it has been a while since I looked at AZ laws, so I could be wrong about that).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

When I registered m y MDT in our home state of Arizona, even though I wasn't trying to register is as an RV they inspected the truck.  It is registered as a flat bed truck.  I asked the lady doing the registration what is required for an RV registration.  It is a ton of stuff, like an actual bed, refer, if a microwave is used to meet the cooking device a generator must be attached to the truck, an rv hitch etc. She said they are getting very strict not because of the RV'rs but because of commercial folk trying to pull a fast one.  It would be much less expensive for you to register the truck in Arizona, but you must provide an Arizona drivers license, to get that you that must have some form of Id like a birth cert or passport.  Additionally you must show proof of residency like a power bill. 

20 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You will not be able to register that truck as an RV in CA.  CA does not allow trucks to be converted to an RV (to do the title conversion in CA).  Most states will not allow a truck like that to be converted to an RV.  Without a sleeper, it will be very difficult to meet the RV requirements (if not impossible).

I don’t believe AZ allows it either.  If memory serves me, I believe AZ only allows private truck registration (but it has been a while since I looked at AZ laws, so I could be wrong about that).

There have been people who have done exactly what you just stated is not possible. 

9 hours ago, Grassy said:

Unless the back seat folds down to a bed.... ?

I am willing to remove the back seat and build a temporary bed and anything else I need to pass the inspection. I can build\fabricate pretty much anything

9 hours ago, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

When I registered m y MDT in our home state of Arizona, even though I wasn't trying to register is as an RV they inspected the truck.  It is registered as a flat bed truck.  I asked the lady doing the registration what is required for an RV registration.  It is a ton of stuff, like an actual bed, refer, if a microwave is used to meet the cooking device a generator must be attached to the truck, an rv hitch etc. She said they are getting very strict not because of the RV'rs but because of commercial folk trying to pull a fast one.  It would be much less expensive for you to register the truck in Arizona, but you must provide an Arizona drivers license, to get that you that must have some form of Id like a birth cert or passport.  Additionally you must show proof of residency like a power bill. 

I am willing to build\ meet the requirements for inspection. 

What is your cost for registration in AZ?

What is your insurance cost? 

I didn't think you had to have a power bill in your name?? 

I know people have got ID's in AZ without one, just needed a mailing address.

12 minutes ago, Twitch said:

There have been people who have done exactly what you just stated is not possible. .

In the past, yes.  In the last few years, no.  The only people that have titled an HDT as a motorhome in CA recently have been people who brought an already converted title from another state.  Those trucks/conversions have also all been full sleeper HDT’s, not MDT crew cab trucks.

If you really want to get into the weeds on this issue in CA, I can give you actual case law (somebody took it to court and lost) and DMV rules that say it is illegal to convert an HDT to a motorhome in CA.

You might get lucky and bring an out of state converted title to CA and get it registered (which has been done within the last few months with a full sleeper HDT conversion from another state), but even that will be hit and miss depending on which DMV you go to and how diligent they are at following their own rules.  You will definitely be fighting an uphill battle with a crew cab MDT.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

7 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

In the past, yes.  In the last few years, no.  The only people that have titled an HDT as a motorhome in CA recently have been people who brought an already converted title from another state.  Those trucks/conversions have also all been full sleeper HDT’s, not MDT crew cab trucks.

If you really want to get into the weeds on this issue in CA, I can give you actual case law (somebody took it to court and lost) and DMV rules that say it is illegal to convert an HDT to a motorhome in CA.

You might get lucky and bring an out of state converted title to CA and get it registered (which has been done within the last few months with a full sleeper HDT conversion from another state), but even that will be hit and miss depending on which DMV you go to and how diligent they are at following their own rules.  You will definitely be fighting an uphill battle with a crew cab MDT.

Seen a MDT crew cab reg in CA as RV in last year with some minor modifications to fit the rules stated in first post. 

I was asking for advice from others who have done this before,  not to argue on weather it is possible or not.  You can accept the information I am telling you or not does not matter to me. 

Just check your facts if your going to make statements like this "You will not be able to register that truck as an RV in CA" 

9 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Please share info or contact info for the person that was successful in registering a 4 door MDT as a RV in Cali. Others may benifit from their experience.   Thx

Sorry, I am not going to share someone else's information but I will keep you posted as I go through the process.

Basically he did exactly what I stated in the first post. Removed seats in cab, made a bed, attached generator, hooked up microwave, hooked up fridge, and had a portable toilet. 

After that was in place he said he called out a private DMV service to do the vin verification and they filled out the change of classification form. From there he went to the DMV. 

So we will see how it goes. Just hopping to find others that have had success in CA, if not AZ or UT 

I would suggest calling CARB before you decide on making that purchase and trying to register it in Cali.  I called them to inquire about registering a 2003 Duramax Diesel truck with a flatbed and was told that it would only be allowed to be registered in Cali for a specific amount of years, as it did not have DEF or DPF.  So I passed on it even though it was a good fit for my purpose and was a great price.  CARB is phasing out diesels that are not compliant with the current smog requirements for diesels.   See how many older diesel Class 7-8 trucks will be around in Cali after 2023.  I think not very many without the DPF upgrade, and even then the time limit is in place. 

Marcel

1 minute ago, rpsinc said:

I would suggest calling CARB before you decide on making that purchase and trying to register it in Cali.  I called them to inquire about registering a 2003 Duramax Diesel truck with a flatbed and was told that it would only be allowed to be registered in Cali for a specific amount of years, as it did not have DEF or DPF.  So I passed on it even though it was a good fit for my purpose and was a great price.  CARB is phasing out diesels that are not compliant with the current smog requirements for diesels.   See how many older diesel Class 7-8 trucks will be around in Cali after 2023.  I think not very many without the DPF upgrade, and even then the time limit is in place. 

Thank you for the information I will look into this. So maybe the best answer for me is to register out of state. 

So anyone in UT or AZ. From the list I saw Utah was really easy to complete this. 

7 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Sorry, I am not going to share someone else's information but I will keep you posted as I go through the process.

Thanks.

Good Luck. 

I think your friend found a person at the DMV that didn’t know their own rules... it happens!

Just for my curiosity.... if you knew first hand that this was accomplished in CAli why ask the forum?  Just copy what worked and go for it!

Exactly like I stated already " looking for other people that may have had the same success" 

Sorry for doing my research. Do you stop at the first source you find or do you check for others?

This forum has been more of a hassle then a help, probably just move on anyways. Thank you to the ones that provided useful information it was appreciated.  

6 hours ago, Twitch said:

There have been people who have done exactly what you just stated is not possible. 

I am willing to remove the back seat and build a temporary bed and anything else I need to pass the inspection. I can build\fabricate pretty much anything

I am willing to build\ meet the requirements for inspection. 

What is your cost for registration in AZ?

What is your insurance cost? 

I didn't think you had to have a power bill in your name?? 

I know people have got ID's in AZ without one, just needed a mailing address.

The cost of registration and insurance is based on the cost of the truck, so my info on a 2015 Sportchassis would not be useful for comparison to your truck.  Like most states now Arizona does require proof of residency to get a license, not just a mailing address.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:57 PM, Twitch said:

Seen a MDT crew cab reg in CA as RV in last year with some minor modifications to fit the rules stated in first post. 

I was asking for advice from others who have done this before,  not to argue on weather it is possible or not.  You can accept the information I am telling you or not does not matter to me. 

Just check your facts if your going to make statements like this "You will not be able to register that truck as an RV in CA" 

I will not argue with you about this, but LEGALLY it cannot be done.  As I stated earlier I can provide you the case law and rules that prove this.  You might get lucky and find someone at a DMV Office that will do it because they don’t know the law or their own rules, but that is a big crap shoot.  Some people have gotten lucky and done it, others have been red flagged in the DMV system and prevented from registering there vehicle at all (again, I can provide examples).  CA does not allow the title conversion within the state.  The best chance to get it registered in CA is to get the title converted in another state first.  This will be difficult with a crew cab MDT, but not impossible.  It will still be a crap shoot brining it to CA and trying to get them to honor the RV title.  It has been done, but not on a regular basis.  It is hit and miss.  You can believe me or not, but what I am telling you is fact, not opinion.  I am in law enforcement and have personal experience in this process along with case law to back up everything I have stated.  You can choose to believe it or not, but it is the truth.  I’m sorry you are not getting the answer you are looking for.

event.png    

• 4 months later...

I live in Utah. Registered my IH 4700 sport  build as a flat bed pickup. Dropped the registration fees down considerably. They saw the IH 4700, looked it up and wanted to charge on the commercial rate at it's rated tow weight, etc. I showed the lady a photo on my phone. She went, "now that's cool.  It's a flatbed with a hitch". And that's how it's registered. I did ask if it could be registered as a motorhome configuration. She indicated that could cost more than just the Pickup flatbed. I took her suggestion.

I haven't looked deeply into the regs for qualification as an RV/motorhome classification. My quick look found it to wide open and easy.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:09 PM, rpsinc said:

what about other states? as in only ca has this dpf thing. or is it a fed thing to forch companys to buy a new trucks fleet?

i would like to go mdt. but this intrusave dpf gets in the way. excessive government controls, only destroys.

I have a MDT but its not registered in Cali.  Dont know about other states requirements as they are not a concern for me at this time.  I do know that alot of non-compliant trucks from Cali are going out of state.  Others to Mexico and others are crushed.

Marcel

Archived