We're back & raring to get on the road!

RV Hooligans

Don't know if anyone remembers us, but our #101359 should tip you off to how long ago we started dreaming of going FT.   Attended an Escapade in Goshen, as well as the last 2 'Life on Wheels' conferences before Gaylord died.  Toured Excel & New Horizon factories in Kansas as well as 3/4 factories in Indiana.  Back then I did some comments here.   I've been lurking, even if not posting.    

In Jan 2012 my kids (all OTR truck drivers) told us we needed to get the truck to get used to it before we got our 5th wheel.  (Are you seeing how really far this all goes back?) We got a RAM 3500 diesel dually 4wd.    Oct 2015 we got  a used SunnyBrook 32.5 Titan.  Promptly (Nov) made our first trip to Livingston & did 2 days of lessons with Greg from the RV Driving school.   He told us we both had EXCEPTIONAL lane control---well duh--we'd been driving the BAT (BigAssTruck) for 4 years!   We left the RV with my son in northern Texas & picked it back a couple months later  That's been our longest trip so far: 2 months to CA to see family & friends  When we decided it would have been wonderful to have spread that out to 6 or 7 months we realized YES- we will be happy in the FT life!  

We have spent too many retired years in our S+B...becoming very comfortable in the life of unpaid 'professional volunteers' with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park...also at an 1890's living history farm.  Always saying some day we'll FT.  Well, late last fall we decided it was time to sh*t or get off the pot.  

Just wanted to reintroduce ourselves as I do plan to be popping up often.

Linda & Larry

Linda, Larry, & the Hooligan Shelties

Hope to be FT in 2012 in 5th Wheel

LOL...We sure took the slow track!  Been enjoying retirement as volunteers with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park & Kline Creek Farm living history farm in West Chicago.   But now its time to get this show on the road.   ETD: 1st quarter 2019!

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Good for you Linda AND Larry!

WB!

We had our 1 Ton Dodge Diesel Dually a year before we bought the 35 foot 5th wheel RV Just before I retired from a 27 year USAF career at 45 y/o. I'm 65 now and fully retired again and moving to the We actually had our used RV delivered to us at the Lackland AFB RV park. I was still active duty and working my last few weeks before being relieved of duty early, and then we stayed around to be on call for another few weeks until my successor had the reins firmly under control. We drove for nine hours to Louisiana on our first time out with all those ten foot wide construction lanes on I-35 for ten miles on the North side of San Antonio. White knuckled it.

Then we full timed for seven  years doing everything West of the Mississippi, from Mexico up to and including a year doing Alaska and western Canada No regrets.  We came off the road only to care for or aging remaining parents (my in laws). Our youngest son asked that we move closer for when he has "the duty" for us. None of that would have been possible without RVing till here.

Now make your history! You made it!!!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Great seeing you back on the forums. Consider this to be your invitation to attend Escapade this year in Sedalia, MO. 

6 hours ago, RV Hooligans said:

Attended an Escapade in Goshen, as well as the last 2 'Life on Wheels' conferences before Gaylord died.

Since Gaylord passed on in 2008,  that makes it 10 years since you did that. It is definitely time to take action and hit the road. He wrote for Motorhome Magazine for many years and I was fortunate enough to have received his permission to reproduce one of his columns on our website and it is still there today. He addressed the cost of fulltime RV life and I believe that it is still the best answer to that question that can be given. 

I look forward to seeing more posts from you and hope to meet you in Sedalia! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We'd love to meet up in Sedalia but my sister-in-law will be visiting from CA at the same time.  There are already plans that preclude our bringing her with.    

Linda, Larry, & the Hooligan Shelties

Hope to be FT in 2012 in 5th Wheel

LOL...We sure took the slow track!  Been enjoying retirement as volunteers with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park & Kline Creek Farm living history farm in West Chicago.   But now its time to get this show on the road.   ETD: 1st quarter 2019!

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Archived