TSLB2H hitch maintenance

Padraic

Randy's hitch is all together.  The side clevis pins (the ones that will not come out normally) were the most worn.  The clevis pins down through the top of the hitch that the jaws swivel on showed no wear.  Here is a picture of the modified hitch side clevis pins.  The pins are new and oversized to fit.  I left a shoulder on the end to keep them from going in more than they should.  They were center bored to the depth of the center pivot point.  The end of that center bore was taped to 1/4-28 and a grease zerk installed.  Then a outboard retainer was made to keep the pin from coming out but still let the pin be removed later for inspection.  Randy will have to let us know how the pin holds up.

jOO1VWul.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

18 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Randy's hitch is all together.  The side clevis pins (the ones that will not come out normally) were the most worn.  The clevis pins down through the top of the hitch that the jaws swivel on showed no wear.  Here is a picture of the modified hitch side clevis pins.  The pins are new and oversized to fit.  I left a shoulder on the end to keep them from going in more than they should.  They were center bored to the depth of the center pivot point.  The end of that center bore was taped to 1/4-28 and a grease zerk installed.  Then a outboard retainer was made to keep the pin from coming out but still let the pin be removed later for inspection.  Randy will have to let us know how the pin holds up.

jOO1VWul.jpg "border=0

Chet,

Really nice work.  Applause.  Those side plates are what I was referring to in Henry’s other thread about the Binkley.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks all.  I am considering dismantling my nearly new TSLB2H that the insurance company bought me and make the same mods before they wear. 

I might also put grease zerks in the jaw clevis pins but there was so little wear I doubt it would be worth it. 

Opinions, please.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Wow, nice work.  

I see Randy has one of those rare heads with the right hand jaw release.  Must be for the British market?:)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

jOO1VWul.jpg "border=0

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the talent on this forum. I've "resurrected" old things beat up, not working, etc., and appreciate the effort that it takes. The zerk idea is grand, I'm assuming there is a grease galley sideways into the wear area, that was the more difficult concept I was considering, the other approach I thought about was to drill access holes in the top of the head and put zerks in top of the supports with grease galley down to the swivel shafts. Shaft retainer plates are given, nicely done, you'll see the same thing below in the "alternative".

THE ALTERNATIVE.

8qxZOttl.jpg

V6FADcIl.jpg

1. The base would be all new, It's cheaper to build a new one than to screw around trying to salvage the old one and there would be "improvements". The shaft support flanges are much more massive and have high tech non grease-able bearings. also the main shaft tube would have those bearings, currently there are none.

2. The head is a new version of the Super Binkley, it's slightly smaller and the same overall size as the old round Binkley for a better fit in TS. If time permits there might one of these at the ECR. Shafts are removable, see the mounting similarity. Jaws and the block from the old Binkley (these are indestructible) could be moved to the new head to keep the cost of refurb down. The two jaws and the block are by far the most expensive items in the head.

Very nice work on the grease zerk job.....

People have been doing similar things for a pretty long time, but that is an exceptionally neat job. Generally, a channel is cut and the zerk services that channel. I had that mod done on a TS hitch I had back in 2003 (I think). Might have been 2004. I'm surprised no one has "commercialized" this service.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived