Used RV Models to stay away from

DanBree

I am working towards purchasing a Class A Diesel Pusher, and I was wondering if there are any specific brands or models which I should avoid outright.  Thank you for any information you can share.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

This is not a model answer but, with the hurricanes we've had in recent years, I would be looking for water damage. Not just in hurricane territory, either, as some dealers move their inventory away from storm areas to decrease the number of people who will think to look for this type of damage.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Specific brands to avoid is a very subjective choice but there are some brands that do enjoy a better overall reputation than do most RV manufacturers. I suggest on your list should be Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago as leading contenders. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Specific brands to avoid is a very subjective choice but there are some brands that do enjoy a better overall reputation than do most RV manufacturers. I suggest on your list should be Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago as leading contenders. 

X2

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

New or used comes into this equation. And if used, budget range.

Again on the coaches to look into, if used, and if within budget. (And an opinion of mine, that it's better to drop model years and buy the highest quality coach that meets our needs, while remaining in budget, then buying a newer laser quality RV:)!).

Makes/Models to consider, and not a complete list:

Alpine - All

Beaver - All. But, Patriot Thunder and Marquis are their leaders.

Country Coach - All. But Allure/Intrigue/Magna/Affinity are their leaders

Travel Supreme - All

Tripple E - All. But few and far apart.

Monaco - Dynasty, Executive, Signature (And their Holiday Rambler counter parts.)

Entegra - All. But Anthem, Cornerstone are their leaders

Wonderlodge - All.

Foretravel - All.

Newmar - All. But Mountain Aire and above are their leaders. Dutch Stars, in many model years, cross over into a fine DP.

American Coach - All. Add the Fleetwood Revolution LE, built on the American Coach factory floor.

----

OP - Keep reading. Go kick some tires. Sit in a rig, or 50+, and see how you feel the interior supports you. Consider if you want to tow a heavy load, and engine up to do so. Understand the differences between Side and Rear Radiators, Exhaust/PAC vs Jake Compression or Allison Retarder Brake Assist, Air Leveling, Raised Rail Frame, Etc., Etc... Lots of good info reading here, and other boards. 

Then. Go choose your budget, narrow down the makes and models that you like that fit that budget range - then go shopping:)!

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, DanBree said:

I am working towards purchasing a Class A Diesel Pusher

Any comments or questions? Are you thinking new, used 5 years or less, used 10 years or less, or perhaps 10+ years? All of those factors are issues that influence my opinions, as well as the size of your budget. If I were to buy without any budget limits, my first choice would be a coach from Newell Coach and my coach to compare with would be a Marathon Coach. If you have a budget of $500k or greater, both of those companies do sell used/reconditioned coaches at far less than the cost of new. In my opinion, these two are the very top of the quality RV marked but our budget can barely allow us to walk through and look at one of these. 

We knew a couple who bought a reconditioned 1987 Newell in late 1996. We last saw them in 2014 and they were still living fulltime in that coach and were completely satisfied, reporting very few problems. 

Used Newells in very good condition can be bought for well under $500k.  Motorhomes of Texas and a few other dealerships usually have a few on their lots.  MOT has 6 right now and 5 are under $500k.  I know the owner of the 1999 for $129k and would not hesitate to buy that one.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

4 hours ago, folivier said:

Used Newells in very good condition can be bought for well under $500k.

Absolutely and even occasionally from the Newell like I gave but when you get one from Newell, it has been gone through by their techs and some even have a warranty! That isn't the case for those bought from other sources and most that cost less than $500k will also be more than 10 years old.

• For coaches that qualify, warranties are available that are underwritten and administered directly by Newell. This includes a 2-year, 24,000-mile warranty for qualifying coaches. For more information, contact one of our sales representatives or view an example of our 2-year warranty.

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Any comments or questions? Are you thinking new, used 5 years or less, used 10 years or less, or perhaps 10+ years? All of those factors are issues that influence my opinions, as well as the size of your budget.

I am looking for used, at least 5 years old, but fine with older if is well taken care of and well built.  A lot of the coaches I am currently considering are 10-15 yrs old.  All coaches which I am considering are 40' or shorter, and I am not considering anything longer. Budget wise, under $150,000.

Dan & Bree

1 hour ago, DanBree said:

I am looking for used, at least 5 years old, but fine with older ~ ~ ~ Budget wise, under $150,000.

That helps. This link should give you some idea of what you may be looking at. Here are some listings from a TX dealer.

Last year I bought a 2012 Berkshire 390bh- It was under 5 years old and the when I found a oil leak it was still under warranty. (good News)- This winter I called factory for replacement seat covers( leather was failing) they sent me covers free of charge. I could not be happier with the service I  am getting from Berkshire.

I would call the factory to see it they will support you being 2nd owner- some don't Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to stay at $150,000 or under, plus 40' or under, I would think you will have a ton of high quality DP coaches to pick from all over the country.   We did a lot of research and were only looking at 4 different manufacturers which I won't mention.  We ended up with a Newmar for several reasons in the end.  Desired floor plan, comfort drive system, and rep of company.  

Good luck with your search!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 2 months later...

We found a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G for a good price.  Thanks to all for your input.

Dan & Bree

3 hours ago, DanBree said:

We found a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G for a good price. 

Sounds like it should be a winner. We all have favorites, but in reality, there are more than a few brands of good, used RVs. While I don't list the Discovery as one of my favorites, it is not a bad RV and I know and have known several owners of them who were quite satisfied. Keep us posted on your progress.

23 hours ago, DanBree said:

We found a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G for a good price.  Thanks to all for your input.

We also decided on a Discovery (older than yours) and we have been very happy with ours...I would recommend you join the DOA or Discovery Owners Association. They have a great forum with tons of folks that have answers to lots of problems you might run into that are specific to Discovery's! Good luck and safe travels!!

Archived