Tow vehicle

Chuck

Interested in any comments relative to Sport Chassis tow vehicles. Currently  have a 2000 f350 7.3, pulling a tow behind travel trailer. We will be moving toward full time, hopefully, within the next year. My 2000 is not sufficient to pull our planned upgrade to fifth wheel, approx 20,000#. I am interested in moving to a pre-emissions tow vehicle. Is it worth giving consideration to an Fl 60 or M2 arrangement up to the 2007 model year? What are maintance cost considerations compared to dually 350/450, 3500's Dodge or Chevy?

I'll just welcome you to the forums and comment that too much truck is a much better choice than too little. Since I have no experience towing a fifth wheel, I'll leave the rest to those who have but did want to say "hello."  :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a 2004 Freightliner M2 that i enjoy driving. It is more roomy than a standard pickup cab but i can't speak to the size of the 450 size cabs.  The deck of my truck has more storage than i really need but it is all under lock and key so i don't worry about stuff dissapearing out of the box if i leave it unattended.  The weight of the truck makes for safer handeling on curvey or rough loads.  The 300 hp and 800ft lb torque are adequate but i could always use more on the long steep pulls.  My Fullhouse is a heavy trailer and my m2 is JUST enough truck for my needs.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Chuck

I have gone the route you are on. Go to the HDT forum on this site. Down from the top some is a thread called HDT pursuit that I wrote my different pullers and fifth's. It will give you my take on the subject. I got lucky to find the Volvo I got but there are  less $ rigs that come available. All I can say is I would never go back to anything else other than possibly a truck conversion RV like Renegade and others. Like one person said "it is better to have too much truck and not need it than  than not have enough truck and need it"

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Welcome to the forum.

I had a 2011 F350 DRW with 6.7 when I picked up my 2016 DRV which I thought would weigh about 17,000 loaded. Well I was wrong as I had about 20,000# with 5,000 on the pin. I was considering a F450 for a replacement but quickly added a Class 5 to list to look for. I found a used 2015 FL M2 106 Sports Chassis. I would not go back to anything smaller. And last summer I was forced to slow down quickly when a fellow blew a stop sign. I then knew I had the right truck for the pull and STOPPING.

Yes you are wise to look over the Pre-emisssion  engines before leaping. Regarding Maintenance cost on a cost per mile I think cost of labor is about the same and parts more per unit but cheaper per mile driven.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived