Oil filled Bearings

EagleEye

2 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

OK Its cold Its wet and I'm bored so I will bite What oil filled bearings ?

My Mobile Suite has oil wheel bearings. I need to add some oil to one of them.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Interesting Have you located a leak I can just imagine what oil would do to brake pads. Try asking google my guess would be 140W. I tried to google on my phone but my connection is weak..looks like a few problems with oil bath wheels

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Thanks for the replies. I found some Lucas Hub Oil at NAPA. Tried a truck stop and another auto parts store before I found it at NAPA. No I didn't see any signs of a leak. I'll check it again in a couple hundred miles and see what it looks like then.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Most pickup trucks with dual wheels have oil bath wheel bearings fed from the differential. If you need to work on the bearings or axles, it's important to prime the hubs, one method is to jack up one side of the truck to allow the oil to flow to the hub. This is not required on a trailer hub since they are all separate hubs. Amsoil has synthetic 75/90 gear oil that I have used on trailer hubs with good results.

Greg

1 hour ago, Ronbo said:

75w90 synthetic. The napa hub oil may be synthetic. Most likely leak is rear seal. I will be converting to oil bath in the next 3 weeks.

I'm curious on why the change to oil bath bearings, Is it cost effective? I've had both systems on trailers and while the yearly greasing of bearings is a PITA, the cost is almost nothing if you DIY and the brake visual inspection is a bonus.

Greg

The only difference on a DRV between oil and grease bearings is the inner seal. The oil filled has two sealing rings, the greased has one. It has been recommended by more than one to drill a VERY small hole in the black fill plug for venting if swapping to oil due to thermal air pressure buildup. They have been known to blow the seal because of pressure and lose their oil.

I just prefer to keep my good old tub of grease and clean, inspect and re-grease every couple of years.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 9/21/2017 at 2:15 PM, EagleEye said:

Checked my bearings today and one of them is low on oil. What weight and type of oil should I use to replenish it?

deleted, redundant.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Our boat trailer has Reliable brand wet bearings with sight glass. After 10 years they still look great with same amount and same color oil. Book says use 75w-90.

Dexter in my boat trailer (I think) ... 75w-90

Front wheel bearings on the dually - 75w-90

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived