Need Advice on RVs

travelthere

So a little about myself. Some 20 years ago I fulltimed and was an Escapee. Lot of fun. Getting a divorce and looking to get a used fifth wheel or other that is smaller than the Titanium that we last had that is solidly built and good for fulltiming. Will likely not be staying in frigid areas, but if there is additional insulation for such that is a plus.
I'm not up on the RV makers these days. I know there have been mergers and such. Plan to sell my older F-250 and get a gas truck with better gas mileage as diesel is pricey. I sell online on Amazon and other sites so would be using for business as well. Have looked at the Sprinters but they are pricey and too small. Suggestions anyone?

Welcome to the Escapee forums. For winter in cold climates, there are only a few made to really be comfortable in and even with the best you will need to make some special preparations and efforts. It is vital that you skirt the RV to keep wind and snow out from under it as it will be nearly impossible to keep even the best RV warm without. Arctic Fox makes some high-quality RVs as do several other manufacturers like DRV or New Horizons.

29 minutes ago, travelthere said:

Plan to sell my older F-250 and get a gas truck with better gas mileage as diesel is pricey. 

I don't think that you will find many to agree with this thinking. It is true that diesel fuel usually costs more but diesels also tow better. Towing our small travel trailer, the V-6 gas SUV gets only 11 mpg while it gets 23 alone. Our diesel truck (2500) gets only 19 mpg empty but towing it gets 16 mpg and it handles the trailer much better especially on long steep grades. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

I don't think that you will find many to agree with this thinking. It is true that diesel fuel usually costs more but diesels also tow better. Towing our small travel trailer, the V-6 gas SUV gets only 11 mpg while it gets 23 alone. Our diesel truck (2500) gets only 19 mpg empty but towing it gets 16 mpg and it handles the trailer much better especially on long steep grades. 

Couldn't agree more.

13 minutes ago, travelthere said:

Well have had my F250 many years and it seems to drink up the diesel in driving around town, plus they are more expensive to maintain. Maybe the newer ones have improved on the mileage. Haven't decided what size trailer, fifth wheel, or all in one to get.

If you have the 7.3L diesel then I understand well how you dont like the fuel economy.  Those motors seemed pretty robust and LOTS or torque, but not good on fuel at all.  And yes, newer models have much better engineering and so that has equated to better fuel economy as well.  

I have a DRV Select Suites for sale.  Same quality of the DRV line as the Mobile Suites but not the price.  Very comfy trailer.  If interested, send a PM and I can forward some info.  Or search in the for sale forum.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 F250, CC, longbed, diesel and when towing a 14,000 lbs fiver it gets 13 MPG. Not towing on the hwy it gets 19 MPG. I have never gotten anywhere near that with a gas pickup. Down in SE Texas diesel and gas are just about the same price or diesel a few cents more.

Archived