AIR COMPRESSOR REMOVAL VED12

PEIFamily

Hi,

Been a crazy summer so far, haven't had a moment to work on the truck yet, but I need to pull off my compressor soon to repair a drip from the bottom (Have jb weld on the "frost plugs" but still dripping a bit so want to fix it for good).   NOW.. How much of a pain is it to take these off? I saw RandyA's post about it and wondering if anyone has any hints/tips to do it.  

I am guessing it is a bit more complex then just removing the rubber lines and unbolting the few bolts....

Does the coolant need to be drained?  etc?

Thanks

Jason

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• 1 month later...

Coolant needs to be drained to below the compressor. I have changed them on Cummins and Cats, but can't see any difference on my D12. Compressor heads are water cooled in most cases.

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

You must have the 37mm wrench - open end.  Not something many of us have in our tool bag.  Also not at Harbor Freight or Amazon.  You can find 36mm and use a 6" bench grinder to open it to 37mm.  Replace the L and U hoses while the compressor is off.  Read through all of my comments and replies in the compressor replace post.  Keep in mind you will need more parts.  New O rings for the metal coolant pipes are needed as well.  At least you have a repairable problem and don't need to purchase a new compressor.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

10 hours ago, RandyA said:

You must have the 37mm wrench - open end.  Not something many of us have in our tool bag.  Also not at Harbor Freight or Amazon.  You can find 36mm and use a 6" bench grinder to open it to 37mm.  Replace the L and U hoses while the compressor is off.  Read through all of my comments and replies in the compressor replace post.  Keep in mind you will need more parts.  New O rings for the metal coolant pipes are needed as well.  At least you have a repairable problem and don't need to purchase a new compressor.

No idea why, but I decided I had to find out if a 37mm could be bought somewhere .

Handy conversion chart.  I even tried 1-7/16" to millimeter and it was .050" off.

The good news is Home Despot and several others sell them.  Probably online only.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived