Back up cam and TPMS. Ideas please!

13speed

4 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I've been saving this research for a later time when I am ready for it.  But one question I have is about outdoor weatherproof cameras.  Can someone please share a link or 2 for researching HDT appropriate cameras?  I'm in no hurry just yet.  Thanks. 

It totally depends on what method/direction you want to take. The IP camera direction has certain advantages, and also disadvantages.   The normal camera method is what most people use and are familiar with. Reasonable cameras can be had in the $69-$100 or so range. These connect to a video monitor, not a computer or tablet.  Waterproof or resistant cameras are easy to find. I'll provide more specific info when you get ready to do your project, especially yon my IP camera experiences.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jack Mayer said:

It totally depends on what method/direction you want to take. The IP camera direction has certain advantages, and also disadvantages.

Jack, Thanks for the feedback.  As you can tell I have not researched yet.  It seems to me that a major part of the plan will start with mounting locations, or footprint for the cameras.  

In picking up some of the info you have posted, I like the resolution and multiple function abilities of you IP camera system so I'm leaning that way.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Just now, Sculptor said:

Jack, Thanks for the feedback.  As you can tell I have not researched yet.  It seems to me that a major part of the plan will start with mounting locations, or footprint for the cameras.  

In picking up some of the info you have posted, I like the resolution and multiple function abilities of you IP camera system so I'm leaning that way.  

I'm not yet convinced that IP cameras are the way to go....but there are some distinct advantages to using the tablet. It is a very-multi-functional device. It is great to just snap it off the dash and take it anywhere with no effort. That assumes you have inductive charging...otherwise you have to unplug the power cord :)

There are issues with IP form factor and affordable cameras in a reasonable form factor. Also, there is an inherent delay in a wireless IP system (not so much in wired). So linking to the tablet wireless can have a small delay to it - and there is no way to link wired. How annoying the delay is depends on what you are doing with the system. You certainly would not pull out in front of someone using that camera system !!! But in practice it seems usable. 

Show below is a a test setup with a TV acting as a console, the Samsung tablet wirelessly connected, the NVR, a POE switch driving the cameras (integrated into the NVR in my other equipment), and last the NVR (which is 12-volt, BTW, so easy to wire into the truck). The white box on top with the antenna is a min-router/repeater set up as the local security network, and repeating to another AP (they are separate networks). The camera is the black blob on the lower left of the monitor (barely visible). 

In this setup the TV is mounted in the truck or trailer and can show all the cameras, as well as the tablet. So imagine all 8 cameras on both the truck and trailer being able to be displayed either in the truck or the trailer - or anywhere in the world on your phone (assuming you tie into your Internet in the trailer). I dedicated a Mobley to this setup, but the repeater function on the mini-router effectively connects to anything, including an Ethernet connection.

There is a ways to go before I'm willing to say I'm ready to advocate this for "most" people. It is pretty setup intense if you don't have experience in multiple disciplines. We will likely put this or something similar in the truck/trailer combo we are building, though. It has too many advantages to ignore.

Q2o5wXasodEx9lSB4Emw4TUxXDoI9ywspNBGFtXaycDk6OHgT02wfRxmQqpTxzQASRHD-IbDznyP1TkeVn10yPZWSHRgxAof173qlW9c_9YLZ3unARe_bQeKP2JUQFC_14oB968Jyz3R6gJnD81H2P_dJGvQH5_QGNoNnWLGjgPne5EoVtBUXRgityIYNYsBMAuXkN0J3fGW3Ip9qEMGlYokzqt1CQgIkjHX0hrY0VTvPjcumR3Ee6PHxtc-OVjcf0NJ3B-vlmJoUx30XelQy1Wo1qBl7QM0RA91iUrBFRmduQp4tJdkfj-_FNrgHFSmcXB7J6QZceDBcbZ6mggQ70gRiJeuHNDm-Ylv4xvaW2QxylprkdV577uNER8g1dbn4yUhqtmYWE8f8MoynKzfV8ic8wXBjRolKCim7sMf0kJbxgzxfb48bK4VpHGjZzM18B1sACfqSQNSLfQHCMbU2ORa3OprwizAZcm70PuEG9JfEmECWDpHCO-sGzBc0aUddb687okFDZopB4AMKjrcTgS2ymwD5cmHlwOExLnCrdvwzdDQqBTPcFQPj9nJCEesRDuzsRshUmdViCnXZWNa90aqebhwdmD4TsOmvTqyMUg=w1525-h858-no

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Is there a bluetooth wireless camera that will communicate 58 ft ahead with my steam and belt drive Garmin Deezl bluetooth capable GPS that sits on the dash ?  Would like it mostly for noteven backing into posts, fences, garbage cans and the like... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Bluetooth ain't gonna travel that far. Not even with you hanging it out the window, and the camera hanging off a bracket on the side of the trailer. Next time you're stuck in traffic, do a quick search with anything Bluetooth. Take the device count, look around you for a quick count of possible devices. 2 people in the car beside you, that's probably 2 devices. Single driver ahead, one device. Now do the math based on the devices seen by your device. Not very far, I bet.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Bluetooth ain't gonna travel that far. Not even with you hanging it out the window, and the camera hanging off a bracket on the side of the trailer. Next time you're stuck in traffic, do a quick search with anything Bluetooth. Take the device count, look around you for a quick count of possible devices. 2 people in the car beside you, that's probably 2 devices. Single driver ahead, one device. Now do the math based on the devices seen by your device. Not very far, I bet.

That actually depends on the class of BT. We use BT communicators on our motorcyles and they do use Class 1 (which is the higest available at 100mw). Some of the communicator's claim over a mile on their BT communicators with an anetnna, but generally speaking in real world use it's about line of sight which sometimes can be a mile, but if something gets in that line of sight though like a big mountain, it drastically cuts down the distance.

With that said, general headset BT is class 2 which is a dramatic drop at 2.5mw and is good for 10m or 33ft. Class 1 is a measly 1mw. This is the BT most of us are familiar with on our phones and headsets and yes in this case it wouldn't work that well.

I doubt anyone is making a BT camera with class 1 BT technology, but maybe? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived