Kirk Wood

How large/small is your fulltime budget?

How much does it cost you?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What is the typical total amount of all living expenses for a year on the road?

• less than $10,000 per year.
    • $10,00 or more but less than $20,000 per year.
    • $20,000 or more but less than $30,000 per year.
    • $30,000 or more but less than $40,000 per year.
    • $40,000 or more, but less than $50,000 per year.
    • $50,000 or more, but less than $60,000 per year.
    • $60,000 or more, but less than $70,000 per year.
    • $70,000 or more, but less than $80,000 per year.
    • $80,000 or more but less than $90,000 per year.
    • $90,000 or more but less than $100,000 per year.
    • $100,000 or more annual expenditures.

3 hours ago, Dejae said:

Kirk,

I wish the pole was capable of showing in each of those cost categories, what kind of fulltimer are you?

Do you travel alot (how many miles a year), do you belong to memberships (what kind), do you go from an owned property/lot to another, diesel or gas, motorhome, 5er, TT, HDT.

How often do you eat out? Do you have pet expenses (how many)?

That keeps the you from going WOW, you spend what or saying OMG, how do you live on so little.

What I miss is when I started lurking on RVNetworks, 7/8 years ago... people use to share their yearly expense sheets.

I know it is a very personal thing but it was super helpful to us back then to know if we were going to be able to do this as there were expenses that never entered our head.

I still wish some would post their more recent ones. This our first year fulltiming and I would love to see where are we overflying in comparison to most and where are we saving or NOT!

There are many folks like you Dejae.  Maybe in the same spirit you benefitted from beforehand, you'd be kind enough to share your first years full timing budget with others now :)

In anticipation of going full time in 2018, I needed some numbers to determine if we could actually go full time.  In 2017 we spent 65 nights on the road and drove 11k miles. I calculated for that time frame we spent approx $6364.  This calculated to a high estimate for a annual cost of $35,737.  This is where I projected to be. Over $30k but under $40k. 

I hope to still get this number down as most of my camping expenses were job related and reimbursed. The biggest part of these expenses would be fuel ($3300) and we don’t want to travel that hard as full timers. We will be looking for campsites with lower rates to offset the rest.  Is Thousand trails the only timeshare?? 

Anyway-Heres where my biggest problem is:  I have not calculated health insurance into this.  My current health plan expires Nov 30th and was employer provided .  This is all new to me.  

At best these are ballpark figures anyway. Nobody has the same lifestyle. I don't dine out now. I won't start while RVing. I don't go to movies. I pretty much do nothing and I don't see myself suddenly starting. A lot of this includes that old debate that I am sure you long time members have been through dozens of times about what you consider full time RVing. I follow several youtube channels and see how different people live, and only those that are extremely well appointed financially really do a lot of moving. Some of them are just flat out rich people and those I don't watch much because they go out with their 3 kids and go to expensive amusement parks and eat expensive meals, often spending more in that one day than I would spend in a month. This is why so much of my focus is on what I can do for television reception. I want my sports, I want my cop shows, etc.... Just put me on the last slab in an RV park where nobody will bother me and I will be happy. I once described my perfect home as one built into a notch carved into the side of  a mountain. As long as I have high speed internet and cable TV, and once a week a helicopter lowers to me a basket with the food I ordered, I'd be happy.  So in my case, gas, RV upkeep, lot rent at a place somewhere the weather is decent, 6-8 months at one place and somewhere else cooler in summer, the freedom to go for week long trips when I feel like, and as little driving as possible,  I should be fine. $1000 of "house" bills every month get replaced by the RV payment, however I settle my TV conundrum, and a lot more for fuel, I SHOULD do better than break even. WITH the freedom to go see stuff. I know I will not have the idyllic "nomad moving from town to town" thing a lot of people dream about (and I did too) but I will get to see more in the RV. 50-75 miles at a time.

Almost every reply mentions something similar to "every situation is different", and  that is absolutely correct.

One key to using other people's expense figures is to remember that you already have most of the numbers you need.  Many personal expenses stay the same, full time or in a stix and brix.  This includes things like: 

• debt
  • groceries
  • dining out
  • clothing
  • hair
  • medical and dental expenses
  • charitable giving
  • gifts
  • insurance (life, health, etc.)
  • entertainment
  • Cell/Internet/TV

The information you need from fulltimers is what they spend on this lifestyle specific expenses, but even with those numbers you need to be aware of their circumstances.  For instance if they are workcamping and never spending anything on their campsite, you need to take that into consideration.  Here are the expenses I include in my annual budget blog:

• campground fees
  • propane
  • RV maintenance
  • travel fuel
  • club memberships
  • etc.

So you take your own information, then find expense information from fulltimers who are doing more or less what you expect to do.  That will give you a ball park number to work with.  

Most of this post came from this article in our blog:   Tips on reading other people's budgets.