MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

Cherie is spot on with the ground plane. And remember, it does not have to ferrous metal (magnetic). Non-ferrous metal works as well, although a mag mount antenna is convenient on a ferrous ground plane :)

I do all of my ground planes on my RV at least a 12" circle. That way I can mount various antennas on them and get proper performance, And even antennas with "built in" ground planes can benefit from an external ground plane.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we had to go to Oregon to have some cabinet work done. While there we hired a recommended company to do our Winegard.....they also do for boats and rv's internet upgrades. He installed our Maximum SIgnal. We played around with it in various places in Oregon and had some good response with it and some bad.

From Mt Shasta to Susanville we had absolutely no service at all.

We traveled 44 and 89.....there were spots on 395 Reno that went flat also.

Not sure how I feel about it at the price that it cost. I hurried to get it so that I could use it the month we spent in Oregon but then we ran into the problem of figuring out how to wire it. So it never got installed. We didn't have a problem going to Junction City because we went through Sacramento, coming back we took a different route. But it was great that while they were running all brand new lines for our Winegard cause we moved the TV from being a head banger to a new storage cabinet with a drop tv in it and a new TV in bedroom, both got sound bars and we got a new in dash stereo, so alot of new wiring going on....they just ran the Max SIgnal wiring at the same time. They were going to attach the mag antenna permanently to the roof till my husband called Gord and he recommended not doing that. So they did a mag plate for it. Mounted the amplifier in the bedroom linen closet and then mounted the inside antenna in the kitchen just before you enter the hallway to the bathroom/bedroom...in the middle of the ceiling.

That was over a week ago and the light is still BLUE!

I hopefully will see the positive results when we start traveling beginning of March.

Now to find something to help boost the campground wifi, we are only about 10 spaces away from the antenna and the spaces are pretty close together.

But our signal during the day is acceptable but come evening when the ones living here come home from work and jump on....we either get super super slow or get dumped alot. Then I have to use my hot spot data.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Well we had to go to Oregon to have some cabinet work done. While there we hired a recommended company to do our Winegard.....they also do for boats and rv's internet upgrades. He installed our Maximum SIgnal. We played around with it in various places in Oregon and had some good response with it and some bad.

Not sure how I feel about it at the price that it cost. I hurried to get it so that I could use it the month we spent in Oregon but then we ran into the problem of figuring out how to wire it. So it never got installed. We didn't have a problem going to Junction City because we went through Sacramento, coming back we took a different route. But it was great that while they were running all brand new lines for our Winegard cause we moved the TV from being a head banger to a new storage cabinet with a drop tv in it and a new TV in bedroom, both got sound bars and we got a new in dash stereo, so alot of new wiring going on....they just ran the Max SIgnal wiring at the same time. They were going to attach the mag antenna permanently to the roof till my husband called Gord and he recommended not doing that. So they did a mag plate for it. Mounted the amplifier in the bedroom linen closet and then mounted the inside antenna in the kitchen just before you enter the hallway to the bathroom/bedroom...in the middle of the ceiling.

I hopefully will see the positive results when we start traveling beginning of March.

Now to find something to help boost the campground wifi, we are only about 10 spaces away from the antenna and the spaces are pretty close together.

But our signal during the day is acceptable but come evening when the ones living here come home from work and jump on....we either get super super slow or get dumped alot. Then I have to use my hot spot data.

What power adapter are you using ? I suspect the amplifier is not getting enough power. I say this because I have sold units to the state of Oregon Deptartment of Transportation. for vehicles and not gotten any such messages from then about about any dead zones . Please tell me if you were using the 12 volt or the 110 and I will arrange to send you a replacement.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

As someone who works for one of the companies that makes wifi amplifier/routers my reaction to your comment is that it sounds as if the park's wifi gets overloaded by users in the evening and lacks the bandwidth to provide adequate service to all of them. If that's the case, then nothing you can purchase will change that.

If you want to read about wifi repeaters and amplifiers I suggest you look at the Technomadia website; they provide unbiased evaluations of a number of systems. However, they also stress the importance of first figuring out if the problem you are experiencing is due to an overloaded park wifi, an issue no amplifier can fix.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I do recall one time where our Cradlepoint WiFi amplifier/repeater helped us out in a poor bandwidth campground. Without the Cradlepoint turned on, the only accessible WiFi was the parks own with limited bandwidth and a somewhat weak signal. With it on, we could also connect to the WiFi at the Arby's restaurant across the street with much better speeds available. The Arby's also provided us with some great sandwiches! Now, we just use our hotspots unless we're in one of the rare parks with exceptional WiFi service.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Which cell carrier are you using Victoria?

What power adapter are you using ? I suspect the amplifier is not getting enough power. I say this because I have sold units to the state of Oregon Deptartment of Transportation. for vehicles and not gotten any such messages from then about about any dead zones . Please tell me if you were using the 12 volt or the 110 and I will arrange to send you a replacement.

So sorry, they were having a Thanksgiving Celebration here and it was on my street in front of my coach so I was out more than in...

I guess it would be the 110, like a regular plug....we don't have any DC (cigarette lighter type plugs except at the dashboard.

Blessed Travels,

Gord if you do decide that we need a new power plug....and you still have our address in Las Vegas....it is the same address just instead of space #100 we are in space #133 now. Thank you for the help

Blessed Travels,

We have been using our Max Amp off and on for a few weeks now (some places had good signal so didn't turn it on) but we really can't tell if it's making a difference. It seems odd that the blue light stays lit all the time even if the antenna cables are not hooked up. I would think the light should not be on in that case.

Where we are right now we are getting just 90 dBm (shows as 1 or 2 bars on my iPhone) on Verizon 4G and turning the Max Amp on and off doesn't seem to create any fluctuation in the numbers and our internet is pretty slow downloading images. We just purchased the signal check pro app so we could try to figure out some of this, but are still not sure what to check for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

We have been using our Max Amp off and on for a few weeks now (some places had good signal so didn't turn it on) but we really can't tell if it's making a difference. It seems odd that the blue light stays lit all the time even if the antenna cables are not hooked up. I would think the light should not be on in that case.

Where we are right now we are getting just 90 dBm (shows as 1 or 2 bars on my iPhone) on Verizon 4G and turning the Max Amp on and off doesn't seem to create any fluctuation in the numbers and our internet is pretty slow downloading images. We just purchased the signal check pro app so we could try to figure out some of this, but are still not sure what to check for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vicki

Thanks,

Vicki

is -90 your 4G signaL .because that is a great 4G signal . 4g is measured in RRSP not RSSI. Different scale. The only way to tell is by downloading good apps to monitor. The really good ones for android are free. Mobile Signal and LTE discovery are the best for ease of use. Signal bars on a phone do not refresh at a fast enough rate to be accurate.The light is blue to show the amplifier is operating properly and not shut down because of oscillation. . The only keys are proper horizontal separation and the antennas being orientated properly as described in the quick start guide. Just call if you feel you are having an issue . We support our product in a timely matter and you do not get stuck on a phone tree or talking to someone off shore.

Keeping You Connected

Run speedtest to see if there is an impact. I have actually found situations where the amp actually makes the speed slower, even with lower dB numbers. First I try the hotspot close to the window, then in the electronics cabinet I usually keep everything in, and then finally with the amp on. Since I'm in an aluminum sided trailer, I usually get quite a bit of attenuation of signal inside the rig.....

is -90 your 4G signaL .because that is a great 4G signal . 4g is measured in RRSP not RSSI. Different scale. The only way to tell is by downloading good apps to monitor. The really good ones for android are free. Mobile Signal and LTE discovery are the best for ease of use. Signal bars on a phone do not refresh at a fast enough rate to be accurate.The light is blue to show the amplifier is operating properly and not shut down because of oscillation. . The only keys are proper horizontal separation and the antennas being orientated properly as described in the quick start guide. Just call if you feel you are having an issue . We support our product in a timely matter and you do not get stuck on a phone tree or talking to someone off shore.

We'll check out the other apps. The -90 was RSSI. Being new to all this, we really don't understand what we are looking for. Right now under LTE it's showing RSRP -121 with and without the Amp on. We have a 42' FW and have the mag mount antenna at the rear of the RV with the interior antenna and booster mid-front (kitchen, entry area) so plenty of separation. Will do some more checking and then may give a call. Watching Colts play right now!

Thanks for your reply.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

Run speedtest to see if there is an impact. I have actually found situations where the amp actually makes the speed slower, even with lower dB numbers. First I try the hotspot close to the window, then in the electronics cabinet I usually keep everything in, and then finally with the amp on. Since I'm in an aluminum sided trailer, I usually get quite a bit of attenuation of signal inside the rig.....

Good idea. We'll give that a try!

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

We'll check out the other apps. The -90 was RSSI. Being new to all this, we really don't understand what we are looking for. Right now under LTE it's showing RSRP -121 with and without the Amp on. We have a 42' FW and have the mag mount antenna at the rear of the RV with the interior antenna and booster mid-front (kitchen, entry area) so plenty of separation. Will do some more checking and then may give a call. Watching Colts play right now!

Thanks for your reply.

Vicki

Please give me a call on Monday and we will trouble shoot to make sure everything is operating properly.

Keeping You Connected

Howdy!

One thing I can attest to having purchased the Maximum Signal is that Gordon will give you great customer service. We had problems with ours when we purchased it not knowing if it was working correctly. Gordon talked me through it over the phone and also shipped me parts that could correct the problems we had quickly. Don't think others would give this great customer service especially seeing we are fulltimers and travel constantly.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Figured out Victoria's problem . 89 and 44 run right through the middle of a national forest . There is no cell tower for 50 miles. Checked it out on AT&T's site using their coverage map.

Keeping You Connected

Figured out Julie's problem . 89 and 44 run right through the middle of a national forest . There is no cell tower for 50 miles. Checked it out on AT&T's site using their coverage map.

Yep, the Max Amp does a great job of sniffing out lower level signals than most anything else, but there does need to be at least a little bit of signal to sniff! :D

Dutch

Figured out Julie's problem . 89 and 44 run right through the middle of a national forest . There is no cell tower for 50 miles. Checked it out on AT&T's site using their coverage map.

Gord, I think you meant Victoria. Anyway, that is why I asked her who their carrier is. But it turns out all the cell carriers have huge holes in their coverage on both those highways. can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...so to speak..

Gord, I think you meant Victoria. Anyway, that is why I asked her who their carrier is. But it turns out all the cell carriers have huge holes in their coverage on both those highways. can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...so to speak..

They don't like cell Tower's in national Forests I guess . They have ones that look like trees? Thanks for the Correction .

Keeping You Connected

They don't like cell Tower's in national Forests I guess . They have ones that look like trees? Thanks for the Correction .

Yep, the "Frankentrees" are so cleverly disguised you can't even tell which one is the tower! :D

K4BUI8Vl.jpg

Dutch

I think it's more like they don't like dealing with the federal government's bureaucratic nightmare regulations and fees for locating a tower. All the old mountain top towers are kind of grandfathered in. I haven't seen any new towers constructed on federal lands in my area for over 20 years.

You should see what a mess it is trying to get a permit for fiber optic cable to cross an interstate highway too. It's over 6 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured out Victoria's problem . 89 and 44 run right through the middle of a national forest . There is no cell tower for 50 miles. Checked it out on AT&T's site using their coverage map.

You were close Gord the first time when you said Julie.....it is Judi

Victoria Grace is the name of our motorhome and YES, it was no way the fault of the Max Amp.....the maps did show 89 and 44 are no where land areas....won't be traveling those roads when we have to head back to Oregon in March because we need an adjustment on our cabinetry install.

I have no problem traveling places that don't have internet but very uncomfortable traveling without phone, especially that long of a streak.

Thank you again Gord for the great CS....it is a great feeling knowing you have our backs when needed!

Just gotta figure out two things now....one, how to make my wireless printer, print wirelessly and two if

Mobile Solutions ATT unlimited netgear is as good as it sounds. Any helpers out there please?

Judi

Blessed Travels,

Thank you again Gord for the great CS....it is a great feeling knowing you have our backs when needed!

Just gotta figure out two things now....one, how to make my wireless printer, print wirelessly and two if

Mobile Solutions ATT unlimited netgear is as good as it sounds. Any helpers out there please?

Judi

I'll second the great CS from Gord, Judi!

I have Mobile Solution's AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE plan using a Netgear Unite hotspot. It works quite well, second only to our Verizon Jetpacks in our travels so far. Be advised though, Travis at Mobile Solutions can be very erratic about filling orders and communicating with his customers. He could take a lesson from Gord on how to provide a quality business experience.

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...
Got a professional stormchaser that owns a Weboost Drive X to do head to head testing. Needless to say we won hands down.

This with our car unit . The Rv unit gives you greater coverage form end to end of you RV . No standing next to or close to the antenna.

Keeping You Connected

Archived