Painting a 5th Wheel

We need to have our 5th wheel painted. Has anyone had this done? I was told there were a few in Indiana. We are looking at Phoenix Commercial Paint in MI.

Just wanted to see if there were others that we could contact. P.S. Going to Mexico is not an option.

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

Grab a couple of paint rollers and it shouldn't take that long! :P

I'd suggest that you visit some of the fiberglass boat repair shops as they can probably do it for you, if they have a paint booth that is large enough. In areas with a lot of RV dealers there should be a fiberglass shop that can do an RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We may be in that area about August, so let us know what you think of your paint job. Will be anxious to hear you opinion.

Carol

The Simpsons

We had ours painted 3 years ago by Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen, IN. Since then two of our friends have also had Jim's do a full body paint on their HitchHikers. After 3 years we remain very pleased with Mike's work and can highly recommend them. Let me know if you want more info.

http://www.mikescustompaintinginc.com/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

bobsallyh, we will be in Surprise above Phoenix for next winter. We know some places do this kind of work in AZ, such as RV Renovators. We spent time there for major repairs and are not completely satisfied. The reputation for this kind of work seems to be far better in IN than AZ. So since we are out East anyway, I think it sounds like IN is the place to start.

Carol

The Simpsons

Heartland uses Carrera Custom Designs We have experienced or heard of any issues with their work.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Painting a trailer is far more than just the paint. If your RV needs a paint job, there are probably a lot of other things that need to be replaced.

The company doing the paint job may or may not be observant of those things. Slides seals, the vinyl covering of the screws strips. the lights, etc.

Prices will vary because of the extent of the work being done. Be sure everything is included in the price.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We need to have our 5th wheel painted. Has anyone had this done? I was told there were a few in Indiana. We are looking at Phoenix Commercial Paint in MI.

Just wnated to see if there were others that we could contact. P.S. Going to Mexico is not an option.

Why not? I have heard you can get them done in Rocky point, which is pretty muich Phoenix beach.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

We had our 5th wheel painted at Precision Painting 730 High St Bremen IN 46506

2 years ago. It is a 2000 Travel Supreme and it now looks like a new one.
I took pictures ever day that is was being worked on. If you want to see the work that does into it
email me and I will send you a link to my pictures.
brose38@gmail.com
Hi Mark
are you there yet?

We had some repair work done by Mike's Custom Painting (mentioned above). We were very happy with the repair work they did. We did discuss with them a full paint job (still a few years away most likely). They showed us around the facilities and they are thorough. As Mark said, there will need to be other things replaced and cared for (covers, hardware, rusted screws, etc.) and these folks include those things and make sure they are included in the price. But as any consumer you need to make sure and ask the questions, do your homework and double check.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Hi Mark

are you there yet?

The trailer is in the body shop at the moment getting some fiberglass repair.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

We spent our winter getting a facelift on our toybox. Wife drew the design and picked the color scheme. Next the tractor !

couple of links below

Before and during :
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AYtGrhmzaM2JK

Finished and outdoors on a cloudy day back at the track : http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AYtGrhmzaM2Jb

The guy that did our trailer has worked for an International dealership in Cape Girardeau, Mo. for 17 years doing body and paint work on semis. trailers, and rvs. he just built a new 60 x 40 shop at home to do more side work. Very fair priced and conscientious, a great guy. Give him a call. Charlie, 573-275-6995. We actually stayed in our coach during the work.

" Life should Not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,

WOW what a Ride ! "

OMG what is the price tag on doing this?? I would think there is a lot of prep work before painting!

You are right it is the prep. I have seen $10,000 jobs that left the BooBoos that were still there, but covered over with a real nice coat of paint.

I was quoted $15,000 plus extras, new awning material and slide toppers. Where they took the panel off and put in a medal brace was extra, They painted the entire unit with the blue paint then when they sanded it a blue line or BooBoo was then repaired

You really get what you pay for.

In 2012 we paid $8500 for the standard 3 color full body paint, this included some minor body work during the prep. A friend who had his painted earlier this year paid about $11K for the now standard 4 color paint job. The 5W's are 37' long. The slide sides and many other things were also painted. If you are happy with your RV, plan to keep it and maintain it then investing in it is better (to me) than purchasing a new one. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

If you are near Shreveport, just across the river in Bossier City is RV Collision and Repair. They charge a fair, not RV inflated price and have all the latest tech paint gear and very experienced techs. I use them and the diesel repair shop on the same lot, which is his dad's biz, Scott. Their work is as good as it gets. Everyone uses them in this area. Highly recommend. http://bossierrvcollisionrepair.com/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Rambling Roses, yes, and I did and sent you a thank you email. So thanks very much again. We are in contact with Precision Paint as I write this.

Carol

The Simpsons

If you are near Shreveport, just across the river in Bossier City is RV Collision and Repair

They probably have the mechanics of doing a good paint job, but what about the graphics artist to do the design work?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

There are several different ways to negotiate a paint job, The painter I used is very fair priced. I personally negotiated a deal where he quoted me all labor and I agreed to pay for materials directly. There are several levels of pricing in materials (single stage, metallic single stage, cheap paint, high end ,on and on and on) I personally opted to spend more on the materials to ensure good color and long life. I used base coat/clear Dupont minimum of 3 or more coats of each color and the clear. I also went with the best UV protectant clear coat for long color life. All that said, I still haven't added it all up but figure I'm probably only in the $12ish to $14,000. range all inclusive.

If you look at the photo link you will see they had to remove our original factory paint all the way down to bare metal. This meant days of scraping with razor blades ! So our trailer was terribly time consuming on the prep work which is the most important part of a "quality " paint finish . if your coach is just a "scuff and shoot" with a good original base to start with it should cost you considerably less on the labor end.

" Life should Not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,

WOW what a Ride ! "

Archived