Texas trailer inspections

dascom

OK, here is where we are at the moment:

Tried again today to register our Teton, after having it inspected yesterday, but not able to get it done last night. Still won't acknowledge that the inspection was done and won't let me complete the registration process.

Called the State office and they verified that indeed my inspection was done yesterday (and it passed) and that the system is set up to notify LEOs and others who are searching for the inspection, once the inspection station uploads into the system. Which happens at the same time they are printing out your form, so no problem from the inspection station side of things. (although that has already been blamed)

Called Polk County and they explained it must be a problem somewhere else because they can't do anything on their end.

Called the State back and talked with the same guy and he tried to go online to register our Teton and received the same info.

So my inspection is in the State System yet Polk County is not able to "see" it and therefore requires me to come into the office personally (not going to happen), or mail it into them and hope it gets back to me before I leave the area (I've dealt with this before and missed it).

The State guy and I discussed just registering it by claiming I'm out of State at the moment. Similar to what Robert did, but he was actually "out of State" (I believe). He and I talked about it a little longer and we agreed that probably would not be the thing to do. (OK, maybe I'm a little too straight laced, but only because I wasn't for so long in my past!)

So, I can just wait until I'm out of State and get the vehicles registered at that time, or claim I'm out of State right now and maybe have the stickers before I leave. The County gal stated that I would have a record on my account (not sure if she meant vehicle acct. or DL) that would alert LEOs that my vehicle hasn't been inspected, and I would have 3 days to get it done upon re-entering the State. Obviously, I would indeed have the paper copy of the inspection, if in fact a LEO would be asking for it when he pulls me over (hasn't happened yet, and may not for a long time in the future). So all I'm doing is using a "workaround" for the system that is not working right now, in order to meet the requirement of fulfilling the State's requirement in order for me to stay within the law.

OK, I'm tired and will try this one more time, online, but am wondering who else has had this problem in the first 12 days of the new system?

btw, this stuff was mentioned in the last Escapees magazine, but doesn't take care of my needs right now.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whew, HeroMaker........what forbearance (sp?) you have.....

At Boeing way too many engineers would work night and day to "rework" and / or "improve" everything......the low-life pilots would gripe about the code:

"I B U" (Code= Improved Beyond Use)......

Forbearance .....folks, some times the "fix" for I B U...... sometimes turn into ........W M I B U (Code= Way More Improved Beyond Use)

So the "fix" is in "rework" to become the new......"fix"......stay tuned.......smile.......

Safe travels,

Cheerz,

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well we just about done with all of our work to become Texans and so far the process has been rather smooth. Starting with setting up our mail service, that took all of 10 minutes at Escapees Rainbow Park in Livingston. Our next step was securing insurance in Texas for our 4 vehicles. That was a little more cumbersome but in the end we feel that with our truck and trailer insured with National Interstate and our M/C's insured thru Progressive along with an umbrella liability policy we are covered. Once this was in place we took our vehicles to Soda Service Center in Soda, Texas about 9 miles from Escapees on Rt. 190 where they did the inspections in about 20 minutes. We then went down to the Polk County Tax office and registered all the vehicles and registered to vote in all about another 20 minutes.

With all this in hand we finally took the written drivers test for the non commercial class A license at the Polk County DPS/ DL office and passed. Please note that all your are required to do is study Chapter 14 of the CDL drivers manual for the state and that will get you passed. You need 14 out of 20 correct to pass on the multiple choice test.

Our road tests are next week and after that wer'all set!

Note that with the inspections the folks at Polk County told us that since we are full timers and are out of the state most of the year, when we renew there will be a spot online to self certify your status and a note will be put on your file that your registration is renewed and that when you re-enter the state you will have 72 hours to get the inspection done. Once done the papers will serve as documentation until it shows up in the system which could take up to 48 hours.

You can also renew the registrations and inspections up to 90 days prior to the due date if they are both due in the same month, we will probably take care of that next January after we are done with Amazon in Haslet, Texas before we head out to AZ.

Please note that if you are just transferring your titles and registration from another state you do not need to get your vehicles weighed if the weight is on the original title and also there is a one time $90 per vehicle fee in lieu of state sales tax on top of the registrations and titles.

The whole process was painless and the folks at Polk County get it and do help a lot.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Quickly joined to give another option for those that move your trailer only once a year or less and stay in Texas where you don't qualify for self certification. Did you know you can buy get a one-trip permit from the DMV and not waste money on annual registration? A One-Trip Permit is exempt from displaying a current Texas Safety Inspection and its cheap!

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/temporary-permits

Just a followup here - I had the Volvo re-registered online, as with another work truck for the ministry, without a problem with the online state inspection system.

Tried one more time to do it for the Teton, and again it let me know that the inspection had not be done (which it already had). So the Teton took an imaginary trip out of state and the registration was completed! I don't see that I did anything wrong (except claim that the Teton was no longer in state), but this work-around was done knowing that I had met the new requirements with inspection in hand, and it will be with me on the road should I ever get stopped. Letting many people know at the state and county level didn't get the problem fixed, so I feel that the system is guilty of not functioning properly, and others are at fault for not getting it fixed.

I will have my tags before the expiration date and will have met the demand of the new law, just not in the manner that someone supposedly thought out, and or couldn't handle the fix.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I got my Volvo paperwork through the state website and did the exemption online - as I reported above. I got my sticker and paperwork in my recent mailing. So my Volvo now has a new sticker on it. And I took off the expired inspection sticker.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Quickly joined to give another option for those that move your trailer only once a year or less and stay in Texas where you don't qualify for self certification. Did you know you can buy get a one-trip permit from the DMV and not waste money on annual registration? A One-Trip Permit is exempt from displaying a current Texas Safety Inspection and its cheap!

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/temporary-permits

How does this work? I return my license tags (plates) to the state (won't be able to renew them in April without an inspection) then, when it's time to move it home next March 2016, I pay $5 for a One-Day Tag and move it home?

Am I reading that correctly?

Of course, I'll have to check with my RV insurance career (Good Sam) to make sure that it's OK if I turn my tags (plates) in....

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

TxCowboy, it's not clear to me, based on that web page, whether that works for a towable RV or not. It specifically mentions park model trailers as being eligible, but other towable RVs aren't listed either as being eligible or prohibited.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

TxCowboy, it's not clear to me, based on that web page, whether that works for a towable RV or not. It specifically mentions park model trailers as being eligible, but other towable RVs aren't listed either as being eligible or prohibited.

Phil, I was wondering the same thing. The park model is mentioned under "Eligible Uses" but not excluded under the "One-Trip Permits may not be issued for".

The longer 30-Day Permit isn't any clearer on the topic. From that tab:

Eligible Use

The permit is available for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, private buses, trailers, and semitrailers with a gross weight not exceeding 10,000 lbs., and for light commercial vehicles not exceeding a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. A commercial vehicle exceeding a gross weight of 10,000 lbs. is eligible for the permit if operating unladen. (I added the boldface.)

So, if not the 1 day permit (which lasts 15 days), maybe the 30 day permit would work? Not sure that makes sense but, hey, I'm no expert.

As if all that isn't enough fun, both the 1 day and 30 day permits require no insurance on the trailer -- assuming that the term "trailer" applies to 5th wheels and TTs.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

TxCowboy, it is a 1 "trip" permit, not a 1 "day" permit, and insurance is.not required for any trailer, trailers are covered by the tow vehicles insurance.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

TxCowboy, it is a 1 "trip" permit, not a 1 "day" permit, and insurance is.not required for any trailer, trailers are covered by the tow vehicles insurance.

Correct. Thanks for catching that. It is a one trip permit that is valid for 15 days from the effective date.

And my RV has its own insurance..

Sorry this topic is in the HDT forum as it applies to TT and FW as well. My RV is a FW hence my concern.

Thanks again.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Just playing Devil's advocate here, since I do not know the answer, but it says "unladen vehicle". It specifically says that a single trip permit can NOT be used for a boat trailer carrying a boat, or a laden utility or luggage trailer. So if you can not used it on a luggage trailer to haul your personal property, is an RV carrying personal property considered "laden"?

As if all that isn't enough fun, both the 1 day and 30 day permits require no insurance on the trailer -- assuming that the term "trailer" applies to 5th wheels and TTs.

And TxCowboy, I too have separate insurance on my trailer but I probably didn't say it right. My point was that insurance is it is not 'required" on a trailer to obtain registration.

2014 smart Fortwo

Just playing Devil's advocate here, since I do not know the answer, but it says "unladen vehicle". It specifically says that a single trip permit can NOT be used for a boat trailer carrying a boat, or a laden utility or luggage trailer. So if you can not used it on a luggage trailer to haul your personal property, is an RV carrying personal property considered "laden"?

Good question. The only scenario that comes to my mind is this: I have a 5K trailer that isn't registered (has no license plate). I can buy a 1 Trip permit and move that trailer anywhere in Texas within the 15 day period as long as that trailer is EMPTY.

Again, the fun part of the 1 Trip scenario is that a permitted use is a Park Model defined as "a house trailer-type vehicle that is 400 square feet or less measured at the largest horizontal projections".

Wouldn't a FW or TT also seem to fit this description?

And, not to insult my friends in uniform, but how many police and State Troopers know the difference between a Park Model and a regular TT?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

I can buy a 1 Trip permit and move that trailer anywhere in Texas within the 15 day period as long as that trailer is EMPTY.

That single trip permit will include origination and destination. Anything not along the path from one to the other will void that permit.

And, not to insult my friends in uniform, but how many police and State Troopers know the difference between a Park Model and a regular TT?
I do, and it only takes one to catch you. :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Wow, you get to tell the state where you are and where you're going? Who would have thought of that? LOL

And I'm not worried about the local police or DPS trying to figure out if my FW is or is not a park model.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Me either, I have an inspection and real license plates....I'm betting you do too LOL

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived