Texas trailer inspections

dascom

How does that work when you buy the registration paid up for 5 or 10 years at a time like I do and the BMV sells in many/most states.

They going to revoke the tag if some inspection certificate is not sent in on time each year. They probably can and will if

the software can be developed to ask the right questions. I can tell you from experience that they will jerk your CDL priviliges

in the national database on the day your medical is up even if your license has years left on it..But that is a different thread.

DT, I couldn't agree more about inspection quality, but in most, whether mechanical or medical, there is no way to prove

things were not 100% at the moment the signature was applied. Just tell the judge things must have gone to shit when they drove away.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does that work when you buy the registration paid up for 5 or 10 years at a time like I do and the BMV sells in many/most states.

I don't believe that in the time since I moved here that Texas has ever offered the option of purchasing more than three years of registration at a time. It's my understanding that multi-year registrations have been eliminated effective with the implementation of the new "One Sticker" program.

Presumably, the only "multi-year" item still on the books is the two year inspection period for brand new vehicles being inspected for the first time. The first registration renewal doesn't require a re-inspection.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

That's interesting Phil, Ohio has been moving the other way.

We just moved from 3 year to 5 year registrations on vehicles.

I know some states offer lifetime registration of trailers.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

Isn't it amazing how diverse the states act upon an issue like this. The truth lies somewhere, I just don't know where. The permanent plates on trailers came about for a simple practical reason, most semi trailers never see the address that is on the registration from new, much less once a year to renew the plate. A company like Schneider with 50,000+ trailers loses dozens of them every year, can you imagine trying to get a little sticker put on each trailer every 12 months? I can remember being in the northAmerican Van Lines fleet in the late 1970's when Indiana had 1 year plates. It was a major proposition to get them current, and there were only about 10,000 trailers involved.

All of the larger trucking companies have a legal presence in all 48 states. They just pick out the state that gives them the best cheapest deal and thats where the revenue goes. Maine has been a popular one for years because of the permanent plate thing, millions of trailers have Maine plates that will never see New England, much less Maine. Texas should take note.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff, since I don't normally deal with non commercial trailers, are those permanent tags available for both commercial AND noncommercial trailers? Texas has permanent TOKEN trailer tags, just not permanent travel trailer tags.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Here is the Ohio fee. The way I have experienced things here, campers and 5ers are reg as house vehicles, so 5 years at a time max.

What is the cost of a multi-year or permanent registration?

The 2-7 years multi-year registration fee example:

Fee Cost / Years Total Commercial Trailer License Fee $25.00 x 3 years $75.00 License Tax (HB 87) $11.00 x 3 years $33.00 Permissive Tax* $0 - $20.00 x years $0 - $60.00 Postage $1.80 Reflector $0.25 Deputy Registrar Fee $3.50 Total Fees: $113.55 -$175.55

(*varies by county)

The permanent registration fee example:

Total Fees: $113.55 -$175.55 Fee Cost / Years Total Commercial Trailer License Fee $25.00 x 8 years $200.00 License Tax (HB 87) $11.00 x 8 years $88.00 Permissive Tax* $0 - $20.00 x years $0 - $160.00 Postage $1.80 Reflector $0.25 Deputy Registrar Fee $3.50 Total Fees: $293.55 -$453.55

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

We have some perm tagged trailers in Oregon that must be towed by com plated rigs.

In Az we have some perm tagged trailers that can be towed by a pvt or com tagged rig........

Don't get caught towing perm tagged trailer in OR with priv plated rig....... the ticket gets ugly fast......( a unknowing employee NOW knows....)!

Maine or Texas or Az or OR or.........are we confuzed yet???

Didn't Winston Churchill mutter something on the order of......... "The yanks will try everthing....... before they try the right thing"........

Maybe Texas is right and Maine is wrong ......or Maine is right and Texas is wrong......guess it depends if you have a trailer or two or 50,000

or........if you are a trailer inspector.....I guess it depends on your position in the puzzle.........

Cheers

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Not that it makes any sense, but my permanent plate on a 41' grain trailer runs about $16/yr in Indiana, while my 5er cost 3 times that, and single axle open utility trailer runs in the mid $20s.

My p/u is about 15% as much in Ohio as if it were in Indiana. Fortunately, our operation straddles the state line, and we have locations with vehicle housing in each.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Jeff, since I don't normally deal with non commercial trailers, are those permanent tags available for both commercial AND noncommercial trailers? Texas has permanent TOKEN trailer tags, just not permanent travel trailer tags.

In the situation that I'm most familiar with, my former home state of Pennsylvania doesn't distinguish between commercial and non-commercial trailers. Had I intended to remain a resident, I could have registered my Teton permanently for five times the annual rate, or $135.

Dollytrolley, the permanent Token Trailer registration that Big5er mentioned is similar to Oregon's permanent trailer registration -- the trailer can only be pulled by a tractor registered with a Combination plate, which would mean that it's a commercial tractor registered for the weight of the combination.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Not that it makes any sense, but my permanent plate on a 41' grain trailer runs about $16/yr in Indiana, while my 5er cost 3 times that, and single axle open utility trailer runs in the mid $20s.

That is because, as Phil D said, that grain hauler is a "token" registration that can only be pulled by an apportioned or a combination registered tractor. The tractor is paying for all the weight (truck and trailer combined) by being registered for 80,000 lbs which we know is the total max weight for the whole rig, not just the tractor. Your 5er costs more because it is paying the road tax for itself and being pulled by a truck that has been registered only for its own weight and not the trailer also.

Like it was mentioned before, don't get caught pulling a "token" trailer with a regular truck (as opposed to apportioned/combination). That is a big no-no.

2014 smart Fortwo

I do not have an issue with getting the truck or trailer safety inspected on a yearly basis. We lived in Oklahoma for a few years and they do not have a safety inspection program and we saw many cars with bad tires, smoking exhaust, broken lights and broken windshields. Some were safety hazards and needed to be off the roads or fixed.

We have laws and regulations for the minority of the people because thay cannot do what is right unless they are forced to comply by law.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Well, I just received the notice that the registration for our Teton is due. Signed into the TX website to renew, like I have always done, and low and behold, couldn't go any further with the process because they have no current record of the vehicle inspection. So now on my way over to our friendly inspection guy to have him come out (like he has done before) and inspect all our vehicles.

Obviously the states system is up and running, so we will all have to tow the line. Unless you are going to forgo renewing the tags on your trailer! I don't suggest that unless yours is setting in a park full time or is on private land somewhere.

Yes, I could have said that I was out of state at the moment, but those who know me know that I will state the truth. Thankfully, I have the time today to get it done.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rocky, you are a rare breed. I hope you are all healed up and feeling better. I am thankful that people like you are around to put things into perspective and remind me of the things that are truly important in life. Reading your post made me realize just hope minor this inspection thing is on the big scale.

Please tell your boss that I said "hi" and put in a good word for me. Put in a good word for Marv too.

2014 smart Fortwo

Well, I just received the notice that the registration for our Teton is due. Signed into the TX website to renew, like I have always done, and low and behold, couldn't go any further with the process because they have no current record of the vehicle inspection. So now on my way over to our friendly inspection guy to have him come out (like he has done before) and inspect all our vehicles.

Rocky, can you give us some idea what your friendly inspection guy charged you for the site visit and inspection?

I'm interested because having someone come out and do a site visit is about the only way I'm going to get an inspection completed.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Rocky, you are a rare breed. I hope you are all healed up and feeling better. I am thankful that people like you are around to put things into perspective and remind me of the things that are truly important in life. Reading your post made me realize just hope minor this inspection thing is on the big scale.

Please tell your boss that I said "hi" and put in a good word for me. Put in a good word for Marv too.

It is pretty minor in the total scope of things. Getting to be a little problem with 3 ministry trucks plus the 770 and Teton, and don't forget the smart!

Hey bro, you're always remembered and talked about when I chat with the boss. Marv's been added to the list also. Would love to be able to help him out with the driving thing, but due in 2 locations in early April (OK and KS), or I'd be at the ECR.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Got the truck inspected in Feb. We will be in Colorado when the plates are due. Have to see how that works. :rolleyes:

Newt

The first question when you go online is, "Are you out of State?"

Shouldn't be a problem for you depending on when you are due.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Rocky, can you give us some idea what your friendly inspection guy charged you for the site visit and inspection?

I'm interested because having someone come out and do a site visit is about the only way I'm going to get an inspection completed.

He is going to be out tomorrow (if it doesn't rain). Will let you know.

btw, they aren't allowed to do the inspection if it rains!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Rocky,

You've been promising to come to the ECR for a couple of years. Gonna hold you to it- someday. Stay well.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, one of these days I will actually show up. But major conflict with that date for now.

Here is the low down on the Inspection Process:

The Fee that the inspector is allowed to charge is $7.00 per vehicle. You will pay the rest when you pay your registration fee. He can not charge you anymore than that by law. That probably takes the mobile inspector idea off the table. And will possibly make it harder to encourage an inspector to come to your park to take a look at your trailer and truck. Mine did show me favor and came out to inspect all vehicles. They all passed and then I drove to his shop to pay his bill and get all the inspection copies for all vehicles. It is a good idea to keep that paperwork in your vehicle. His assistant entered all the data into the system and printed copies for me.

I just tried to go online and complete my registration for the Teton. It again asked if it was in state or out of state. I checked out of state, and then it let me know that they don't have a record of inspection. So I guess being online doesn't mean on time!

Will try again tomorrow. Trying to get this done soon so I can have stickers before I leave here by end of month. Will let you know.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

I glad to report the politicians did get the fix in as Big5er & Escapee's said they would....

I completed the out of state registration on my trailer without a hitch - even though it has never crossed the Texas state line! Got the letter in the mail that says you have to come get inspected but the self-certification is up and running for those of us spending winter playing in the ice and snow and freezing rain and sleet and why am I not in TX?!

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

I glad to report the politicians did get the fix in as Big5er & Escapee's said they would....

Great news!

Just in case it didn't get fixed and I end up out of state later this year, I arranged for my current inspections on all three vehicles and the Teton to expire the month after the respective registrations so that I'd not have a problem next November and January, had the "fix" not been implemented in time. It's good to know that they came through as promised.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

ET Air Hitch

One question I have not seen an answer for is what provisions have been made for trailers that do not move. There are many trailers that sit in an RV park year after year without ever being moved. While an exemption is described for those who are out of state, I see nothing to deal with this circumstance, or those who just sit in one place for several months at a time. If I have to hook up and tow my trailer (assuming I have a vehicle with which to tow it), it is going to cost a lot more than the $7 just to get it there. And, since inspection stations are only permitted to charge $7 for the inspection, I doubt many folks would be willing to provide such a mobile service without charging a trip charge as well (assuming the state would even license them to do so).

While I understand the intent of the law, and completely agree that an inspection program will force some unsafe trailers to be repaired at least once a year, for the vast majority of us this is nothing but a pain in the ***. All the items inspected on a trailer are things that most of us check EVERY TIME WE HOOK UP, and I'd venture that far more defective braking systems and inoperative lights are due to the driver failing to connect the umbilical cord than will ever be discovered and corrected by this inspection program. But, it is what it is.

The reality is that almost every study of vehicle safety has failed to show any improvements in states that require inspections compared with states that don't. This whole thing is a waste of taxpayer money and time. Pretty big deal of over regulation.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

We had a station to inspect our camper last year and he didn't even want to see it. He stated we that full time take better care of our units and will not tow if anything don't work. This week he wanted the unit. Didn't inquire what changed but I suspect they have tightened down on them.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived