When do you REALLY own something?

NoDirectionHome

Technically NEVER because even when you die the tax man will get his share first before any one gets the rest.

Two comments: Probably the farmer should not be under the hood. This will pass as some mechanic will break the code so independent mechanics can work on tractors. John Deere has been trying to get to a point of only dealer ships could repair there equipment.

I hope this comment is not too political but this is why this election is soooo important.If we want less government involvement in our lives there is only one person to vote for.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Actually it is the same argument shops had with automakers. The manufactures do provide service info to shops and individuals, it just isn't free. Any big ag operation should be able to pay for a factory laptop if they are serious about doing their own work. Any reasonably busy independent shop should be able to justify a laptop as well. Yes it cost money but, it is a cost of doing business.

We are all just caretakers of stuff anyways, somebody else will have it when we are gone.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

The DMCA is very unforgiving, anyone attempting to open the system or using the information they obtained would be guilty of a felony.

Many things are covered by the DMCA or similar laws making it a crime to even discuss technical detils of opening something. The latest round of rules is making even previously legal computer security testing a questionable activity.

Erring on the side of caution on this I just treat the stuff as disposable black boxes, avoiding them when possible and not even peeking inside if I must use one. I worked too hard for my retirement to see some well-fed federal lawyer take all or most of it because I stepped over an ever-changing line that I might not even have been aware of.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It's not as simple as a laptop. A user can't buy the software.

Interesting that the tractor shown in the article is a late 70's vintage. No electronics on the drive line.

My newest tractor is a 2002 Deere. Electronics everywhere.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I hope this comment is not too political but this is why this election is soooo important.If we want less government involvement in our lives there is only one person to vote for.

"I hope this comment is not too political......"

By your own statement it *IS* political - which encourages (more) "not too political" discourse!

Bad karma.

Well, as I hop into my 1951 Studebaker and go to a cruise night, I could park next to a 2016 Corvette which is loaded to the gills with electronics. I wonder what that car will be like to restore/drive or whatever in the year 2080.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived