Mixed tire types

cadonnelly

Disclaimer:  Had 3 surgeries on my brain in 2008, so some things are a bit foggy:mellow: at times.  When I was complaining back in the 03 and 04 time frame about a lack of traction with my tandem axles and later with my single axle someone suggested I put an aggressive tread on one of the dual tires and that would help.  Is this statement a figment of my imagination or does tires with mixed media really work to help traction.  Thanks,   I did search but could not find anything appropriate.

Chuck Stillwater Mn

I suppose that as long as the tires are the same rolling circumference, it'd be okay, but the difference in traction would be minimal.  Open shoulder will usually be better than closed, a bit noisier perhaps.  I certainly wouldn't take off good tires to try it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Lack of traction is usually a weight issue.  Having 8 tires carrying the load puts fewer pounds per square inch of pressure on the contact patch of each tire.  Dropping to 4 tires will increase the load on the tire contact patch, theoretically increasing traction.  

Having the lug style tires do help.  

I put all position, closed shoulder tires on the back of ours, and haven't had an issue yet.  But I try really hard not to park on grass or wet earth if I can help it. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I was always taught that it was bad to mix a used tire and a new tire size since they would wear unevenly because of the minor difference in size. Wouldn't mixing tread types have the same issue with uneven wear?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I was always taught that it was bad to mix a used tire and a new tire size since they would wear unevenly because of the minor difference in size. Wouldn't mixing tread types have the same issue with uneven wear?

I agree with Phil, it doesn't sound like a real good idea.  Was that a used tire salesman that came up with the advice?:o

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Jim:  The bed was done in Saulk Rapids Mn by a converter who did well on that truck, but the second one he totally messed up.  I asked around about who made the best equipment for the EE works, and ample power was mentioned the most.  I found an installer in Coos Bay Oregon, told him what I wanted and he did the installation of the gen set, batteries, inverter, voltage regulator, smart charger et al.  It was a long nightmarish procedure, with me making several trips to Oregon to pick up the truck to find out it wasn't done.  At the shop next door to the installer was  a paint shop, where the man in charge painted incredible flames, some of them were shadow flames and way cool.  I asked him if he wanted to paint flames on my truck and he jumped at the chance.  He charged me $250 and told me not to tell anyone as he spent a lot more time on the job than he anticipated, but it was the only good experience I had in Coos Bay.  I am going to look in some files as I do my taxes to see if I have any records dating back to that time at all.

It makes some sense to me.  Up here they sell car tires that the tread is half all season and half winter, and from what I understand the performance is neither stellar summer or winter but adequate for most.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived