How To Build Ramp System For Jeep On Deck

Cotreker

Moving onto my next project which is to build a ramp system for loading a 2-Door Jeep onto the deck of my Volvo.  Pretty much starting off with a clean deck with the TSLB installed.  Who can share ideas, plans, material list.  I can weld the materials together and then bolt to my frame rails and to existing parts of my truck.  Buy or build Jeep ramps?  How long?  Will cut off my storage box in order to make more room for the Jeep 13' length.  Planning to have Jeep 50" away from King Pin or as needed.  Have seen Jack M. ramp system really nice and can not do so I my truck, most likely will store ramps next to the Jeep.  Let the ideas begin and pictures of your Jeep systems are most welcomed.  Will need a welding magnet to mount my camera on; where to purchase?

FyiXrk1l.jpeg826KpQCl.jpeg

jr1ZzYEl.jpeg

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Because it’s a Jeep with low range, I bought 10 foot ramps and made two channels under the Jeep to store them. Ramps need not be long in four wheel drive low range.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 4/30/2024 at 5:40 PM, Cotreker said:

Moving onto my next project which is to build a ramp system for loading a 2-Door Jeep onto the deck of my Volvo.  Pretty much starting off with a clean deck with the TSLB installed.  Who can share ideas, plans, material list.  I can weld the materials together and then bolt to my frame rails and to existing parts of my truck.  Buy or build Jeep ramps?  How long?  Will cut off my storage box in order to make more room for the Jeep 13' length.  Planning to have Jeep 50" away from King Pin or as needed.  Have seen Jack M. ramp system really nice and can not do so I my truck, most likely will store ramps next to the Jeep.  Let the ideas begin and pictures of your Jeep systems are most welcomed.  Will need a welding magnet to mount my camera on; where to purchase?

FyiXrk1l.jpeg826KpQCl.jpeg

jr1ZzYEl.jpeg

Do you remember seeing Steve's rig at the HDT Rally? He has a older 2 door jeep on a bit of a ramp, as others here have also done. I missed seeing him winch it up after the rally, but saw him tie some things down after it was up there. Here is a link to his FB group, you might see photos there. 

Rod

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163040000390459/user/1083517645/

Edited by lappir
Removed potential link error.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

11 hours ago, Cotreker said:

I remember Steve’s rig wish I had more pictures. Thanks

Yea, I looked on my limited access and didn't find anything. I will keep looking though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

My ramps were about 15' long.  As mentioned the short ramps will work fine with a Jeep.  I would also put the Jeep 4L in 1st gear and the Jeep would idle up the ramps with my foot off the clutch with no problems.  The advantage to the longer ramps is I could carry other vehicles (without 5th wheel connected) on the back of the truck when needed and those vehicles did not have to have the same ground clearance of the Jeep.

Unloading Jeep

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I just noticed this subject being posted.

I built our bed back 2006. It did require some thinking. But it has worked great through the years. With the jeep up on ramps, it provides a lot of storage area underneath.

I have been busy with other stuff, so not looking at the forums like I use to.

If you want I can search back through my photo s and see what I have. I do not drive my jeep up the ramps. I use a winch on the front of the jeep. Just in case there is a miscue happening.

Hi Wrknrvr, I think 10’ ramps would work for me have found a few for sell on FB for far less than I could make them and faster.  Please dig up build pictures.  Lots of thinking is going to have to happen for this project for sure.

For others following this topic send pictures, thanks very much.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

13 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Hi Wrknrvr, I think 10’ ramps would work for me have found a few for sell on FB for far less than I could make them and faster.  Please dig up build pictures.  Lots of thinking is going to have to happen for this project for sure.

For others following this topic send pictures, thanks very much.

Was hoping Vern would chime in. I couldn't find a photo of his rig either, but knew in my mind what it looked like. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I had to get ready for trip tomorrow. Not taking the truck.   I will see what I can find.

If you look at the picture on the left, you can see how the Jeeps tucks up towards the rear of the cab. Also you can see the rear axle of the jeep, compared to the axles on the truck.

Will see if I can find some existing pictures, as that shows in detail how I designed and built the bed.

1 minute ago, Wrknrvr said:

I had to get ready for trip tomorrow. Not taking the truck.   I will see what I can find.

If you look at the picture on the left, you can see how the Jeeps tucks up towards the rear of the cab. Also you can see the rear axle of the jeep, compared to the axles on the truck.

Will see if I can find some existing pictures, as that shows in detail how I designed and built the bed.

More interested how you built the back of the truck bed.  Meaning how are ramps attached, length, ramps must be made of steel to handle weight.

thanks.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

So this shows the hitch extension. Also I have 2x5 “ box tubing that makes a platform to haul the ramps and other stuff.   They push in and bolt tight with one 3/4” bolt.

This photo is from 2019. I think the bed is 12’ long. It is 16” longer than the frame. That gives room for full storage area across the rear of the bed.

I searched history and found this photo. I will find the date.

Unfortunately we need to leave shortly for a few days adventure to eastern Montana. I will search back in the forum history to see if I can find more pictures.

I would say if you search in history for Wrknrvr jeep bed build or something similar,  it should provide detailed pictures. I know I had posted them on this forum for someone else.

trying to help