Full time but still own property. Good or Bad?

How many still own property?   

22 members have voted

1. 1. How many still own property?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wish I did.
    • Glad I don't.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/25/2024 at 06:50 PM

20 hours ago, lappir said:

I too was part of the generation of 14-16-18 and maybe even 20% interest rates of the 70's and 80's. It was not fun

I, however, lucked out. I bought a five-year Certificate of Deposit just before the rates dropped. The bank I bought it from was not happy with me since they had to pay that 20% for all five years.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

I, however, lucked out. I bought a five-year Certificate of Deposit just before the rates dropped. The bank I bought it from was not happy with me since they had to pay that 20% for all five years.

That was a good one. Congrats. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 4/12/2024 at 5:05 PM, lappir said:

I thought I'd never stop working. But that seems to have changed. I finished my last Travel Contract in February 2023 and haven't taken a Nursing paycheck since. Planned to over the winter, but things didn't work out as I expected and I'm sort of glad. 

The past year I've been able to survive on the SS monthly payment and have dipped into one of my retirement accounts for a little extra, but the advisor assures me it won't cause me to go "Broke". 

I've spent the past few winters in the lower Midwest and  have enjoyed some cold and snowy weather without the deep freezes of the Midwest where I grew up and am thinking about purchasing a spot to park during the winter months October to May and they I will head to the cooler weather locations during the Summer. If I can finally get the job I've been waiting to interview for in this location, the decision would be made. Since it's still not certain, I'm wondering if I should proceed in the acquisition of one of the two plots I have looked at. I know I will be here again next winter and the spot I have stayed at is in a good location, but it's also near an ambulance service that uses their sirens every single time they go on a call. 

So I'm asking. Is real estate really the best investment? 

Rod

I have this one place I got about a few years ago. But since I only visit it 3-4 times a year, it's gradually deteriorating. It would take quite a bit of effort and money to get everything back in shape. A few times, neighbors mentioned someone was interested in buying it, so I'm thinking maybe I'll just sell it altogether.

9 minutes ago, Gwytolla said:

I have this one place I got about a few years ago. But since I only visit it 3-4 times a year, it's gradually deteriorating. It would take quite a bit of effort and money to get everything back in shape. A few times, neighbors mentioned someone was interested in buying it, so I'm thinking maybe I'll just sell it altogether.

If I purchase something it will be mostly "Wild Land" requiring little upkeep. If there is a building or home on the property it would be rented out with the "Renter" responsible for keeping up the property for a very reasonable rental rate. The "City, County or State" would have to allow me to park my 'Home On Wheels' and live on the property as often and for how ever long I would decide. So far that's what's blocking me in my current area and the properties I have had interest in. 

Not sure if the interest I had over this past winter will come back again when I finish my Summer travels or not.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, lappir said:

If I purchase something it will be mostly "Wild Land" requiring little upkeep. If there is a building or home on the property it would be rented out with the "Renter" responsible for keeping up the property for a very reasonable rental rate. The "City, County or State" would have to allow me to park my 'Home On Wheels' and live on the property as often and for how ever long I would decide. So far that's what's blocking me in my current area and the properties I have had interest in. 

Not sure if the interest I had over this past winter will come back again when I finish my Summer travels or not.

Rod

When we decided to go fulltiming in 2010, we sold our mountaintop home and 400 acre forest property, but we kept our lakeside summer cottage on a 2 acre wooded lot. Over the years we've completely remodeled the cottage into a year round home with a full hookup RV site alongside to be both our base and our "hang up the keys" home. We didn't rent it out, instead letting family members use the property for vacations in exchange for helping with maintaining and improving the place. Now that our health has taken us off the fulltime road, we're going to be enjoying the best of both worlds we hope, by still making limited RV trips and having a home near our family to come back to.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

When we decided to go fulltiming in 2010, we sold our mountaintop home and 400 acre forest property, but we kept our lakeside summer cottage on a 2 acre wooded lot. Over the years we've completely remodeled the cottage into a year round home with a full hookup RV site alongside to be both our base and our "hang up the keys" home. We didn't rent it out, instead letting family members use the property for vacations in exchange for helping with maintaining and improving the place. Now that our health has taken us off the fulltime road, we're going to be enjoying the best of both worlds we hope, by still making limited RV trips and having a home near our family to come back to.

That was a great plan. I don't have that type of "Family" members. Congratulations. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800