Alaska in 2025

kb0zke

We had originally planned to go to Alaska this year, but circumstances dictated otherwise, so we're planning for next year. While talking with a long-time Escapee member who has been to Alaska several times, he mentioned that years ago groups of Escapees would put together their own caravans to various places. He mentioned several trips to various places with 6-30 rigs involved. According to him, that was the norm 20 years ago. To me, that seems the ideal way to go to Alaska - with a small group that is setting their own schedule.

What do the rest of you think? Is this an idea that can return? Ideally, there should be one person/couple with experience or knowledge of those little, out-of-the-way places that ought not be missed. I'd be willing to be a contact person and researcher. If there is interest in learning more about how it was done back then I can ask my neighbor. He is at Happy Hour nearly every day.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Having been to Alaska a few times I really would not want to go with a group.  Too confining.  There were many times we stayed in a place for a week or so and at some places that we read about we left after an hour.  I really think it's best to explore at your leisure and do things that YOU want to do.  Of course, everyone is different.  We met people along the route that we would meet up with at another place.  We shared experiences.  It really isn't a difficult trip... just long.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Why not just find one or two others who plan to go and travel together to and from but separate for the time there? That way you can have the security of fellow travelers on the trip and the independence to explore while there? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I went in 2018 with 3 other rigs (we were all good friends to begin with, and I still often camp with them) and it worked out well.  I would NOT want to go with any more rigs, especially the way we traveled.

We had reservations at a couple of places, but not a lot.  We would meet every evening and discuss where how far we wanted to go and where we wanted to stop.  We usually dry camped in provincial and state campgrounds along the way and they are all first come-first served.  With 4 rigs, we left reasonably early in the morning and drove about 150 miles or so (roads are such that you can’t plan on going 50, more like 40mph, in some cases not even that) and were looking for camping spots around 1:30 or 2 at the latest (not long after check-out time).  That was a way to be almost sure of 4 spots - the campgrounds fill up fast and I often saw someone coming in about 4:30 or 5 and drive through without getting a site.

Many (but certainly not all) of the full-hookup campgrounds were relatively easy to get spots a day or two ahead back then.  No idea if it would still be the same now.

Escapees is advertising a HOP.. 8 nights for $8500 per person ($17,000) and you have to fly yourself into Alaska to begin it.   You might want to check it out if you want to go with a group.  Hope you get there somehow.  It's an awesome place!

https://escapees.com/event/alaska-outdoor-adventure-bears-and-glacier-hop/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 3 months later...

We're on our way to Alaska now.  We left home (Cincinnati-ish) June 6, with no reservations.  The farthest out we've called a campground, so far, is the day before arrival.  

As for travelling in a group, we like the freedom to just decide to stay, or not, without consulting others.  Besides, we likely have many friends in Alaska that we've yet to meet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

On our second trip to Alaska, we went with two other couples. While we had fun, I would not want to go with a larger group. In fact, if we went again, I'd want to go alone.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We have friends who met in Great Falls, MT and then traveled together as far as Dawson Creek, AK and separated. About 2 months later they met up again for the return trip but only crossed paths twice while in AK. They both still say it worked very well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 6/27/2024 at 9:47 PM, LindaH said:

On our second trip to Alaska, we went with two other couples. While we had fun, I would not want to go with a larger group. In fact, if we went again, I'd want to go alone.

There's no doubt that traveling solo or with just one other person offers incredible flexibility. But sometimes, a change of pace with another couple as friends can be fun too.

If you're single, WINs (Wandering Individuals Network) does just that.  This year they sent 5 or 6 groups of 4-5 RVs each going up to Alaska.  Each group departed two days apart following a general itinerary with the pacing and details determined by the group.  This year sold out so they're likely going to repeat it again next year.