need recommendations for RV park/resort near North Rim of Grand Canyon

Hi,

We need some recommendations for RV parks/resorts near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We want to arrive May 15 which is when the North Rim opens.

Where would you recommend we stay?

Thanks!

Thad

No 'resorts' around there.  Check for parks in Jacob Lake, AZ & Kanab, UT.  There's also DeMotte Nat'l Forest campground just outside the gate ..... very nice, as is getting a site in the park itself.  Also, lots of boondocking spots in the area.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

So far as I know Jacob Lake has one CG, mot a resort and has water restrictions since they are having water trucked in. One small FS CG right at the town. This puts you and hour or so from the gate and the park village is another 15 miles.

Kanab and that area is at least another half hour. Why there is a lot of boondocking in the surrounding NF there are also a lot of boondockers. We were there on opening day last year.

We stayed at Kaibab Camper Village, would not call it a resort but it was fine for the few days we were there. Everything else is dry camping in the area.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

2 hours ago, D&J said:

We stayed at Kaibab Camper Village, would not call it a resort but it was fine for the few days we were there. Everything else is dry camping in the area.

Denny

"Everything else" is not dry camping.  There are many RV park in the area.

I just now looked at if the OP wants a 'resort' he may look into Grand Plateau RV Resort.

https://gprvresort.com/

https://www.campendium.com/utah/kanab

There's also Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park which is a beauty & a 'must see' even if not camping there.   Also, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is worth a tour.  It's in a gorgeous setting.

Here's Kaibab Camper Village   https://www.campendium.com/arizona/jacob-lake

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

On 3/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, agesilaus said:

So far as I know Jacob Lake has one CG, mot a resort and has water restrictions since they are having water trucked in. One small FS CG right at the town. This puts you and hour or so from the gate and the park village is another 15 miles.

Kanab and that area is at least another half hour. Why there is a lot of boondocking in the surrounding NF there are also a lot of boondockers. We were there on opening day last year.

We stayed at Jacobs Lake and it's a good 30 miles North of the North rim gate that I remember, but it's the closest FHU CG. I'd have dry camped in the North Rim CG but no spaces for a 40' RV.

Thad; anticipate snow at the North Rim in early May. How's that going to co-inside with your hiking permit difficulty??

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

We stayed at Jacobs Lake and it's a good 30 miles North of the North rim gate that I remember, but it's the closest FHU CG. I'd have dry camped in the North Rim CG but no spaces for a 40' RV.

Thad; anticipate snow at the North Rim in early May. How's that going to co-inside with your hiking permit difficulty??

It would be rare to have snow mid-May especially below the Rim.  We rafted the canyon in mid-May and swam in the river.  It was very hot.  We did have one unplanned swim though.  Our paddle boat flipped all 7 of us out going through Upset Rapids, rightly named!  Also, we did fit our 40' in the campground but only a few sites would work.  😊

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

• 2 weeks later...