buying a car out of state

GMAAnnie

I can't answer your entire question but I can tell you what we did about a California purchase. We bought an RV from a dealer in California but took delivery in Nevada just across the state line to avoid having to register it in CA. It came with a 30 day permit. We then used our mail service in South Dakota to register it there. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I would think Texas would want to see the car to verify the title matches the vin number on the car and to verify that the car is not stolen. Most states want this to be done within 30 days.  At the least run the vin number to verify it is not stolen.

I would start with a call to Texas license department.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I strongly suggest that if you are domiciled via Escapees in Livingston, you need to contact Polk Co.Asscessor's office before you buy the car.   Phone: (936)327-6801 That is where you must register the car and they can/will tell you exactly what you need to do. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There’s a packet you can download on the Escapees website (assuming you use their mail forwarding service) that has all the forms you need to register a vehicle purchased out of state.  I had questions because I was buying a new trailer from a dealer (who refused to deal with Texas) and it hadn’t been registered before, so I didn’t have any of that paperwork.  I called Polk County and got clarification what I would need from the dealer, they were very helpful.

The main form has blocks for private sale vehicles and the packet had all the information about what you need (title, previous registration etc.).  It looked like you could use the form for purchasing a vehicle from a private party as well as a dealership.

While you can obtain the forms over the internet, you can’t do the registration online - you have to mail in the forms with the various supporting documents.  The next time my truck and trailer go to Texas, I will have 3 days to have them inspected/VIN number verified.

P.S. Check with California about their rules - it used to be that any vehicle transaction done in California would be subject to California state tax and registration, at least as far as buying from a dealership goes.  I don’t think that private sales were subject to that but things change and my knowledge of such things dates back 5 years.

Edited by fpmtngal

12 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

Check with California about their rules - it used to be that any vehicle transaction done in California would be subject to California state tax and registration, at least as far as buying from a dealership goes.  I don’t think that private sales were subject to that but things change and my knowledge of such things dates back 5 years.

That was the case in 2010 when we bought our RV from a dealer. The exception was if the vehicle was delivered outside of California and did not re-enter the state for some specific amount of time I cannot remember.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

There’s a packet you can download on the Escapees website (assuming you use their mail forwarding service) that has all the forms you need to register a vehicle purchased out of state.  I had questions because I was buying a new trailer from a dealer (who refused to deal with Texas) and it hadn’t been registered before, so I didn’t have any of that paperwork.  I called Polk County and got clarification what I would need from the dealer, they were very helpful.

The main form has blocks for private sale vehicles and the packet had all the information about what you need (title, previous registration etc.).  It looked like you could use the form for purchasing a vehicle from a private party as well as a dealership.

While you can obtain the forms over the internet, you can’t do the registration online - you have to mail in the forms with the various supporting documents.  The next time my truck and trailer go to Texas, I will have 3 days to have them inspected/VIN number verified.

P.S. Check with California about their rules - it used to be that any vehicle transaction done in California would be subject to California state tax and registration, at least as far as buying from a dealership goes.  I don’t think that private sales were subject to that but things change and my knowledge of such things dates back 5 years.

looked and did not see a packet, 

16 minutes ago, GMAAnnie said:

looked and did not see a packet, 

Are you a member of the Escapees RV Club? If so you need to log in and visit the domicile section.  If you are not then the application for TX title is available from the state website. You should still contact the TX-DMV to be sure of what you need to do. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI