Webasto or Espar

spindrift

I had one in my last van. It would only run ten hours at a time. If I wanted it to run longer, I had to turn it off then back on. But it did a good job for my space while just sipping fuel.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

38 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I had one in my last van. It would only run ten hours at a time. If I wanted it to run longer, I had to turn it off then back on. But it did a good job for my space while just sipping fuel.

Linda

I understand sizing the unit for your area is critical.  Better to size smaller and run on high to keep the heater running properly.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

2 hours ago, spindrift said:

I understand sizing the unit for your area is critical.  Better to size smaller and run on high to keep the heater running properly.

It wasn't a case of sizing; the ten hour limit was a feature of the heater. I suspect, since these are designed to heat truck cabs they wanted to make sure you didn't use too much fuel while sleeping. Although it would turn off if the fuel tank hit a certain limit no matter how long the heater had run.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

20 hours ago, spindrift said:

Yes. Running these on higher settings will keep them cleaner and fewer failures.

Though I'm not heating a large coach area, I have an Espar diesel heater in the truck sleeper and love it.

After watching dozens of videos on various brands, countries of origin etc. one thing remained common, the fuel pump noise. Sure enough, even though the little fuel pump is outside the sleeper, it is what regulates the temp, and it makes the clicking noises so often mentioned in videos and other written reviews. So fuel pump location and sound control are important.

The combustion exhaust noise is not all that bad even without the so named "muffler" that you are supposed to install in the combustion exhaust piping.

IMO, Webasto or Espar both seem to be regarded as quality units. I'd go with the brand that you can get serviced locally to your home or domicile.

Class B rvs seem to use these a lot. I have one still in the box that I purchased from a local B conversion company. It's said to be the same quality as an Espar, but branded generic, so.... If I install it in the toyhauler box, I'll see how long it lasts. But even the company I bought it from here locally asked what size space I wanted to heat and suggested using the smaller btu unit and running on higher settings to avoid soot build up and eventual failure. FWIW.

I'm a work'n on it.

These units don't seem to be used in larger fifth wheels.  Seems to me that they would be a good choice if you already have a fuel tank.  In addition, maybe a smaller footprint?  Certainly less moisture in the living space and a more efficient fuel type as well. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I bought one of the Chinese knock offs on Amazon for my work shop.  Its the portable one with the built-in fuel tank.  Think I paid a $150 for it.  My small shop is 14x24 and heats it very well.  I fire it up and turn it off about 30 minutes later and the shop is nice and toasty, 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I had my unit serviced once. I took it to a shop that repairs refrigerated trucks. That's where we learned the unit was installed then the cabinet built around it. They had to dig it out to do the work then left it in a more accessible location. So, yes, location is important for more than one reason.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

What is the size of your "coach" ?  I saw an article that said I can heat a house with a candle if I put it under a clay flower pot .  My 5th wheel has a furnace and it Is ducted thru the floor in every room. The blower motor is large to move all the air.  I am considering a diesel heater for a sleeper area not a 38 ft 5th wheel. 

I saw that video link too.  Simple physics tells me it's bs.  A candle can't put out enough btu's to do the job.  Well unless you have enough insulation to have zero heat loss.  Good luck with that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net