EternaBond on curved edges???

Leanne

Hello fellow travelers!

I want to seal the seams of my RV with EternaBond.  I have a Class C with the bunk over the cab and so have curved seams there.  Anybody use the EternaBond tape on curved edges with any success?  Any tips from anyone who has used EternaBond would be greatly appreciated  Thanks!

Happy Trails!

Eternabond was bought by H.B. Fuller and their video library is different now.   When properly prepared and instructions for laying-down Eternabond tape are followed exactly, it will has as long as the roof.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Leanne said:

Anybody use the EternaBond tape on curved edges with any success?  Any tips from anyone who has used EternaBond would be greatly appreciated

Good questions Leanne, FWIW you asked so here is MY experience.

YES, I've used EternaBond tape on curved surfaces, it didn't separate or peel away and adhered as well as on flats......

TIPS: THOROUGH Cleaning  and Preparation is my advice (IE read the darn directions) .. I've used it and it sticks like permanently and for sure seals out any water. 

NOTE  I am NOT any roof or Eterna Bond or any other RV sealant expert, see what any of them have to say.. I'm ONLY saying I have used it and other Dicor type (self leveling lap sealant) products (NOT silicone on RV roofs) and never had a problem.

Best wishes

John T    Again NOT an expert

I've done it using Eternabond fabric tape, not the slick plastic coated variety. It easily bends around corners etc.

Prep is very seriously a huge part of it. I cleaned the area, then thoroughly degreased it using acetone. Next it was painted with Eternabond Primer. Once dry, the tape was applied and very forcefully rolled to create the microsealant. Just sticking Eternabond down will not work; you'd just as well use duct tape. Finally, the tape was painted over with Heng's elastomeric paint to protect it from sun since it doesn't have the plastic layer.

After 10 years it's still stuck and not leaking.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

9 hours ago, justRich said:

Eternabond works great on simple curves.  Not so great on a convex surface - such as where a curve terminates on a round ball-like corner.  Just make sure that you will NEVER have to remove the tape.

Heat it carefully with a heat gun and it will come off. It’s messy but doable. 

Ok, I was just on the Amazon website reading about the EternaBond Tape and Primer and it said that installation must happen in temperatures under 40 deg. F  I live in the Arizona desert.  I would have only a few days in January when it would even be possible.  What am I to do???  Is this not going to work in my situation?

10 hours ago, Leanne said:

Ok, I was just on the Amazon website reading about the EternaBond Tape and Primer and it said that installation must happen in temperatures under 40 deg. F  I live in the Arizona desert.  I would have only a few days in January when it would even be possible.  What am I to do???  Is this not going to work in my situation?

I think you misread.  It says that if you use Eternabond when it is below 40F, you must use Eternaprime and keep tape warm.  I've installed the tape at much higher temps with no problem and no primer.  Just clean the surface well with alcohol or some other approved cleaner.

Here  are the instructions.  https://protechonline.net/media/contentmanager/content/Eternabond-Installation-Instructions.pdf

Webseal is the Eternabond I was talking about. It has no plastic cover layer, just microsealant coated on a fabric substrate. It's very flexible, and should be painted (Hengs etc) to protect it from sun.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com