What type campground would you prefer?

On 7/20/2023 at 9:02 PM, kb0zke said:

It depends on why we're there. One campground we frequent is just a big parking lot with electric and water - and one dump station for 200 sites. Why do we go there? It is very close to family. Another is also a parking lot, but with FHU for the six sites. Why there? It is free (donations accepted) and about a day's drive from our winter base. COE parks are generally our first choice, followed by State parks. City and county campgrounds are often good finds, but require more work to find. We generally avoid commercial campgrounds, but we do have a lifetime Passport America membership, and we've already saved far more than it cost, even with using it only once or twice a year. KOA is pretty far down on the list for us, as we're not interested in swimming pools or miniature golf. On the other hand, we've been to two that were pretty much the only game in town.

If we're moving fairly quickly we're only going to stay one night, so as long as it is fairly quiet we're find. I do keep a log of where we stay each night, and more than once we've found a place that was so nice we decided to go back for a longer stay some other time.

X2

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

The more open the better- I prefer state & national parks.  I don't need hookups (I often spend the winter in the Quartzsite Long Term Visitor Area going 90+ days without hookups) but when it gets too hot, I head for state parks that have electric so I can run the AC.  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

For us the prefered campsite has changed over the years, just as our style of travel has. When we were tenting we tried to get as far from others as possible, but the past few years we always want full hookups at the minimum. We favor COE parks for the 1/2 price camping provided by our senior card and if available other federal campgrounds would be next but we also rate convenience much more highly than in the past so often stay in commercial RV parks. Swimming pools and such mean little to us and we have not stayed in a parking lot in at least 5 years. For 1 night we require very little, but for an extended period want quiet and privacy. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI