Windows 12???

Ray,IN

Just when the people with W 11 are getting comfortable, along comes this;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/oh-dear-windows-12-might-have-just-been-leaked-by-microsoft-and-intel/ar-AA187nvd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fe546436b23b44a0863ca6501f5a3c4c&ei=94

That pretty-much seals the deal; if I'm still alive when W 12 comes out I'm switching to Linux OS because my W 10 will not be supported. W 12 might be totally on a cloud according to that article.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The cloud is the way of the future. What worries me from an RVer standpoint is the internet is not always available and sometimes when it is it is marginal. Hopefully Microsoft will hold off on pushing this until such time as other projects, such as the T-Mobile/Starlink partnership, come to fruition so that internet will truly be available everywhere.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Gary I don't like the cloud  idea, what happens if hackers somehow install ransomware on the servers?? Dishnetwork computers are still down due to a ransomware attack a week ago. You cannot call and do business, you only get a recording saying they are experiencing problems.

Shoot, last year even LastPass password manager was hacked, they are still in recovery mode. Since LastPass cannot ever see my passwords, the only data they can find that was compromised was names and address type stuff.

I've about made up my mind to switch to a Linux OS when Microsoft ends support for W 10 anyway.(assuming I'm still kicking)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I agree Ray. Thus my Linux posts as I have more than a passing interest again, and I am about to do one again.

As of this writing, I will not go to a cloud Operating system, that could change with new facts.

My tech is being upgraded for much faster storage, however.

I have over 20TB of 3.5" hard drives, and 12 TB of 1TB 2.5" HDDs manufactured in 2018 and later, six in external 3.1 and 3.2 HDD enclosures 3 1TB internal storage HDDS. And I have two BlacX THermaltake USB 3.0 docks for the old 3.5" and 2.5" drives HDD and 2.5" SSD drives.

All that to say that I should have no need of any new computers or systems, hardware-wise for about 5-10 years. But I prefer local storage in my total control. I can deal with Windows 11 but its updates are heading towards making it behave like the Windows 12 attributes described in your article. I had to configure One Drive off in both 11 and 10, and configure all things saved to the local drive/s already on my computers.

With 11 they removed the ability (AFAIK) to do factory resets to a local account on systems without a Microsoft account easily, or not at all, so they may well try to force us into the online OS. Not hard forcing yet, but Microsoft is twisting everyone's arms to go to the cloud already with One Drive. So I am going to dual boot both for Linux and Windows 11 and 10 respectively on my main windows 11 system and my backup Windows 10 system.

If I can still configure 11 for for local storage for 10 years, (2032) the usual support cycle for Windows versions, I will still be fully versed in whichever Linux distro I choose, likely Mint with Cinnamon. I have never set up a dual boot Windows box only played with Linux Live CDs and the USAF Selinux on a flash drive. So more on that later.

I am sure the Microsoft and Apple walled gardens will include some features only in their cloud OS versions that we will supposedly want. All my most important Data is already on a 4TB WD Big external drive. And I have two fast external micro SSDs that are very fast and best for images now, a PNY 1TB Elite, and a Samsung 500GB T5. I found the Crucial X6 1 TB on sale for $59.99 and it is rated faster than the Samsung T5 and the PNY Elite I already have. I just ordered the Crucial X6 1TB to try and if the prices stay low get another three so I have six - one for each system. I can highly recommend the PNY so far with six months on it and the Samsung should do as well. These are all USB C. https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-Portable-SSD-CT1000X6SSD9/dp/B08FSZT2J7/ref=asc_df_B08FSZT2J7?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264457287574&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863989607472&th=1

These may replace the six 1 TB 5 year old WD 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drives in enclosures I have now with the faster drives. But I will always have a hard drive with all our data on it and our system image backups in the Faraday cage.

But I also have one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PYKBBBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I may use the faster NVMe enclosures as in that link with NVMe drives in them later as the prices come down on the 1 TB NVMe M.2 drives. I also already have the m.2 NVMe SSD dock to clone to and format used drives for use in my computers and enclosures.

I may change my mind given new facts, I also remember saying I will never go from Windows XP to  Windows 7.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire