Big Horn Mountains WY

Tackleberry

Anybody tow through the Big Horns on route 16?

I tried it in 2017 with my 2001 F350 pulling the toy hauler and made it about 20 miles before burning up front transmission seal.

I'm hoping the HDT can pull my toy hauler up easily, and more importantly DOWN safely.

I would think it is up for the task, but I'm a little gun shy after that last $400 tow bill!

I'm heading to Yellowstone via Cody WY.

Trip originates in NY.

Any tips on route?  

This is a stop on our Alaska trip!

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

I think GeorgiaHybrid has been over 16.  Said it was doable but not entirely fun.  I’m pretty sure 14 is what you want to avoid.  We went from Custer State Park and just took 90 around to Cody..easy.  That way we could also stop at Little Big Horn of 90.  Stayed at Ponderosa Campground in Cody.  Fit us ok.  Be sure and go to the museum in Cody especially the gun collection and plains Indian wings…fascinating.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 hours ago, Tackleberry said:

Anybody tow through the Big Horns on route 16?

I have never done so with an HDT, but I have been over that route several times from Buffalo to Worland with several different RVs to include our class A gas powered towing a Honda CR-V. While it is mountainous, it isn't really difficult and only a few really steep stretches. I would consider it to be a fun trip. There is a nice campground on Meadowlark Lake. It is nothing like the route of US14. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

LOL, you will enjoy that road but it does have a good pucker factor in spots. We passed quite a few pickups with overheated transmissions and engines but didn't have an issue with our truck.

If you are headed over and into Ten Sleep and Worland, enjoy the view going down the "bow tie". You will know it when you are on it but is has a roughly 1,000 foot drop in a section that looks like a bow tie from a satellite view.

Zoom in on 16 east of Ten Sleep and you can see that section in google maps. It is a fun road to drive but you can get a little nervous the first time down.

In a HDT, it is not a problem. Just take it easy and enjoy the view.

Edit: I would avoid 14 if possible. I have a buddy in Worland that drives for a living and he is very careful if he has to take that route.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Hwy 16 from Buffalo is Powder River Pass EL9600'

Westbound from Buffalo:  About 3 mi from the summit is steep grade for 18 miles - 5-7%  Then 9 mi from the summit is 6% grade for 10 miles with a runaway truck ramp at 16 mi down from the summit.  Then another 4 mi of steep grade.  Many curves on this hill.  Get into low grade before beginning down; not in the midst.  Use brakes as little as possible.

That said.... take it easy & you'll be fine.  Many RVers drive it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

One other thing, just before you start down the bow tie, there is a pull off parking area on the left that can handle our rigs. Stop there to take in the view and then look behind you at the shear rock face that seems to go up forever. You can get dizzy looking up and the view into Ten Sleep valley is unforgettable.

If you need a place to stay in that area, just as you enter Worland, on the right, is Worland RV Park and Campground. They have some long sites at the back that can handle our rigs with ease.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

AFTER the Bighorn Mountains, or west of them, we discovered the Devils Canyon Overlook.  It’s just north of the Montana line on 37.  I know this is way north of 16 and not on your route.  Our trips have taken unexpected turns for sightseeing and this was one of them.  We had read about herds of wild horses near that highway.  We haven’t been through the Bighorns by either route (we went to Billings and Bozeman instead) but looking at the map I agree with the advice for 16.

We spent 2 weeks in Cody and it was very nice.  I can’t emphasize enough to visit the Buffalo Bill museum.  We took in our first rodeo a bit west of town, and had more than one meal at Granny’s restaurant.  Millstone Pizza was just fair.  There are lots of restaurants.  We stayed at Parkway near Walmart, it was ok in a pinch.  We moved to Absoroka Bay east of town and it was much better, I would stay there again.  

Will you drive your rig all the way into Yellowstone?  Or just a tow car?  We work camped from an employee campgound, our HDT was our only transportation.  We drove without the fifth wheel from the lake to the east gate, not from Cody, so I can say there are one or two tight switchbacks nearer the lake but I think those are doable for an HDT rig.  We came in through the north entrance before the flooding and it is also doable but very tight turns.  I consider the west and south entrances to be the easiest for a larger rig.  Near Yellowstone Lake   In the campground   I have some videos of our 6 week stay there on Rumble if anyone is interested.  I tend to stay away from YouTube. 
Yellowstone Bear

Edited by Sculptor
added link

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

If you are on I-90 through South Dakota and need a stop, there's a really nice COE park called Left Tailrace near Fort Thompson. It's got sites big enough for us, and the trees are really beautiful and not a height issue. Has a dump station that's easy to access. Looked like a good fishing spot if you're into that, it's at the bottom of the dam. We saw fish jumping. There are some pull-thrus, we were in #31. It's a ways off the freeway, so no noise. You'll also want to stop at the Chamberlain Rest Area, there's a really neat statue there.

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD