Winnebago motorhome lithium batteries

Joe Row

I want to replace my 3 motorhome batteries with lithium batteries but not sure if all 3 should be the same or if V10 engine battery should be different. I'm full time RV and only travel Texas, Arkansas and South to Florida. No Northern states or cold climates. Looking at LifePo4 at this time wondering if this is the correct path to take. 100ah 900 CCA. Suggestions welcome.

Are you looking to increase your ability to dry camp without shore power? Do you have problems starting your chassis engine?  Your chassis battery is probably a Group Size 65, as that is what usually comes with a new F53. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dry camping would be an emergency only option. Mostly want longevity/reliability and less weight. I'm 80 and don't need the hassle or corrosive nature of lead acid batteries. The lithium should last me the rest of my traveling adventures. Only God knows for sure. My current lead acid batteries are probably the originals that came with the motorhome. and need replacing.

Edited by Joe Row
Additional info

LiFePO4 house batteries are an excellent choice in terms of useable amp hours, low maintenance, and number of lifetime charge cycles... but they are very expensive. They are also not the best choice for a chassis battery as they are not designed to provide high burst current for starting an engine (someone more knowledgeable may chime in on this). If you have separate house and chassis batteries, LiFePO4 for the house and a good lead-acid for the chassis might be the best combination. We have a fifth wheel and have four 100 amp hour batteries with solar and are very happy with the setup. Keep in mind that lithium batteries have different charging requirements and, unless you have a lithium capable converter/charger, you will need to switch that out to get full use of the LiFePO4 batteries.

Just my two cents worth (not counting inflation).

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thank you Second Chance for your input. I was not sure if I should mix the battery bank or not. Prefer to go all lithium and use the same charger I use on my lithium trolling motor battery for my kayak. Up front cost is costly but the purchase would pay off in the long run. I will also utilize my solar panel to keep the batteries at their peak.

8 minutes ago, Joe Row said:

Thank you Second Chance for your input. I was not sure if I should mix the battery bank or not. Prefer to go all lithium and use the same charger I use on my lithium trolling motor battery for my kayak. Up front cost is costly but the purchase would pay off in the long run. I will also utilize my solar panel to keep the batteries at their peak.

Battery types should not be mixed on the same charging system. Also, if you use your existing solar to charge lithium batteries, the MPPT solar controller would need to be configured for solar. Otherwise, you'll only get to about 85% state of charge on the batteries.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

Battery types should not be mixed on the same charging system. Also, if you use your existing solar to charge lithium batteries, the MPPT solar controller would need to be configured for solar. Otherwise, you'll only get to about 85% state of charge on the batteries.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I'm not well versed on this subject but plan on going to a dealership and conversing with a service manager that services Winnebago for his input too.

32 minutes ago, Joe Row said:

Thanks Rob. I'm not well versed on this subject but plan on going to a dealership and conversing with a service manager that services Winnebago for his input too.

Unless you can find a service manager at a dealership that is well versed in lithium iron phosphate batteries, you are probably wasting your time at a dealership.
Kirk's idea sounds the best to me.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Lithium batteries are not typically used for starting batteries. These batteries have a BMS and that will in most cases limit the maximum draw well below starting requirements.  I would be surprised if you could find a single lithium battery that could start your MH.  Lithium or LFP batteries are well suited for house batteries. The long life, lighter weight and faster more efficient charging is great.  If you have solar the MPPT charger likely will work even without  any changes.  If it charges between 14 and 14.5v it should work fine.  Depending on the voltages of the inverter/charger or the converter  it may also work without any changes.  In addition most newer units have a lithium specific setting available.  You are most likely to get good battery advice from a store that specializes in batteries. A dealership would not be my first  choice. 

We have a large LFP bank, with solar.  We have been using it for four years and boondock extensively.   It is working very well for us.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Thank you Randyretired. When my lead acid battery is rated at 850 CCA and the lithium I'm looking at is rated at 900 CCA, I tend to lean towards the 900 CCA for starting my V10 gas engine. My motorhome has @14k miles on it and is a 2017 so it seems it cranks easy enough with the 850 CCA but I want the lithium for lighter weight/longevity/ and reliabity.. Appreciate your response and input.

Thanks to all who had comments and input. I hope one day to cross paths with you or others who take the time to offer assistance to us rookies. Much appreciated. I am recently widowed but my wife's last request was for me to roll up the shore power cord and septic hoses and go. I'm almost at the starting line.

9 hours ago, Second Chance said:

LiFePO4 house batteries are an excellent choice in terms of useable amp hours, low maintenance, and number of lifetime charge cycles... but they are very expensive. They are also not the best choice for a chassis battery as they are not designed to provide high burst current for starting an engine (someone more knowledgeable may chime in on this). If you have separate house and chassis batteries, LiFePO4 for the house and a good lead-acid for the chassis might be the best combination. We have a fifth wheel and have four 100 amp hour batteries with solar and are very happy with the setup. Keep in mind that lithium batteries have different charging requirements and, unless you have a lithium capable converter/charger, you will need to switch that out to get full use of the LiFePO4 batteries.

Just my two cents worth (not counting inflation).

Rob

Just this year: Lithium starting battery. It's very expensive too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Just this year: Lithium starting battery. It's very expensive too.

They showed these last January (2022) at the Quartzsite Big Tent.

I have a 1997 Safari motorhome with the Chevy 454 gas engine and a pair of Lion Safari UT1300 house batteries.  When the Optima starting battery failed due to an internal defect (one of the posts became disconnected internally) in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada they easily started the engine via the Boost switch for the remainder of my trip.  I wouldn't recommend them as starting batteries but a pair does work in a pinch.

Edited by Lou Schneider