Solar Panels Go Perfectly With Pickup Truck Tonneau Covers

RV_

Excerpt:

"Solliance is one of the organizations working on a silicon-perovskite hybrid solution, and they appear to have hit the nail on the head.

“For the first time, four-terminal perovskite/silicon tandem devices with certified top cell pass the barrier of 30%. Such high efficiency enables more power per square meters and less cost per kWh,” Solliance announced last September.

“Additionally, achieving high-power density will create more opportunities to integrate these solar cells into construction and building elements, so that more existing surface area can be covered with PV modules,” they observed. They didn’t mention tonneau covers, but that fits the general picture.

One Step Closer To The Solar Powered Pickup Truck Of The Future

This past year has been a busy one for Worksport. In April, the company entered an agreement with Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. to produce customized prototypes of its 650-watt Worksport SOLIS solarized tonneau cover, engineered to fit the bed of Hyundai’s Santa Cruz pickup truck. The agreement also includes Worksport’s COR energy storage system."

Interesting article with much more:

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/25/solar-panels-go-perfectly-with-pickup-truck-tonneau-covers/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This is similar the the idea I have of putting a "car port" of solar panels above the bed of our toter truck.  I have a space roughly 5x8 above the car, and could integrate sliders to "stack" panels to deploy when parked.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

This is similar the the idea I have of putting a "car port" of solar panels above the bed of our toter truck.  I have a space roughly 5x8 above the car, and could integrate sliders to "stack" panels to deploy when parked.

How many do you think you could stack? Would you do them flat or try to have them tilt and then make sure you park the truck north and south to maximize your morning and afternoon sun. I keep thinking of trying to put a flat one or two on my drom box. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I haven't actually drawn it out, but I think one could put slide out "drawers" to go to each side plus the rear.  So four sub panels in all. None need be rigid, except for travel, so angling each might be pretty easy.

I have no idea how "thick" each tray might be, but I have several vertical feet of space available.

That said, we rarely boondock, and usually for only one or two nights.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Good ideas Rick.

I am liking the 30% efficiency of the silicon-perovskite hybrid . But of course we'll see when they have significant number of panels in the field.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Solar insolation averages 1000 watts per square meter.  This means even one of the 30% ultra efficient solar panels will only capture 300 watts per square meter under ideal conditions.

I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out how many square meters of solar panels you'll need to recharge a 60-100 KwH battery pack in a reasonable amount of time compared to the area on a tonneau cover or even on the roof of an RV.

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 12/28/2022 at 3:20 AM, Lou Schneider said:

Solar insolation averages 1000 watts per square meter.  This means even one of the 30% ultra efficient solar panels will only capture 300 watts per square meter under ideal conditions.

I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out how many square meters of solar panels you'll need to recharge a 60-100 KwH battery pack in a reasonable amount of time compared to the area on a tonneau cover or even on the roof of an RV.

Lou, that's not even what it's about.

"This past year has been a busy one for Worksport. In April, the company entered an agreement with Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. to produce customized prototypes of its 650-watt Worksport SOLIS solarized tonneau cover, engineered to fit the bed of Hyundai’s Santa Cruz pickup truck. The agreement also includes Worksport’s COR energy storage system."

If you are interested enough to comment let me point out that just checking the company shows you that they are talking about this from their website. I really like their systems, but I don't need them as we do day trips only for now, and don't plan to get a pickup any time soon. Here's some visuals:

as0dCx3l.jpg

0a9Rz6Ql.jpg

Source with more:

A portable power generation and energy storage system

Power to Live,Work and Play. Anywhere. Anytime.

https://worksport.com/pages/cor-solis#:~:text=Worksport’s SOLIS and COR provide an adaptable power,battery for a fresh one without losing juice.

Hope that helps

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The 650 watt panel will certainly produce a little bit of power but it will take a long time to add much of anything to an EV battery. This time of year a perfectly aimed 650 watt panel will produce around 1,800wh hours on a sunny day.   A panel laying flat maybe 1,300wh on a bright sunny day with no clouds or haze here in Colorado.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Then perhaps the headline on the press release shouldn't say

when it's physically impossible to reach that stated goal.

Well, being "one step closer" doesn't mean it's an achievable goal, given known technology.  As I understand, so far, it's a dream, with a faint glimmer of hope sprinkled on top.🙂

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, being "one step closer" doesn't mean it's an achievable goal, given known technology.  As I understand, so far, it's a dream, with a faint glimmer of hope sprinkled on top.🙂

Remember it is more important to LOOK GOOD than DO GOOD.....oh wait........this is not about California.

Remember it is more important to PREDICT the IMPOSSIBLE than to focus on why it won't work.

It has only been 65 years, but I KNOW Tinkerbell is for real and she will come back to me.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

It's an accessory pack, did you read the headline topic in my OP? 🤷‍♂️ C'mon guys. It is a similar idea as Rbrtaloto posted with his battery heater/solar/lithium battery accessory pack.

Tell ya what, just don't get one. I'll be posting what I think is interesting.

Just like Fusion is one step closer with the recent tests, one step closer in the thirty year journey ahead to utility scale use if ever. I love tech and seeing the incremental advancements. It's fun watching the reactions here against anything .

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 12/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, Vladimir said:

Remember it is more important to LOOK GOOD than DO GOOD.....oh wait........this is not about California.

Remember it is more important to PREDICT the IMPOSSIBLE than to focus on why it won't work.

It has only been 65 years, but I KNOW Tinkerbell is for real and she will come back to me.

Your attempts to ridicule are perfectly in line with the camaraderie expected here here. Good job.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 12/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, rickeieio said:

That's not the headline or the topic. The solar bed topper is going into production as is the storage battery set. Your attempts to ridicule are perfectly in line with the camaraderie expected here here. Good job.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 12/30/2022 at 10:28 AM, Lou Schneider said:

Lou, the headline is about the solar panel bed cover and battery storage unit. Nice try. In My OP the headline reads "Solar Panels Go Perfectly With Pickup Truck Tonneau Covers."

Your attempts to ridicule are perfectly in line with the camaraderie expected here here. Good job.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 12/29/2022 at 6:58 PM, Randyretired said:

The 650 watt panel will certainly produce a little bit of power but it will take a long time to add much of anything to an EV battery. This time of year a perfectly aimed 650 watt panel will produce around 1,800wh hours on a sunny day.   A panel laying flat maybe 1,300wh on a bright sunny day with no clouds or haze here in Colorado.  

Randy, the article is about what the headline said, not charging the EV. The headline and topic is

"Solar Panels Go Perfectly With Pickup Truck Tonneau Covers"

Did you read the article?

•  

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

If I were a newcomer here I'd never join, great example to set foe newcomers. I've dealt with better antagonists than found here. Carry on carrying on. Lots more like my posts and don't twist them out of context. I'll have a great new year. I'll be turning on my Tesla light show in my driveway in about an hour. If you'd like to see it go here to see the same color Model Y as mine doing it, fun!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Here's a cartoon from Kirk that sums it up:

0hZA97Al.jpg

Happy New Year to my friends here. Keep the SKP spirit alive! Living well is the best revenge folks, live well!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• Kirk W locked this topic