Establishing domicile with Escapees without an RV

gnomad71

Hello! Has anyone in this community successfully established a domicile in FL or TX without an RV? I'm planning on going nomadic at the start of 2023 and will be splitting my time pinballing around states in the US and internationally. Most of the instructions for establishing residence seem to involve some vehicle registration, so I wanted to know if anyone here has successfully set up domicile without a vehicle? 

Most people have vehicles, so registration of them is important when establishing a domicile.  But, you don't have to have a vehicle.  The steps will all be the same, you just won't have to register a vehicle.  You will still need an address, and all the documentation to support your new address.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

I'm aware of a person who lives in a state other than South Dakota, but has chosen to "Domicile" in South Dakota. He does travel frequently as a salesperson to multiple states. He does not own an RV and drives a "Company" vehicle. I'm not sure if his personal or his wife's personal vehicle have South Dakota plates. 

They say rules are made for those who get caught. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The only problem may be you need to show residency in Livingston to qualify for the documents that can support a domicile claim.   Escapees only has an RV park, so they can't offer the residence address needed for a Texas drivers license and vehicle registration unless you're staying in the RV park when you apply for them.   

There are a couple of mail forwarding companies in South Dakota that include a motel for an overnight stay to satisfy SD's residency requirements.   Lots of truck drivers that are on the road fulltime use them for mail forwarding and domicile.

Edited by Lou Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

I understand you don't have an RV. Are you saying you don't own any vehicle at all? If so, how do you get around?

That's correct - I have been living in a big city for the last 8 years and have not needed a car. WRT to traveling around in Florida, I would rely on ubers/taxis/rentals while in the state but will be spending most of my time out of country or visiting family in other states where I'll have access to spare cars. 

There is no need to own a vehicle of any kind to establish a domicile. Every person, from the moment of birth has a domicile. It has nothing at all to do with owning automobiles. 

Each individual state has its own definition or nuances but the foundational concepts surrounding the definition of a domicile will most likely overlap. 

While there is no universally-accepted definition of domicile, it is a concept that requires an examination of numerous factors to determine the place where one intends to call home. 

It’s a place where a person has been physically present and intends to return and remain—simply put, a person’s permanent abode. Thus, the two overarching factors are a physical presence and a truthful intent about where you are planning to make your home.

This concept can seem somewhat like fitting a square peg into a round hole for a full-time RVer, someone who likely wants to be the square peg—having the freedom to avoid the traditional restraints of a less adventurous lifestyle. However, it’s because of this freedom and frequent travel that makes the choice of domicile that much more important for an RVer.

It is important to proactively make the choice of where you would like to establish domicile. If you do not affirmatively take the steps necessary to choose where your domicile will be, a court or state taxing agency may make the decision for you. Thus, take a few moments to analyze your current domicile and make sure it reflects the location where you truthfully intend it be.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI