Relocating from Florida out west - anyone with connections in southern Utah, Arizona or Nevada?

We are ready to relocate from Florida with our RV and pets to one of the western states to be nearer to family in British Columbia. St. George, Utah looks nice but we are not moving with pots of money! Does anyone know of a nice retirement area that is reasonable within those areas - looking for something that doesn't really get snow. Or have connections with a realtor cousin/brother/nephew etc.? Would love to find a place that our fellow RVers also frequent!

Lake Havasu, Arizona, has lots of RVers. Both with and without houses. So does Yuma. Quartzite, the home of the big RV show in January, has some, too, but you have to be willing to put up with the crowds in January and not much in the way of amenities at any time. None those are particularly close to British Columbia, though.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Lake Havasu, Arizona, has lots of RVers. Both with and without houses. So does Yuma. Quartzite, the home of the big RV show in January, has some, too, but you have to be willing to put up with the crowds in January and not much in the way of amenities at any time. None those are particularly close to British Columbia, though.

Linda

The OP doesn't want snow but I wonder how he feels about excruciating heat?  Those places have it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The OP doesn't want snow but I wonder how he feels about excruciating heat?  Those places have it.

That's true but if you get into northern Arizona you get snow so you pretty much have to go that far south if you want to avoid it. If I was picking among the three places I mentioned. I would probably pick Havasu because at least there you can go play in the water when it gets hot.

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Clearly you have not been to St George.  It is not cheap.  It is a desert area with lots and lots of Summer days over 100 degrees.  In addition to being in the desert, it is a cultural desert.  The big elephant in the room is religion.  There is a very high percentage of Mormons.  It is not that Mormons are difficult to be around, but they have a very tight and closed society.  Outsiders don't fit in well.  

If you are looking for areas with lots of other RVers, tens and tens of thousands of RVers snowbird in the Quartzsite, Parker, Havasu area.  The vast majority live in their RVs but there are also plenty of residential areas in that part of country.  Visit first and stay for a while before making any sort of commitment.

There are plenty of other choices depending on exactly what you are looking for.  Medford, Or is a lot closer to BC and no more expensive than St George.  Be a bit more specific and I am sure you will get plenty of recommendations.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, sandsys said:

That's true but if you get into northern Arizona you get snow so you pretty much have to go that far south if you want to avoid it. If I was picking among the three places I mentioned. I would probably pick Havasu because at least there you can go play in the water when it gets hot.

Havasu is the Easter Break (and many other times of the year) "party spot" like parts of Florida for the college crowd/s.  "Playing in the water" is like a day at the ZOO.  The folks I know who live in Havasu - usually go elsewhere mid-summer due to the heat, and NEVER play in the water during party times!

Other than that - nice place.

Any place North of Albuquerque NM will get snow.

Use this to help with historical average weather for locations: https://weatherspark.com/y/2380/Average-Weather-in-Saint-George-Utah-United-States-Year-Round

That's some pretty high temperature swings, average high 102°, average low 31°.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Here are some thoughts from a slightly different angle...

We marked seven years on the road this past summer. Where to settle down when we can no longer travel has been a topic of discussion for that entire time. I would love to settle back down in southern NM because that's where I grew up and still have two sisters and their families there. My wife is a tropical girl (born and raised in South and Central America due to parents working overseas). She thinks the highs should be in the lower 70s and the lows in the upper 50s year round... with a rain shower every afternoon. She loves Las Cruces in the winter, but the summer heat really scares her. Even at elevation it can be brutal.

More recently, discussions about the southwest have included the water and power situation with the Colorado River and its reservoirs drying up and dropping to critical levels. These changes threaten power generation in seven states. Doña Ana County, NM, and El Paso County, TX, have been in a "water war" for as long as I've been on earth (70 years) over water from the Rio Grande and pumping the aquifers dry. It certainly doesn't help, either, that corporations keep planting miles and miles of pecan trees in the Mesilla valley that have to get water from somewhere! 

Though our hearts are out west, fortunately for us our grandkids are back east. This, and the situations outlined above, are making it more and more likely that we'll end up in Maryland in the end. As long as we're able we'll spend some winters in New Mexico with the RV. As long as we can physically board an airplane, we'll get to see my sisters.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

10 hours ago, Second Chance said:

This, and the situations outlined above, are making it more and more likely that we'll end up in Maryland in the end. As long as we're able we'll spend some winters in New Mexico with the RV. As long as we can physically board an airplane, we'll get to see my sisters.

Rob

Maryland is one of the most expensive places to live... not retirement-friendly.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Maryland is one of the most expensive places to live... not retirement-friendly.

Don't disagree - but we stay long-term on a military base and will likely move in with kids when the time comes. I think we'll have power and water here during our lifetimes...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

4 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Don't disagree - but we stay long-term on a military base and will likely move in with kids when the time comes. I think we'll have power and water here during our lifetimes...

Rob

Moving in with kids may be the cheapest retirement. :)

Linda