Solar generator

spindrift

We attended the Hershey RV Show a few weeks ago and finally got to see a solar generator in the flesh.  I've seen that the number of manufacturers has increased over the past couple of years.  Does anyone have a unit?  Are there advantages/disadvantages associated with these units versus battery storage?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

The name is a total scam....they are just a battery with outputs.

That said I now own TWO Jackery 300 units.  

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Optional/dp/B082TMBYR6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_q59fbn-gIVpg6tBh2_vwObEAAYASAAEgI-0fD_BwE&hvadid=616863502764&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033632&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5900174375687948394&hvtargid=kwd-947141547782&hydadcr=28725_14648672&keywords=jackery+300+portable+power+station&qid=1666032564&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjcxIiwicXNhIjoiMS42MyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMTUifQ%3D%3D&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

I use the Jackery 300 to run my computer, IPAD, phone, my dogs GPS and collar and 12 volt LED light in my trailer.  I put a shelf under my dinette and keep the Jackery there with cables coming up to the table top.  I plug the Jackery charger into a 120 volt outlet and when the generator runs or I am hooked up to shore power it automatically charges the Jackery.

Really that is what I use for the most as a charging station, since it has two 120 outlets, one 12 volt outlet and three USB outlets. 

Outside the trailer I use to run my telescope mounts and astronomy cameras.  I am in the process of setting up one of the Jackery units so I can use with my trolling motor for fly fishing.  There will also be a solar panel on the boat to keep the small Jackery battery charged throughout the day.

It weighs five pounds and has a handy carrying handle so is easy to take out and use outside.

I would think long and hard about where and when you want to use it.  And get a size based on that.  I almost bought a larger size thinking best value, but best size for my location was more important.  It is handy hauling a battery around that is ONLY five pounds.

Also chose carefully the "solar generator" and solar panel.  There are not easily interchangeable.  Some panels come with different "tips", but the panel I bought required a "special" tip for the Jackery. That includes a "extension" for the charging cord from the panel to the battery.

They don't replace a Honda generator, but very handy and useful for reducing generator runs and other uses.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Thanks for the first hand info! I had been looking at one too. I did know they are just battery units with various outputs which makes them very useful. The cost benefit is that a gas generator is the only thing that will run my heating and A/C during a power outages unless we step up to a Powerwall system and Tesla solar. Which we will once we decide where we are moving in the spring to summer 2023.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

https://www.bougerv.com/ must be the first RV products company  that only offers solar related products.

They do not advertise a power station that small though, theirs is 1100WH and offers wireless phone charging.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Solar generators are a bit of a misnomer.  They are basically just batteries in a box with an inverter attached to provide 120 volt power.  They may also include some type of suitcase style solar panel set up to recharge them.  Personally, I would rather spend that money on adding those components individually to my rig (but that is my preference) to supply my power.  You can usually do this more cost effectively.  

If you have a need for limited power away from your rig, they could be an option though.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You can usually do this more cost effectively.  

That's where I was going with this but also thinking about Armageddon and what might be better than the gas gennys I have at home.  Doesn't appear that there's a "best" option.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Can these (especially the small ones Vlad mentioned above) start a vehicle?  If so they'd be interesting to me. If not then they are just a more expensive version of what I already have.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

11 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

If you have a need for limited power away from your rig, they could be an option though.

My phone amplifier is in the truck.  It is really handy to pick up the Jackery and put it in the truck and run the phone amplifier when I am camped and not worrying about draining the truck battery. 

The weight of the 300 watt Jackery is 7.1 lbs not 5 as I mentioned earlier.  The AGM battery I previously used is 15.9 lbs.

It is a pretty simple package with all those outlets.  The Jackery is fairly well made.  I bought my second unit during Amazon's prime sale when it sold for $200.  I doubt you can build me for less than that. 

1 hour ago, folivier said:

Can these (especially the small ones Vlad mentioned above) start a vehicle?  If so they'd be interesting to me. If not then they are just a more expensive version of what I already have.

About 30 plus years ago, when I got my first laptop I got one of the AGM car jump batteries and used that until I got the Jackery unit.  Both units by the way are have a 20 amp hour battery.  

I suppose that it would work, but I have not seen any of the "solar generators" offer that option.  I don't know if it is a feature they overlooked or that a "solar generator" is much more sexy than a "jumper battery"!!!

I don't know enough about electricity to know if it would fry some electronics or now, but it should work with the jumper cable plugged into the 12 volt outlet.  I guess you can check the outlet amps from the 12 volt plug??

Wait...the box says the 12 volt output is 12 volts at 10 amps.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com