OT: Faulty LED Lights

SuiteSuccess

I noticed in our camper (2017 DRV 39 DBRS3) that a number of our LED lights were only illuminating 1/2 the diodes and several were “flickering”.  I was going to replace them and found they were the LS1508-A made by Command Electronics.  When disassembling to find maker and part number, I noticed the light was extremely hot to the touch and had a brown gel discharge.  Further research showed on several other RV forums this has been a problem with one forum having measured the temps close to 200 degrees F.  I contacted Command Electronics and she acknowledged that in 2017 they had received a faulty batch of boards.  They are going to replace my lights with newer.  I have no knowledge if later boards are faulty but if you have Command LEDs might want to check them for heat and faults.  Below is a pic of mine.

6YPKbsQl.jpg
bKUjQevl.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

28 minutes ago, spindrift said:

200° for an LED??  Yikes!

My thoughts exactly.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Command Electronics gave me 52 replacement element for my 2017 DRV Fullhouse. I've already had @ 20 changes before I found out that they would replace them.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Command Electronics sent me 50+ new led light boards for my 2017 DRV as well (back in 2017).  I replaced them as they would go bad.  I still have a box full of those boards in my shop.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

10 hours ago, hatrack said:

Command Electronics gave me 52 replacement element for my 2017 DRV Fullhouse. I've already had @ 20 changes before I found out that they would replace them.

Ken....

I’m in talks with them now.  I was very concerned about the temp/fire potential.  They have admitted to having defective boards.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Command replacing all my LEDs of this number under warranty. Great customer service. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3